PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Lumber Run and Creeker Visitors

David LaRue
11-12-2005, 9:31 PM
I hosted the 1st Chicagoland Lumber Run today. My wife and I enjoyed meeting several folks from Sawmill Creek, including: (sorry if I missed anyone) :o Thanks for comming over!

Russel Massery
Paul Muhlstat
John Clifford
Duane Becker
Lars Thomas
Matt Clifford

http://home.comcast.net/~placekeeper/assets/images/Image_2_300.jpg

For more pictures and to see who won some free clamps & lumber click on the link below.

http://home.comcast.net/~placekeeper/index.html

lou sansone
11-13-2005, 5:35 AM
wow

looks like you managed to pull this off. pretty good. his prices were decent for kiln stuff as well. would you mind sharing the history behind this event? is this the first time you have tried to do this? what lessons learned if any could you share with the rest of the folks? did the folks have to pay in advance of the wood or did they have to show up and pay for what they said they would pay for?

thanks
lou

David LaRue
11-13-2005, 8:32 AM
Lou,

A couple of years back I trecked up to Michigan to purchase wood from Steve after not finding what I was looking for locally. Steve and his wife are real nice folks and his wood is outstanding.

This is mine and Steve's first Chicagoland lumber run. He said he made a lumber run to Ann Arbor Michigan earlier in the year. When steve was looking for a host and I thought it would be fun to meet some of my fellow woodworkers. Scott from Adjustable Clamp (a Chicago company) lives a mile away,and is a fellow woodworker, asked if he could come by and give away some clamps to the attendees (yes!, you always use more clamps). Folks came from Wisconson, Indiana, and Illinois.

Leasons learned:

I think that having the get together centraly located, near major freeways and on a through street (or a huge property with a turn around for trailers) are all needed to it go smoothly.
I used my garage to put up tables, food, and had The :D football game on. And to keep out of the couple of rain bursts we had.
Have fun!David

Tim Armstrong
11-13-2005, 12:42 PM
David - what a great idea. I've often wondered if anybody in Chicagoland ever did lumber runs like this one since there doesn't seem to be too many reasonably priced lumber outlets in the metro area for those of us who want to buy rough-sawn.

I know that Kettle Moraine Hardwoods up in Racine seems to have reasonable prices and a good selection too - but driving up there and, in my case, renting a truck to do it, isn't practical for just one guy.

I didn't didn't see the post about your lumber party until late Friday night so I figured it was too late. I live up on the north side in the city - not sure if that is close to you or not, but would love to participate if you do this kind of thing again.

Great idea - please do it again!

Mike Circo
11-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Dave,
I just had to add my thanks for hosting this little event. You and your wife were more than gracious hosts. Food, chairs, and letting a bunch of lunitics trample your lawn! Plus you arranged for the Jorgie guys to attend, great touch.

I did not make a big purchase, just picked up a few walnut boards. However they are excellent quality. The Hickory and Oak folks have some beautiful stuff.

Thanks again!
SawDat

Lars Thomas
11-14-2005, 9:37 AM
David, thanks for hosting the lumber run. I apprecaite you opening your home to us. Winning the nice Clamps was much apprecaited - by my calculations, that made my haul of ash and maple free (well almost). I was able to stop by this morning and pick up the 'lost' package. Thanks for leaving it out.
Also, I couldn't help but notice the community on Plainfield Road called Sawmill Creek! Did I read that sign right? Thanks. Again. Lars

Tyler Howell
11-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a great party.:cool:

David LaRue
11-14-2005, 7:40 PM
Lars,

Yes, ironically yes it is Sawmillcreek! Sorry you had to come back and reteive the misplaced item :D Kids will do that to you from time to time. :rolleyes: I trust that it stayed dry in bag.

Great meeting you and your family.

David

David LaRue
11-14-2005, 7:41 PM
Tyler,

It was a great party. Next time you need to come on down and join us!

David

Russ Massery
11-14-2005, 8:02 PM
Thanks Dave, I had great time chatting with some of your freind from that OTHER forum;). Maybe we can bring them over here:rolleyes:. I thought the whole thing was a great idea hopefully the weather will cooperate next time. Steve and his wife are great people. Thanks again!