PDA

View Full Version : 14" jet band saw ripping question

Marc Donnelly
03-04-2018, 5:35 PM
I all,
I just set up my first new band saw. 14" Jet 1-1/4 hp. I Never really used a band saw alot because I just had a old one that didn't work very well. Now I have a New one, I want to fully understand how to use this saw to it's full potential.
I like to make cutting boards.
I have watched a lot of YouTube videos where people are ripping lumber on the band saw not the table saw?
Question: why are people ripping lumber on the band saw not the table saw? The only thing I can think of is a thiner the blade kerf.

Thanks for any advice!

Charlie Hinton
03-04-2018, 6:21 PM
The YouTube videos I have seen are demonstrating resawing vs ripping.
i would think ripping boards that are very long on the bandsaw would be rather difficult.

Rod Sheridan
03-04-2018, 6:35 PM

Hi, band saws can rip much deeper section timbers than most circular saws.

In addition band saws can rip rough lumber, something that can't be done on a typical circular saw safely.

After the ripping you'll need to joint and plane the material to make it usable.

Here are a few photographs of some douglas fir timbers being ripped into usable pieces.

Note the outfeed extension on the saw, I also have an infeed extension which I didn't use this time because the timbers weren't that heavy.......Rod.

John TenEyck
03-04-2018, 8:15 PM
Bandsaws excel at rough ripping, and that's the only machine I use for ripping rough lumber. Tablesaws excel at ripping flat lumber to glue up dimensions.

John

Marc Donnelly
03-04-2018, 8:47 PM
That's some great information guys and some good pics. I am understating more, thanks.

Geoff Crimmins
03-04-2018, 9:08 PM
A bandsaw can also follow a pencil line to rip a straight edge on a rough-edge board. There's also no risk of kickback with a bandsaw.