PDA

View Full Version : Leatherette Shortage

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
03-06-2018, 12:02 PM
JDS seems to be out of stock on leatherette sheet stock. I'm wondering if anyone knows of another supplier of this product. I did a quick search but didn't find anything. I've got a good supply, just not the colors I need.

Thanks,

Bob

Mike Null
03-06-2018, 2:17 PM
You might try faux suede from a fabric store. Or they may have leatherette.

Jacob Meged
03-06-2018, 3:19 PM
Johnson Plastics has sheets available. I have attached an image showing the colors they have.

www.johnsonplastics.com
(800) 869-7800

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
03-06-2018, 7:31 PM
Thanks, I will get some from Johnson.

Bob

John Lifer
03-06-2018, 8:05 PM
And they are adding more..!!(Johnson that is)

Nick Hale
03-07-2018, 2:47 AM
I bought sheet stock but havent found a use other than to test on. You have any uses you found for it you can talk about?

Bill George
03-07-2018, 7:52 AM
I was going to suggest Naugahyde as something that might work. The Nauga were hunted almost to extinction at one time in the 50s and 60s but they have made a big comeback. The vinyl roof craze almost wiped them out. :D

Matt McCoy
03-07-2018, 9:35 AM
I believe Naugahyde is a vinyl product.

Paul Phillips
03-07-2018, 10:37 AM
I was going to suggest Naugahyde as something that might work. The Nauga were hunted almost to extinction at one time in the 50s and 60s but they have made a big comeback. The vinyl roof craze almost wiped them out. :D
Oh the humanity! All those poor Nauga's!

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
03-07-2018, 11:05 AM
I bought sheet stock but havent found a use other than to test on. You have any uses you found for it you can talk about?

We were making leather patches to be sewed on hats, but they decided they liked the leatherette better. We've been making thousands of patches for this hat company. Then yesterday we completed a nice order of logo patches to be sewed on gun suppressor covers. Sometimes when we make engraved wood awards we inlay leatherette for the nametag, looks kinda nice actually, easy to work with.

Jerry Stringer
07-25-2018, 11:50 PM

That brought back memories!! I've been telling folks that for years just to see if I could make them believe it. Nowadays no one under 40 even knows what it is!! :)

Kev Williams
07-26-2018, 1:31 PM
Like Betty White, Kirk Douglas and Jerry Lee Lewis, Naugahyde ain't dead yet :D >> https://www.naugahyde.com/catalog/ <<

Matt McCoy
07-27-2018, 9:16 AM
That brought back memories!! I've been telling folks that for years just to see if I could make them believe it. Nowadays no one under 40 even knows what it is!! :)

Naugahyde really classes up the front door. Bonus: Smells like tires, when you walk in the house.

Carlos Alvarez
07-27-2018, 1:03 PM
Have you considered using fine Corinthian leather instead?

Matt McCoy
07-27-2018, 2:49 PM
Have you considered using fine Corinthian leather instead?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_HMIN0nGl0

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
07-27-2018, 11:05 PM
Actually we do a lot with leather but in this case fake leather is better. JDS was finally restocked a couple months ago and I bought a years supply. We also tried a laserable product from a different company and didn’t like it at all.

Bob

Barb Becker
07-28-2018, 9:40 PM
Actually we do a lot with leather but in this case fake leather is better. JDS was finally restocked a couple months ago and I bought a years supply. We also tried a laserable product from a different company and didn’t like it at all.

Bob

I'm curious if it was the Saddle Collection from Johnson Plastics that you tried and didn't like? and if so, what didn't you like about their product compared to the JDS leatherette??? (I've used some of the Saddle Collection leatherette but haven't compared it to the JDS leatherette because I'm just a hobbyist and they won't sell to me. Wondering what I'm missing by not using the JDS material, lol.).

Thanks!

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
07-29-2018, 6:29 AM
I believe it was Barb, that stuff is paper thin and wants to curl up. For our use, patches sewed on hats, it didn’t work.

Tim Bridge
07-29-2018, 8:42 AM
Naugahyde was invented by Uniroyal in Naugatuck CT.

Barb Becker
07-29-2018, 5:46 PM
I believe it was Barb, that stuff is paper thin and wants to curl up. For our use, patches sewed on hats, it didn’t work.

Yeah, it isn't that thick, can see why it would be tough to sew. Thanks!

Bill George
07-29-2018, 6:11 PM
Naugahyde was invented by Uniroyal in Naugatuck CT. Strange but true. And more https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nauga-belgian-velcro-and-other-synthetic-creatures-180964811/

Carlos Alvarez
07-29-2018, 8:08 PM

Aren't they endangered now?

Tim Bridge
07-29-2018, 8:52 PM
Naugahyde was invented by Uniroyal in Naugatuck CT.

Strange but true. And more https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/nauga-belgian-velcro-and-other-synthetic-creatures-180964811/

Naugatuck was the home of Peter Paul Almond Joy and Mounds.
Now both are gone.
Its my home town too.

Julian Ashcroft
07-31-2018, 2:19 AM
Is this Saddle artificial leather exclusive to Johnson Plastics? Being in the UK I’m struggling to find something similar, I need something pretty thick around 1.8 - 2.2mm.

I laser a lot of leather but not all all my customers want something made from from an animal, so an alternative would be good.

John Lifer
07-31-2018, 9:40 AM
JDS Industries is the other (and original) supplier. jdsindustries.com Don't know if they ship overseas. You must be a business for sure.

Bruce Clumpner
08-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Hey Bob,

Just curious...Do you laser cut your patches or just manually cut?

John Lifer
08-06-2018, 4:04 PM
The JDS material is easy to cut with CO2 laser. And engraves with low power also.

Bob Davis - Sturgis SD
08-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Hey Bob,

Just curious...Do you laser cut your patches or just manually cut?

Bruce, the JDS leatherette product cuts very nicely with the laser. Sometimes it curls up a little from the heat (just like real leather) so we’ve been using a small amount of repositionable adhesive to hold it down. We like this leatherette stuff and are always looking for new uses.

Bob