PDA

View Full Version : New Table Saw

Rob Davenport
03-06-2018, 1:54 PM
I finally have enough in my budget($1500) for a decent cabinet table saw. Now what I need is some help choosing one! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Ontko
03-06-2018, 2:18 PM
Rob - I was in the very same position at the end of the year, and then my targeted table saw manufacturer raised the price $200 on the model I was looking at :(

If it helps any, my sites are focused on Grizzly's G0690 or possibly the G1023RL.

What are your needs, wants, and requirements? You gotta feed the beast here otherwise you might end up starting another back and forth post over SS vs slider vs old 'arn.

What are you operating with now and how's that been working out for you? Do you need more power, more accuracy, a cool paint job, or something else more specific?

Do you have a lot of room within your shop so you can fit in either an extended fence rail or a slider/combo system?

Do you need the saw to be mobile or can it remain in a fixed position.

Are you concerned about safety and don't trust yourself to the perils of working around a carbide-tipped saw blade spinning at around 4500 RPM?

What are your thoughts about dust collection - over and under the blade?

andy bessette
03-06-2018, 2:22 PM
Watch for a good deal on a clean, used Unisaw or equivalent.

scott spencer
03-06-2018, 4:40 PM
Look for a good used Unisaw, PM66 or General 350/650. For just a bit more you can get a new Grizzly G1023RL (http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3-HP-240V-Cabinet-Left-Tilting-Table-Saw/G1023RL) with a riving knife and warranty - $1590 shipped.

Bill Space
03-06-2018, 8:50 PM
Several years ago I upgraded from a Craftsman contractors saw to a Grizzly Grizzly G1023RL series. I could not be more pleased with it. For me the riving knife is a big deal over old iron. To each his own...

Anyway, apparently the G1023RL falls within your budget. Give it serious consideration. It is everything I could ask for, with the exception of a blade brake safety feature, which is out of your budget range for a cabinet saw.

Bill

Nick Lazz
03-06-2018, 9:33 PM
I agree with the posters. Grizzly is a very good option and so is a quality used saw.
I have the G0691 and have been happy with it, though slightly more than your budget.
The fence is probably the most important part...I have the large rip capacity but I think I could get by without that as I rarely cut anything larger that 24” on the table saw. A riving knife with easy and accurate adjustment would be another consideration. I think they are important.

Rob Davenport
03-07-2018, 5:14 PM
Hiya Mike!
i want a powerful enough saw that i can do just about all types of woodworking on.
i have a ryobi folding contractor saw.
room will not be an issue(finally!) as we are building a good sized pole barn.
if i can get one that will accept an add on mobile base would be good.
not too worried about safety, i'm assuming you referring to the saw stop.
decent dust collection would be nice. i plan to have central dust collection with outlets/inlets around the shop.
i have looked at the Grizzly saws, they look nice, but are they good quality? i have a Grizzly oscillating spindle sander that has held up over the years and seems good quality. not too sure yet whether 110 or 220. since the building will be new i can go either way. also not sure what hp tom get. does the old adage work here? more is better? i usually make outdoor furniture and toys for my grandkids. however, we just bought some stuff for granddaughters doll house and couldn't believe how much they cost and how easy they appear to make. was thinking about maybe making a little cash on the side with the doll furniture. also, i want this to be my last saw!

Martin Wasner
03-07-2018, 7:41 PM
A little bit of patience you can find a used Tannewitz or Northfield for half that. Other truly industrial saws, same story

Mel Fulks
03-07-2018, 8:05 PM
A little bit of patience you can find a used Tannewitz or Northfield for half that. Other truly industrial saws, same story

Yep, but put Oliver on the list,too

Robert Chapman
03-07-2018, 9:11 PM
Save,borrow or steal another $1000 and buy a SawStop.

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 1:28 AM
Save,borrow or steal another $1000 and buy a SawStop.
Buying a new tablesaw today without the SawStop feature is like buying a new car without any of the new safety features (blind spot warning, rear mirror camera, etc.). All new tablesaws down the road will be mandated to have a finger saving feature if CSPC is serious about pushing on that front.

I would rather put off getting a new saw until I have saved enough for a SawStop. Buy once and it will just be a one time investment

Simon

glenn bradley
03-08-2018, 9:22 AM
Not everyone is shopping in the $3k market although this seems to be a definite tier in tablesaws. If your rate of saving is such that waiting for something like a Saw Stop PCS or a Powermatic 2000 then the Grizzly 1023 or 690 family saw is a typical winner at the $1500 tier.

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 9:56 AM
Correct that if the OP can't wait until he saves more for a SS, he should buy now whatever he can afford. Only he can assess how urgent he needs a cabinet saw in the coming months vs how much longer it will take him to save enough for a SS PCS, which can be months or years. I happen to believe in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy.

A more important question, of course, is that if he considers a finger saving feature necessary or highly desirable at all. Since he said any help is appreciated in his post, I am in agreement with Robert's suggestion that a SS should not be ruled out in his consideration and hence added my voice to his suggestion. In a Festool forum discussion, someone was determined at the beginning to get a SS contractor saw, but after other members pointing out why a PCS was more suitable for him, he changed his mind and landed on a PCS deal instead (coinciding with a free-upgrade promotion offer, I think). I am simply adding my comments in the belief that the more information the OP has, a better decision he can reach.

Simon

Ole Anderson
03-08-2018, 10:09 AM
I have had a Grizz 1023 for 15 years and couldn't be happier. You can always upgrade the rails and fence in the future if you wish as well as adding overhead collection with a SharkGuard. Or you could wait 5 years an see if the SS technology migrates to all table saws at an affordable price point.

Mike Ontko
03-08-2018, 10:11 AM
...also, i want this to be my last saw!

Last saw? Are you sure you're in the right message board?? ;) ;)

Don't get me wrong, the $$ range that you're looking in should provide you with plenty of options for a decent new or used saw. But in this price range, anything you pick up is really just a "gateway" model to that next level of equipment, like the Saw Stop PCS or PM2000 Glenn has mentioned.

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 10:13 AM
I have had a Grizz 1023 for 15 years and couldn't be happier. You can always upgrade the rails and fence in the future if you wish as well as adding overhead collection with a SharkGuard. Or you could wait 5 years an see if the SS technology migrates to all table saws at an affordable price point.

5 years? That's pretty optimistic based on the information available in the public domain.

Simon

eugene thomas
03-08-2018, 10:34 AM
Wonder how many fingers would be saved if the table saw guard was used. Seems most YouTube videos of tablesaw mishaps the guard is "sitting over in the corner"....

scott spencer
03-08-2018, 11:43 AM
Hiya Mike!
i want a powerful enough saw that i can do just about all types of woodworking on.
i have a ryobi folding contractor saw.
room will not be an issue(finally!) as we are building a good sized pole barn.
if i can get one that will accept an add on mobile base would be good.
not too worried about safety, i'm assuming you referring to the saw stop.
decent dust collection would be nice. i plan to have central dust collection with outlets/inlets around the shop.
i have looked at the Grizzly saws, they look nice, but are they good quality? i have a Grizzly oscillating spindle sander that has held up over the years and seems good quality. not too sure yet whether 110 or 220. since the building will be new i can go either way. also not sure what hp tom get. does the old adage work here? more is better? i usually make outdoor furniture and toys for my grandkids. however, we just bought some stuff for granddaughters doll house and couldn't believe how much they cost and how easy they appear to make. was thinking about maybe making a little cash on the side with the doll furniture. also, i want this to be my last saw!

I'd definitely go 220v 3hp since you have the choice. That will likely give you all the power you could ever hope for, and then some. The G1023RL or G0690 are both excellent well proven saws with a large happy following. Among the best bangs for the buck on the market IMO. You rarely read of an issue with either one, and there are lots of them in service.

Martin Wasner
03-08-2018, 12:25 PM
I happen to believe in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy.

Then why the Sawstop push?

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 12:56 PM

My first thought was Why Not?, but then a calmer mind took over: what does the Buy Once, Cry Once has ANYTHING to do with a push (or not)?

By the way, you can push whatever brand/model you want. And I still won't question your motive, because I like people expressing their passion on things they value highly, SawStop or not.

Simon

Martin Wasner
03-08-2018, 1:03 PM
My first thought was Why Not?, but then a calmer mind took over: what does the Buy Once, Cry Once has ANYTHING to do with a push (or not)?

By the way, you can push whatever brand/model you want. And I still won't question your motive, because I like people expressing their passion on things they value highly, SawStop or not.

Simon

Anything? Time for hand holding again simon? The idea behind buy once, cry once is that you buy the best with the intent of never having to experience that expenditure again. Right? So why push for a mediocre saw that isn't the best? Good enough probably, but I do believe you are overstating the quality of the tin box saws when there are better options for less money available. Right?

andy bessette
03-08-2018, 1:04 PM

Some few simply cannot get it through their heads to keep body parts away from the spinning blade.

mark kosse
03-08-2018, 1:08 PM
Buying a new tablesaw today without the SawStop feature is like buying a new car without any of the new safety features (blind spot warning, rear mirror camera, etc.).

Simon

I'd buy that car...

OP,You really should include where your at. For instance, I have a Uni I'd sell cheap. some others may be in the same boat.

Martin Wasner
03-08-2018, 1:09 PM
Some few simply cannot get it through their heads to keep body parts away from the spinning blade.

I'm not picking on that aspect. I just hate misinformation. Some of these old industrial saws can be had for a song, and they are pure joy in comparison to use than most of current production saws. The Sawstop isn't bad, it just isn't incredible. The paint is shiny, the fence is pretty nice, the fit and finish is okay, but most of that isn't important.

Robert Pugmire
03-08-2018, 1:22 PM
Any unisaw with a decent fence is a massive step up from a ryobi contractor saw IMO.

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 2:25 PM
I'd buy that car...

OP,You really should include where your at. For instance, I have a Uni I'd sell cheap. some others may be in the same boat.
Sorry, soon, you can only buy new cars with some of those safety installed by default due to regulations. Of course, you are free to buy older stock or old cars without any of the new features. And for less money, too.

Simon

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 2:29 PM
I'm not picking on that aspect. I just hate misinformation. Some of these old industrial saws can be had for a song, and they are pure joy in comparison to use than most of current production saws. The Sawstop isn't bad, it just isn't incredible. The paint is shiny, the fence is pretty nice, the fit and finish is okay, but most of that isn't important.

Old industrial saws? Some of those without guards or dust collection?

I would not recommend any of those for hobbyist shops.

Simon

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 2:33 PM
Let the record speak for itself: SS is the #1 selling cabinet saw in the States.

Simon

Nick Decker
03-08-2018, 2:41 PM
It'd be nice to have a table saw discussion without the Evangelists. On both sides.

andy bessette
03-08-2018, 2:41 PM
Let the record speak for itself: SS is the #1 selling cabinet saw in the States.

Simon

Who cares?

eugene thomas
03-08-2018, 2:47 PM
So Simon. What a medal to put on your best ever saw. Can polish it every night before ya let it rest.

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 2:49 PM
It'd be nice to have a table saw discussion without the Evangelists. On both sides.

Agreed. The OP is looking for suggestions, suggestions that one has had extensive experience with. I have used the suggested SS since the early days it was released.

Simon

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 2:53 PM
So Simon. What a medal to put on your best ever saw. Can polish it every night before ya let it rest.

No. The medal is put on the finished product made possible by the saw.

Simon

Martin Wasner
03-08-2018, 3:17 PM
Who cares?

That must make it the best.

Ray Hammer
03-08-2018, 3:27 PM
So you see everyone has an opinion. I work in the Technical Education Field, i have used and seen almost every saw mentioned here. We use the biggest and best Sawstop table saw made currently at our school. Its safety features work, i have seen it first hand. That said it can still hurt you if you are not careful. I have owned a UNI and currently own a 1966 and a 1982 model PM 66. I love them period. I have many friends who are professional furniture makers and cabinet makers that would not own a Grizzly. I have heard horror stories of switches, motors, and levers breaking over and over. To be fair most of these complaints were not about their table saws though. I also know a few people that love Grizzly so there you go. Bottom line, buy the best you can afford. If your on a tight budget, 3 phase PM 66 can be bought for around 800, buy a phase converter and your in a fine saw that will last a lifetime for under a thousand. Single phase 3 HP goes for around 1200.00 depending on fence. That's what I see in Louisville and Nashville area anyway. Hope this helps.

Rob Davenport
03-08-2018, 3:48 PM
i meant "last saw" i ever buy! i'm 62

Rob Davenport
03-08-2018, 3:51 PM
thanx everyone for your valuable input! it is very much appreciated!!

johnny means
03-08-2018, 6:09 PM
Rob, I would check a certain auction site that would appear to be related to federal taxation but isn't. You could probably get a very respectable piece of equipment for half your budget, meaning several hundred for other toys.

tom lucas
03-08-2018, 6:33 PM
I have the Griz 1023RWL. Love it. Completely problem free. I think I've had it for about 8 years now. I'm sure there are other models that might be good too (jet, general, shopfox, laguna). As for a used saw.... if you can find one in the time you are willing to wait. I live in a large market (Baltimore-Washington 5M+), good saws are not that common (I look every day). Just a handful each year in the class of the 1023 or better. And they are gone in a heartbeat. I couldn't wait any longer and went with the 1023RWL. Of course, if you can afford a $3000 SS, it's a safer choice, but doubtful it's better at cutting a board. If you expect to cut a lot of thick, hard woods, you might want to consider the 5 HP 1023. Though, the 3HP is plenty of power for what I do. On the 1023, Fence is square. Trunions work smoothly. zero vibration. Dust collection is the only area it does not excel, but it's good enough for me.

tom lucas
03-08-2018, 6:47 PM
Oh, and if you have the room I strongly suggest the 49+" ripping options.

Bill Space
03-08-2018, 10:32 PM

Simon

I am going to call BS on this statement. Without any proof.

So Simon, I ask that you provide references to show you are stating a fact, and not just blowing smoke.

You could be correct, but my gut says not.

No dog in the race, but misinformation turns me off. Help me feel better and prove your statement with some factual backup.

Like I said, I can’t prove you wrong; can you prove yourself right?

Bill

Simon MacGowen
03-08-2018, 10:44 PM

Bill

Go to sawstop.com and check it out yourself.

By the way, if you think SawStop is misleading, misinforming or whatnot, direct your query to them.

Simon

johnny means
03-08-2018, 11:25 PM
I am going to call BS on this statement. Without any proof.

So Simon, I ask that you provide references to show you are stating a fact, and not just blowing smoke.

You could be correct, but my gut says not.

No dog in the race, but misinformation turns me off. Help me feel better and prove your statement with some factual backup.

Bill

This is really old news.

tom lucas
03-09-2018, 12:13 AM
This is really old news.

I'm genuinely curious. How is it old news? Is there data to support SS claims? I can't find it. SS says they are the #1 cabinet saw in North America, but I can't find any data to support that, nor more qualifying information from SS on what they mean by "#1". Are they #1 based on units sold?, total sales dollars?, initial build quality?, for a U.S. company? or what? In what year(s)? I, too am skeptical, when there are many saws far less costly that have adequate quality. Price is always king. How is it they are 50% more in cost than many brands, yet out sell them? Is this driven by school purchases? I know several saw owners. Most have opted for big box store brands on the low end (maybe those are hybrids but still detract from sale opportunities), or Grizzly/shopfox on the higher end. A couple of new PMs. One laguna. And a few of the big, multitool European machines. Only one purchased a SS.

Jon Fletcher
03-09-2018, 12:14 AM
I got a used craftsman 22124 hybrid saw a few months ago. Cleaned up the surface rust and all the saw dust dialed it in and it runs great. Has the Bismyer fence, router table extention and router. Paid $540 for it and around here that's not to bad. Be patient and continue to research. If you like the SS safety feature maybe you'll get lucky and find one used. Just use commonsense, have an understanding of how the saw works and keep your fingers away from the blade.

Dominik Dudkiewicz
03-09-2018, 5:33 AM
I'd buy that car...

Haha. I'd buy that car too. Both our cars have no ABS, esc, airbags, blind spot monitoring, rear cameras etc. I wouldn't mind some airbags and ABS but wouldn't want to pay any more (unless it was tens of dollars not thousands) for all the other newer safety featutes. Point is everyone puts a different value on safety and particularly different types of safety risks and mitigations. Some value sawstop safety features, some don't. I don't, but am happy if others do. Provided we all have freedom to choose for ourselves.
Cheers, Dom