PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw, I GOT IT, I GOT IT 😁😁😁😁

Brian Byers
03-04-2018, 7:16 PM
Well guys im pretty sure I got a great deal on a bandsaw. I've been asking a lot of questions about bandsaws lately. Im so thankful for your replies to all my questions. My search for a larger bandsaw has come to a end. I'd found a minmax s45 for $1000 and the advice you gave me was to let it go at that price so I did🙂. I came across a older Delta 20" that had seen some outside neglect for $700. You advised I let it go so I did🙂. I put an ad in Craigslist asking if there was any body wanting to sell their larger bandsaw. Well someone in Chico CA messaged me this morning. He said he had a 15 year old Laguna LT 16 bandsaw that was made in Italy he wanted to sell. He sent me a pic of a new Laguna 16 bandsaw with a new price of $3750. I sent him a message back saying that he had a great saw but I couldn't afford it. Then I decided to give him a call. I only had $1000. I called him, he said he wanted$1200. I told him that I only had $1000 and that I'd try and get more money and call him back. He said he'd take $1000. Saw has only been used for about 10 hours. It's a Laguna LT 16 Star. 3 hp motor. Im currently sitting in my mini van with a bandsaw that's worth 3 times what my vans worth. okay guys did I get a good deal. I feel good.😃

Frederick Skelly
03-04-2018, 7:21 PM
Good for you!
Fred

Bill McNiel
03-04-2018, 7:27 PM
Yippee!!!! Celebrate.

Earl McLain
03-04-2018, 8:51 PM
You did well sir. That is a nice saw.
earl

andy bessette
03-04-2018, 9:06 PM
That was a great find.

Jim Becker
03-04-2018, 9:07 PM
Oooh....nice score! Congratulations! Being persistent pays off sometimes!

David Eisenhauer
03-04-2018, 9:12 PM
Good stuff Bryan. Have fun.

Don Morris
03-04-2018, 9:15 PM
I'm looking at my pitiful old Delta 14" and feeling so low. Enjoy!

Ron Citerone
03-04-2018, 9:16 PM
Nice! Good luck with it.

Brian Byers
03-05-2018, 12:22 AM
Thanks everybody, I've only heard it run for a minute. This saw is SO quite. SO smooth. I love the mobility system. I can drag it around the shop with ease. I've never seen guides like this. Should input Carter guides on it. It came with several blades. They didn't look like they were anything special. I have a Kreg fence. Should I install it on this saw. The saw has a fence but it looks pretty basic. I'm so excited🏆saw❤

Tom Trees
03-05-2018, 1:11 AM
Sound's like a bargain.... didn't happen if there's no evidence though ;)
Congratulations
Tom

Brian Byers
03-05-2018, 1:49 AM
Hi Tom, I can't figure out how to post pictures. I've only got a few of the saw while it was laying down before the ride home. Fir some reason I can't see anybody else's pics from my phone either. I've got all the original paperwork but not the receipt. I've got a little pamphlet for the motor in the original plastic wrapper it days TM. Motori . It's real I promise.😀

eugene thomas
03-05-2018, 7:33 AM
Think if runs good would get good blade and run a while before start throwing money at. But got great deal.

glenn bradley
03-05-2018, 8:02 AM
I see no saw. Creekers Rule: No pics, Didn't happen :).

Of course believe it happened. Even in our text-bound forum world your thread cannot hide your enthusiasm and excitement. Congrats!

Earl McLain
03-05-2018, 7:21 PM
I'm with Eugene--work stock for a bit. The ceramic guides are a little different, but it didn't take long for me to like them. I think your stock fence face is a "high-low" which is great for cutting thin stock narrow (near the fence)--the guides can come all the way down to the cut that way, instead of leaving them higher because the fence is in the way.
earl

Jack Frederick
03-05-2018, 7:33 PM
I had an LT-16 when I lived back east. When we moved west there were a bunch of tools that did not make the trip. The 16 should have. I picked up a BX-14 and it is really nice, but the 16 was terrific. Way to go!

Phil Mueller
03-05-2018, 8:22 PM
Hi Brian, not sure if this is the issue, but I couldn’t figure out how to post pics from the phone app version of SMC. If you scroll around, you should find a “go to full site version” or something like that. Then you get the icons that make it easy to post a pic.

Also, make sure you are logged in...some things don’t seem to appear for “guests”.

Maybe a moderator will chime in with better info....

Geoff Crimmins
03-05-2018, 8:33 PM
Depending on the age of the saw, it should have either European guides or Laguna ceramic guides. The European guides should be at least as nice as the Carter guides, and I would prefer the Laguna's over the others. Guide blocks are nice because they help scrape gunk off of the blade. Ball bearing guides like the Carter's just press the gunk onto the blade. So I would be inclined to try the saw with the existing guides and see how it works.

lee cox
03-05-2018, 10:45 PM
I just don't know why people here told you to buy the LT-16 over the S45 18 inch. Seems like the bigger wheels would be better?

I am bias as I own a S45.

I thought about a Delta 20 inch but I did not have the room.

Brian Byers
03-06-2018, 12:39 AM
They guides aren't the ceramic kind. They are some other kind of European guides. Appear to be a bearings the just run a different way then the Carter's. They look good to me 🙂

Brian Byers
03-06-2018, 12:40 AM
Thanks Phil 🙂

Brian Byers
03-06-2018, 12:43 AM
The fence is a rectangle hollow square tube approximately 3" height and 1.25" deep

Brian Byers
03-06-2018, 1:13 AM
Hi Lee, I don't have enough experience with bandsaws to make a decision on my own. The owner of the s45 wanted $1000. Some people were concerned that the saw could have been used to much. The owner used the saw A LOT. He'd already burnt up the first 1.5 motor and he'd used the 3.6 motor on it pretty hard over the course of the last few years. The tires were okay but not great. The fence was so so. It only had a 10" resaw. I was told parts were probably available but would be a little hard to find. Some s45 owners were concerned about the owner putting the much larger motor on the saw. They had put a 2.4hp motor on their saw and said that it was big custom job. One s45 owner had to do custom machining on their saw after they had put some miles on their saw. The s45 saw appeared okay but I didn't have the experience to check out all off the potential problems. I was told that the s45 was about a $2200 saw. I was told to offer $600-$800. Owner wouldn't come down so I held off. When I came across this Laguna i didn't check with the sawmill Creek members. I knew it only had 10 hours on it. Owner had all the original paperwork minus the receipt. The table was much bigger, the wheels were cast iron, the tires were perfect. The guides appeared to be perfect. The saw had a mobility kit which I needed for my shop. The Laguna saw has a brake😍😍😍. I may be working with kids in my shop. The saw came with several blades. The new Italian 16" was $3700. I felt parts would be easier to get. The saw looks like it's barely been used the s45 had been used heavy over the last 20 years. People didn't recommend the Laguna over the s45. I'd asked about the s45 then got excited about the Laguna. I jumped on the Laguna then posted in the forums to verify that I did okay by making a decision with out the advice of the Creek. So far everyone seems to feel I did okay 🙂

lee cox
03-06-2018, 1:57 AM
The S45 table is bigger than the Lt16. Sounds like the LT 16 may be a better buy but I am a believer in bigger wheels are better.

Keith Hankins
03-06-2018, 7:43 PM
YA done good son, thats a heck of a steal.