PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Maple lidded vase

Travis Stinson
11-12-2005, 7:22 PM
I just got this one buffed this evening. First time I've tried the wipe on gel poly.....I like it:) . Size is 11 1/2" tall. I'm still undecided about the Dogwood finial on the lid (it was "supposed" to be an inch taller:( .....), I'm thinking of doing another one out of Ebony to see if it fits better with the Maple.

Bill Stevener
11-12-2005, 8:13 PM
Hi Travis,

Very, very nice. I like the final on the lid. Ebony goes well with about everything. However, I don't think you will see it in the photo.;)
Great job,
Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jerry Clark
11-12-2005, 9:04 PM
Nice form and color-- really like it-- I agree -- the finial takes away from the beautiful work and does not seem right!:D My 2 cents!

Andy Hoyt
11-12-2005, 9:05 PM
Hey that's nice Travis.

Ebony would look great, but the collar being already so dark might tend to make it look - I dunno - oddish? Unless you spiffied it up with some coves, beads or chamfers down towards the collar.

Remember - it's already a good looking piece.

Carole Valentine
11-12-2005, 9:19 PM
Nice work and an unusual form with the sloping shoulders. I think you are right about the dogwood. If you want to keep the finial light colored you could try a holly/ebony combo. The wipe-on poly would may give the holly just enough of an amber tint to match the predominant color in the maple.

John Hart
11-12-2005, 9:19 PM
An inch taller would be very elegant Travis. It's a beautiful piece. I like the angular approach and the lid follows the slope of the shoulder nicely. Overall, stunning work!

Travis Stinson
11-12-2005, 9:34 PM
Andy, the bottom of the lid is Ebony, so a finial of it shouldn't look out of place. The Dogwood was just a whim, and the more I look at it, the more I see it clashing with the Maple. It can always be used on something else.;)
John, it was actually 1 1/2". Can you say OOPS!?

Bill Stevener
11-12-2005, 10:43 PM
Travis, I think you did one of my numbers:eek:
Bill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Jim Becker
11-12-2005, 11:00 PM
Travis, I really like this form...it's just a little different in the way it transitions from the main body towards the finial. Unique! Nice!

Jim Ketron
11-12-2005, 11:02 PM
Nice Job Travis! The form and finish looks great!
Nice job on getting everything to flow together nicely!

Gary DeWitt
11-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Like the form very much! How about a spalted maple finial?
Also think the photography is great. What material did you use for the background, or is that photoshoped in? It's a perfect featureless black.

Travis Stinson
11-12-2005, 11:47 PM
Gary, that would look cool, but I think it would be too soft to get any crisp details in (for me anyway). The background came with the $40 photo cube I just bought off eBay.;) I appreciate everyone's comments.

Dennis Peacock
11-13-2005, 12:00 AM
That ones a real keeper Travis..!!!!! It's perfect in my book.:D

Michael Stafford
11-13-2005, 7:00 AM
It is a fine looking piece, Travis. I like the ebony collar and I like the dogwood finial but somehow the color of the dogwood is a shade off. If you could make it match the dominant color in the form....Or perhaps you could ebonize or dye it. Overall the piece is still a keeper.:D

Chris Barton
11-13-2005, 7:22 AM
What a great piece Travis! I like the top the way it is.