PDA

View Full Version : size of v belt on DJ 20 jointer

joe zarnitz
11-12-2005, 3:28 PM
looking to put on a link belt but don't know the proper width to order----they come in 3 sizez 1/4 ,3/8 and 1/2''----tks,joe

CPeter James
11-12-2005, 3:40 PM
It did not work on mine as there was not enough clearance in the hole coming up from the base and the cover for that hole. You may have to do some body work in that area. Not only did it hit on startup, but the links made a siren type nose that was deafening as they went by the edge of the hole. Let us know how you make out.

CPeter

lou sansone
11-12-2005, 4:40 PM
hi joe
sounds like you are trying to minimize a vibration problem or you want an easier way to change the belt. Many folks here do like the link belts and find a noticable improvement over the stock v belts that seem to take a set. Having worked on machines of a variety of types and designed and built many as well ( almost 30 years now ), I personally do not like them, except for instances where they allow the belt to be changed without complete disassembly of some major machine.
What I have found to be a superior product is a cx type belt ( sometimes known as a cog or gripnotch type belt ). Places like grainger or mcmaster carr carry them in a variety of sizes. Many woodworking machines use about the smallest pully you should use and this is one of the main causes for belt vibration. It takes a lot to compress the belt around such a small diameter. Where both the link belt ( which for years was only considered a band-aid for a power transmission problem, but in recent years has become marketed to the mass population as great for all types of issues ) and the cog belt excell is in small diameter pullies. The cog belt will have small notches taken out of it to allow greater flexability and they do run smoother IMHO and also do not seem to take a set over time as a regular v belt will.

best wishes
lou

Tyler Howell
11-12-2005, 6:28 PM
1/2 works great with my new old style DJ20