PDA

View Full Version : Indexing

Jenny Trice
03-07-2018, 9:19 PM
I have a Jet 1642 EVS and am exploring indexing for the firs time. I am interested in using the provided holes but I do not believe I have the pin. Is there on board storage for the pin somewhere? I bought the lathe used and fear that the pin was lost in the transaction. What is the thread size of the indexing holes and could I just get a bolt with the appropriate threads and use it in the indexing holes?

Any help would be appreciated. I have done some searching and am not finding much info on how to index.

Thanks.

Len Mullin
03-07-2018, 9:27 PM
Jenny, did you check out You-Tube for indexing videos, there's a fair amount of them on there?
Len

David M Peters
03-07-2018, 9:31 PM
Here's a better view (https://www.ereplacementparts.com/index-pin-p-544713.html) of the part, I'm not sure if a standard bolt would work due to the taper on the end.

For $5 (plus shipping) you might as well just get a replacement! I've bought stuff from them before with no issues.

Dwight Rutherford
03-07-2018, 10:57 PM
It’s a 5/16, 18tpi thread. Grind the threads back 1/4” and you’ve got one.

John K Jordan
03-08-2018, 8:00 AM
I have a Jet 1642 EVS and am exploring indexing for the firs time....I have done some searching and am not finding much info on how to index.

Jenny,

I don't think there is an on-board storage spot for the indexing pin. I keep mine in a small drawer.

When I say I keep them there, I mean it - I never get one out! I have a PM3520b and a Jet 1642 set up in my shop and they both have the same indexing method built in. My opinion it is horrible. Page 27 of the 1642 manual has the chart and instructions. If anyone thinks it is clear and easy to use they are a lot more clever than I. I'm sure there are some people out there using this but I sure don't know any.

The PM has a similar contorted method but uses four threaded holes instead of three. (That doesn't make it any better!) The only thing I've use the indexing for is to occasionally lock the spindle in certain positions to help with carving and hand sanding oddly shaped pieces but I have better ways to do that now.

Besides being confusing and easy to mess up, there are a several useful angles not possible to index. You also can't align the series of divisions with some feature on the work.

The first time I wanted to use indexing I tried the built-in method then gave up and bought this indexing plate:
http://alisam.com/large-indexing-systems.html

This makes it very clear to see what is going on and to align the divisions with the work. You can buy just the plate and easily make your own indexing pin to save some money. The plate is held on by the chuck or if not using a chuck, a big nut they supply. There are other indexing wheels available but I chose this one based on advice from others I trust.

Also, lots of people have made their own indexing wheels from plastic or metal, either laying out the holes by hand or with a machinist's rotary table, then drilling the holes on a mill or with a drill press. I have a mill and rotary table but it was a lot easier and quicker to buy the plate! If you google alisam indexing wheel jet 1642 you will find lots of info including useful discussions on other web sites.

BTW, I have mostly used indexing to lay out things like this for chip carving:

380783 380784 380785

JKJ

JohnC Lucas
03-08-2018, 8:59 AM
I'm with John. I much prefer aftermarket index systems. They just flat out work better. I have one homemade system, The ironfire nylon disc, and the aluminum Alisam. They all have advantages in the ease of use, the number of hole choices and how easy to install. What I prefer is my homemade spring loaded index locking pin. Screwing a screw in and out may be more positive but is incredibly slow to use, especially with 24 or 36 indexes. The Alisam has a very positive easy to set up index locking system but mine is just as fast to set up and 1000 time easier to use. It will also work on any of the chucks that have index holes. Here is a photo of my system in use. In both the metal jig and the wooden one the spring pin rotates so I can use it either in the chuck or in one of my index wheels.
What I really like about this index lock is to be able to instantly lock the chuck in any position for sanding with the lathe off. Makes it really easy to power sand or hand sand torn grain areas. Of course it's also good for fluting or carving where you need to position the work and lock it down.

Robert Henrickson
03-08-2018, 11:21 AM
I don't think there is an on-board storage spot for the indexing pin. I keep mine in a small drawer. When I say I keep them there, I mean it - I never get one out! I have a PM3520b and a Jet 1642 set up in my shop and they both have the same indexing method built in. My opinion it is horrible. Page 27 of the 1642 manual has the chart and instructions. If anyone thinks it is clear and easy to use they are a lot more clever than I. I'm sure there are some people out there using this but I sure don't know any.
The PM has a similar contorted method but uses four threaded holes instead of three. (That doesn't make it any better!)
Besides being confusing and easy to mess up, there are a several useful angles not possible to index. You also can't align the series of divisions with some feature on the work.

I would have to agree that the indexing method on both the Jet and PM is awful. The Jet [1642] indeed lacks the ability to index at least one *basic* angle, although I can't remember which. I spent an hour trying for that angle, following the manual table, then consulted John Keeton who also had a 1642 at that time. He also failed. The manual listed the same settings for two different angles. The one time I used the Jet indexing set up I ended up putting pieces of tape all over the lathe and workpiece to keep track of what was happening. Didn't use it again. I have an indexing wheel now, should I need it. Never used the indexing on the PM in the time I had it -- one reason was that it was like that on the Jet.

I have yet to try indexing on my AB.

JohnC Lucas
03-08-2018, 11:40 AM
One problem I have with indexing on most machines is that you can't see the index wheel. You don't know where you are or where you've been and it's really easy to screw up. With aftermarket wheels you see what's happening or it's easy to put tape on the wheel to help you out. What I do is use a set of dividers. I'll set the dividers for the number of holes I want to skip. Then I just put one leg in the hole I'm on, release the index lock and move it to the other leg of the pointer that is in the new hole. No screw ups ever with this method. The New Powermatic 3520C show index postions on it's digital readout. Pretty cool. I was trying to find the video that shows that but have lost it.

John K Jordan
03-08-2018, 12:27 PM
... The New Powermatic 3520C show index postions on it's digital readout. Pretty cool. I was trying to find the video that shows that but have lost it.

Briefly, at 3:52 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLrq9o6aj4w

JKJ

Jenny Trice
03-08-2018, 8:02 PM
Thank you all for your input. I will look into getting an indexing plate. The pin doesn't sound like it is worth the time to try to learn how to use it!