PDA

View Full Version : Rising brightly

Allan Ferguson
03-06-2018, 1:43 PM
6 1/4" x 5 3/8" tall WTF poly finish. Segmented vessel. Hard maple, walnut, paduk and white oak. Like it, hate it. let me know.

Len Mullin
03-06-2018, 3:02 PM
Very nice Allan, all of the segments joints are so nice and tight.
Len

daryl moses
03-06-2018, 3:08 PM
What's not to like about it?:) I think it is a keeper and like everything about it.

John Keeton
03-06-2018, 3:29 PM
Alan, these are the things I like - great design in the accent band, excellent joinery, very attractive selection of species, nice contrast with the mouth/rim and a very nice curvature in the upper potion.

The shorter list - the first image appears the vase has too wide a base causing the piece to appear to me to be somewhat squat. However, from the last image it appears there is a tight roll or "tuck" at the bottom, which brings the base in to a smaller diameter. I have never warmed up to the "tuck" concept as I think in every instance I have seen it used it truncates the curvature, resulting in a curve that is strained. I would have preferred the lower curve to have consistently curved a bit tighter such that the base does not appear to be approx. the same diameter as the mouth.

Just my opinion - but, you asked!:)

Allan Ferguson
03-06-2018, 5:45 PM
Thanks to those who have responded . The bottom does look larger than it should. Tried to continue the curvature into the base. It is 2 1/2" and the top is 3 1/2" od. Just a bit of round into recessed bottom.