PDA

View Full Version : interchangeable handle system

Brian Deakin
03-06-2018, 2:57 PM
My question

Who do members believe makes the best interchangeable handle system and why

John Keeton
03-06-2018, 3:16 PM
Brian, I assume you are talking about handles that permit the tool to be removed and a new one inserted? There are some quick change handle systems that folks like, but as I recall they are a bit pricey and I don't have any experience with those as I do not care for the idea of "interchanging" handles as I work. I prefer to have a dedicated handle. I have a large "collection" of D-Way handles (http://d-waytools.com/handles/) and love them because of the PVC covering - warm in the winter and comfortable to grip. As are many of the handles available, the D-Way are available in various sizes, which I find to be a nice feature. I notice that Dave has changed the covering somewhat, but they still appear to be very similar to what I have. Doug Thompson makes a very nice handle that is faceted to keep it from rolling. I haven't noticed that issue, but I also do not care for the feel of the aluminum in the winter. I keep my shop around 55*, or so, and a metal handle would not be comfortable.

Reed Gray
03-06-2018, 3:32 PM
This is some thing I am looking into more and more. One reason is for travel because you will have less to transport, like 3 or 4 handles and a bunch of tools. The other is for sharpening because it is easier to sharpen a short shaft than the whole length tool. They do tend to have more weight than I like, but it is some thing I can adapt to...

robo hippy

Brian Deakin
03-06-2018, 3:33 PM
John thank you for your post
You are correct

I am talking about handles that permit the tool to be removed and a new one inserted

Roger Chandler
03-06-2018, 4:10 PM
I like the Serious Toolworks Cam-Loc handles.
http://www.serioustoolworks.com/images/camlock-handle.jpg
One can insert a gouge nearly all the way in for storage, or adjust the length to suit the need. They have a neoprene cover over stainless steel, and are warm in winter, absorb vibration well from the cut, and won't rust. The Thompson tools also fit the Serious Cam-Loc collets. I really like these. I have some of Doug Thompson's custom handles with my name engraved, but in winter, they make turning short lived and uncomfortable in my less than well heated shop.

JohnC Lucas
03-06-2018, 4:32 PM
I like the thompson tool handles. I am a fan of Big Eddy's tool handles but he no longer makes them. They use an R8 Collet and aluminum handle. Very quick to remove the tool from the handle and you can buy a whole set of R8 collets cheap so you can have any size. I made my own version using PVC pipe. I wrapped the tapered end with thread and coated it with CA glue for a ferrule. I am surprised it's held up for as many years as it has.

Joe Kaufman
03-06-2018, 5:15 PM
The SB Tools carbon fiber ER collet handles, not the taper lock version, have a lot of good features. Probably the only drawback is they are on the pricey side.

http://www.woodworkersemporium.com/sb-tools-carbon-fiber-er-collet-handles/

Robust sells the ER collet system with or without handles. Looks like the Ellsworth handled version is no longer an option.

John K Jordan
03-06-2018, 5:30 PM
My question
Who do members believe makes the best interchangeable handle system and why

I can't help much with commercial handles. For heavy tools I like the long steel Monster handles with soft grips and set screws to hold the tools. They feel great and well balanced to me with enough mass to take some abuse - but I don't know if you can still buy them. There are some that are quick connect - just a twist. I didn't like any of the ones I tried since they held the tool only by the very end of the shaft.

Some of what is the "best" may depend on what you turn. You might mention if you are looking for handles for big tools or for smaller tools. Big honkin' bowls and platters, delicate finials, boxes, spindles, ???

I mostly enjoy turning smaller things. I bought one small Thompson which is nice but to me the handle doesn't feel as good as a wood handle.

But for most of my tools I make my own interchangeable handles because:
- I make them exactly as I want them.
- They are so cheap to make they are almost free - just take some time

I make inserts with set screws to hold the tool. I drill a deep hole in the handle so I can sink the shaft of the tool far inside to control the protrusion - for example I can keep it the same as the tool gets shorter. For small diameter tools such as 1/4" spindle gouges and skews, I like to make small diameter inserts so I can grip easily on the very end when I'm working one-handed.

It helps to have a metal-cutting lathe if making them from steel but aluminum inserts are easy enough to make on the wood lathe with standard woodturning tools. The first two are for fairly large diameter spindle tools (5/8" shafts) and large rectangular shaft skews.

380686 380687 380682 380684

The third insert in this picture is one I bought. I don't like it - the diameter is too large for the size of the tool. The second one is far more comfortable and controllable.

I made this one on the wood lathe:

JKJ

Jeffrey J Smith
03-06-2018, 5:39 PM
I second John’s opinion od the D-Way handles - they’re great. Easy on the hands. I use the Quick-change knobs Dave sells - they look like they’d get in the way, but in practice I don’t notice it at all when turning. Makes getting the tool out to sharpen a quick operation without needing to find the allen wrench.

Robust sells the ER collet system with or without handles. Looks like the Ellsworth handled version is no longer an option.
That’s a shame. I’ve got one of the Ellesworth handles and it is far and away my favorite. Unfinished wood with the collet system; warm and comfortable on the hands. It also has a nice profile/shape that feels great in the grip. That said, it wasn’t cheapest option.

Reed Gray
03-06-2018, 9:41 PM
I have a couple of Dave's handles. I can put scrapers in them if I screw down onto the edge of the tang rather than the flat. I am experimenting with NRS's and have maybe 10 different ones.... Makes it handy.

robo hippy

Brian Deakin
03-07-2018, 8:21 AM
John

A huge thank you for your excellent post which I found very interesting Your approach of making your own handless

also the added advantages of a sense of achievement and producing handles which appear to be very tactile

Grant Wilkinson
03-07-2018, 9:37 AM
I have 3 sizes of the Jimmy Clewes cam locks, made by Doug Thompson and I love them. I find is much easier to sharpen gouges with the handle, and its inherent leverage, out of the picture.

John Beaver
03-07-2018, 12:56 PM
I also use the Jimmy Clewes cam locks sold by Doug Thompson. They are super fast and efficient. I make my own wood handles for them.

I can make the handles perfectly sized for my hand, custom length, as well I drill out the back and add shot for balance. I prefer the feel of wood to metal or sponge.

John K Jordan
03-07-2018, 1:07 PM
John

A huge thank you for your excellent post which I found very interesting Your approach of making your own handless

also the added advantages of a sense of achievement and producing handles which appear to be very tactile

Come visit and we'll make one for you to take home!

JKJ

Brian Deakin
03-09-2018, 4:19 PM
Originally Posted by John

Come visit and we'll make one for you to take home!

Thank you for your kind offer Perhaps one day I will

regards Brian

Dave Mueller
03-10-2018, 11:17 AM
I normally use permanent handles for my tools, but do have a Jimmy Clewes handle. My problem with it is that it is expensive and only allows the tool to go in about 2". So like John, I made my own. I used flare fittings from Lowes. The tool can be locked by hand or you can use a wrench if a tighter grip is needed. A description was published in the Hints section of the June 2015 issue American Woodturner. You can download a more detailed set of instructions at http://www.aggieturner.com/handle%20adapter%20instructions.pdf.