PDA

View Full Version : EFSTS part 6 of ???

Paul B. Cresti
11-12-2005, 9:26 PM
Well as I stated my goal after my last delivery was to make a new router table and install it at the location of the outfeed table of my MM S35. What I came up with is a two insert table, it also acts as my new cutoff table, where the insert closest to the slider will be used for dados and the farthest one will be used for normal router table use. I also use my router table as my spindle sander via my PC OSS. I now basicly have a saw/shaper setup but still have my real shaper free to do its real work. I have all kinds of inserts I made for the router and OSS in order to accomodate all sizes of bits. I made the router table about 6 years ago. So guess what?....... I can now state another great reason to have a EFSTS and this time no matter what size of slider you have it will give you the great ease, safety and speed of super accurate dados.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2005, 9:37 PM
Very cool Paul. Love the pictures. Keep posting them.

Jerry Clark
11-12-2005, 9:52 PM
Great idea Paul, thanks for sharing!:D

David Pettibone
11-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Paul, may I please have one tenth of your brain cells???:( :( :( Okay, one hundreth of them???? Okay, okay, whatever you can spare!!! You can reduce them in size and email them to me and I'll hook a cable up to my cranium and enlarge:eek: them as needed!!! :D Nice project and well built. Keep it up dude, you inspire me.

David:)

Jim Becker
11-12-2005, 10:52 PM
That worked out beautifully, Paul. Great idea!

lou sansone
11-13-2005, 5:27 AM
great idea and exicution of it. besides using this for a dado setup.. will you also think of it as a sliding table shaper ?
lou

Richard Wolf
11-13-2005, 8:46 AM
Boy, I can see a new product line for Mini Max.

Richard

Paul B. Cresti
11-13-2005, 7:56 PM
great idea and exicution of it. besides using this for a dado setup.. will you also think of it as a sliding table shaper ?
lou

Lou,
I can if I want to but the router for the slider is to be used for dados only. I have a shaper with a sliding table for my regular work. Does anyone know of adjustable router bits??

Sam Blasco
11-13-2005, 9:09 PM
Looking good, Paul. Another advantage to that set up is that the crosscut fence can be positioned further to the right or closer to the router bit.

Paul B. Cresti
11-13-2005, 9:37 PM
Looking good, Paul. Another advantage to that set up is that the crosscut fence can be positioned further to the right or closer to the router bit.

Yup already was thinking about that or come up with some zero clearance add on faces for the crosscut fence. I like making my own dentil molding and this face with a protruding notch will fit the bill quite nicely to make all those dentils!

Gary Curtis
11-13-2005, 10:17 PM
Paul, I got excited when I saw your idea of a router top on the outfeed side of a sliding table saw. I'm taking delivery of a General with an outrigger sliding table in about 5 weeks.

And I was confounded by the thought of putting a router in the extension table. (excuse me if I mangle the terminology -- I'm a wood newbie) I've not yet seen a General sliding table, just the saw. So I don't know how the cross-cut fence would work with a router on the outfeed table.

My sole need for a router is edge work: some jointing, and for a few Dados. I have a wall-mounted WoodRat to handle making joints. I don't want a dedicated router table on the floor.

Will I be able to use the cross-cut and rip fences in conjunction with the router? I know I'll need some kind of split fence for jointing.

Gary Curtis
Los Angeles

Paul B. Cresti
11-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Paul, I got excited when I saw your idea of a router top on the outfeed side of a sliding table saw. I'm taking delivery of a General with an outrigger sliding table in about 5 weeks.

And I was confounded by the thought of putting a router in the extension table. (excuse me if I mangle the terminology -- I'm a wood newbie) I've not yet seen a General sliding table, just the saw. So I don't know how the cross-cut fence would work with a router on the outfeed table.

My sole need for a router is edge work: some jointing, and for a few Dados. I have a wall-mounted WoodRat to handle making joints. I don't want a dedicated router table on the floor.

Will I be able to use the cross-cut and rip fences in conjunction with the router? I know I'll need some kind of split fence for jointing.

Gary Curtis
Los Angeles
Gary,
I am not sure if the stroke of your sliding table will be long enough. My slider is a 10.5ft model so I have just a bit to play with. I would guess you will be getting something like the Excaliber on your General. I suppose it might work if you mount the router right after the cast iron table but most definately check the slider after it is set up. Many people have their router table in their CS mounted in the side extension board, where the rip fence sits. This way you can use your rip fence as the guide, make face plates for it or just make a new one.

Gary Curtis
11-13-2005, 11:48 PM
Not the Excalibur configuration. The General is a true outrigger sliding table mounted where the left extension wing would be. Owing to the small marketing exposure of General, I haven't even seen the table. Just the saw, which resembles a Powermatic or a Grizzly or a Unisaw.

The Catalog and the Website at General don't saw much about the slider. Why did I buy something I haven't seen? I dunno. If I could have had a Knapp or a Felder or MiniMax, things might be different. When I take delivery, I'll post a "Gloat" o'gram here on SMC. With the saw sitting in my shop fully assembled, I'll find out just what the stroke of the table is. It appears pretty generous, but certainly not equal to a Euro 10-foot slider. And I'll evaluate its capability and post numbers and impressions on SMC.

Should the outfeed configuration prove unfruitful, I'll still be a lucky guy to have the router in the right extension table. I still marvel at your concept for the outfeed table. Great possibilities!

Gary

Gary Curtis
11-13-2005, 11:57 PM
Photo of the General Sliding Table.

Gary C.

tod evans
11-14-2005, 10:49 AM
paul to answer your question about adjustable dado router bits. check out a company called her-safe, the bits aren`t of the dial-a-width type but it`s extreemly fast to add different sized heads to the shank and they`re good stuff. tod

Howard Barlow
11-14-2005, 11:33 AM
Paul, good looking table. Is that vac attachment homemade, or a commercial unit? I like it.

Jim Becker
11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Is that vac attachment homemade, or a commercial unit? I like it.
Howard, if you are refering to the overarm guard, it's part of the saw and from Mini Max.

Howard Barlow
11-14-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks, Jim. I guess I'll have to forego that for a while.:D

Paul B. Cresti
11-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Paul, good looking table. Is that vac attachment homemade, or a commercial unit? I like it.

Howard,
Yes Jim is correct it comes with the saw. It was free but I did have to buy the machine first ;) ....it works extremely well. It goes up and down, to get out of the way for blade changes, has two different guard widths to allow a tilted blade and 90d blade and it pivots on its post both ways to completely move off of the table. It also has a gas piston assited lift. It is the most elegant and functional OH guard I have ever seen and it is just about all steel except for the handle and clear plastic. You have got to hand it to those Italians they sure know how to make nice stuff :) ;).....did I ever tell you I was Italian ...hehehe:p

Gary Curtis
11-14-2005, 2:10 PM
Paul, to condense my questions about using the sliding table on the General saw in conjunction with an out-feed router table,

a) Which fence do I use to run Dados, say, for a book shelf?
b) Which fence do I use to route edges?
c) Where does the rip fence play a role with routing?

You asked me about the stroke of the General slider. It is 60", and I don't know how far that puts the slider on the outfit side. I hope it's enough to permit running routed dados in a board 10" wide or so.

Gary Curtis

Paul B. Cresti
11-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Paul, to condense my questions about using the sliding table on the General saw in conjunction with an out-feed router table,

a) Which fence do I use to run Dados, say, for a book shelf?
b) Which fence do I use to route edges?
c) Where does the rip fence play a role with routing?

You asked me about the stroke of the General slider. It is 60", and I don't know how far that puts the slider on the outfit side. I hope it's enough to permit running routed dados in a board 10" wide or so.

Gary Curtis

Gary,

A) if the bookshelf is very long and thin ...use the crosscut fence. If it is very wide and provides a stable long edge then you could use the rip fence (extended beyond the bit) or use a dado head on the saw.

B)If you are routing edges then you use the rip fence or shop made fence. Keep in mind the idea for routing edges/profiles is to have half of the cutter exposed only .. so the rip fence will need some kind of auxillary attachments in order to achieve this. I would suggest making or buying a separate router fence.

c) I think it works best for dados or rabets (with a sacrifical face on it)

I believe the 60" stroke should be good enough for solid stock but for the side of carcases it might be real close. I would almost ask a full European combo user's (with a 5ft slider) opinion on this as they have the shaper in roughly the same position.

Howard Barlow
11-15-2005, 12:39 AM
It was free but I did have to buy the machine first ;)

That's how they gitcha!:D