PDA

View Full Version : Belt Sander

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2005, 2:09 PM
I have been looking at belt sanders to replace my boat anchor craftsman. I have looked at all brands. Is there any advantage or disadvantage of say a 3" X 18" or 3" X 21" or a 3" X 24"? Do any of these sizes make a difference? Most of my sanding is small and the craftsman just weighs a ton. Thanks.

Jim Becker
11-12-2005, 2:13 PM
In the VERY rare case I want to use a belt sander, the 3" x 21" that I have works just fine. (Mine is a Bosch) It's also much lighter than the larger 4" x 24" units.

Don Baer
11-12-2005, 2:13 PM
Bernie,
I have a 3x18 and love it since it fairly light. My Neighbor who is a cabinate maker by trade has a larger one but he will borrow my smaller one occsionaly, says he likes the smaller/lighter size also.

tod evans
11-12-2005, 2:53 PM
bernie, as with most tools the continuing costs of the disposables usually end up costing umpteen times more than the tool itself. if you`re able to look at your choices in person and determine what brand and model fits you that`s the wisest move. then make sure you have a reliable source for the disposables, in this case belts. quite often the odd sizes cost 50% more than the more common ones. if the brand you decide on has a service center close that should be a couple points in their favor. tod

jack duren
11-12-2005, 7:52 PM
if your gonna buy one just get a 3x24 or a 4x24. bosch or porter cable. its almost a waste to buy anything smaller unless you only do small stuff......jack

Vaughn McMillan
11-12-2005, 8:54 PM
Bernie, I didn't realize until last weekend how much more expensive belts are as they increase in size.

I have a 3 x 21 sander, and awhile back I stocked up on belts...but accidentally bought 3 x 24 belts. When I took them back last weekend, I was expecting a nearly even exchange price-wise, but instead the smaller belts were about half the cost, so I got a bigger refund than I'd expected.

So as Tod suggests, look into the cost of the disposables as well as the machine that spins them.

- Vaughn

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2005, 9:51 PM
Thanks for the replies. Have some food for thought now. One thing I did notice as I went thru my wood catalogs that only one sells the 3 X 18 sanding belt. The rest of the catalogs go 3 X 21, 3 X 24 and 4 X 24. I really was looking for smaller unit because the 4 X 24 I have now weighs a ton and when doing a fair amount of sanding my arms get pretty tired. Vaugh I did notice that the 3 X 21 belts are quite a bit cheaper than the 3 X 24 or 4 X 24. Anyway will keep looking and reading. I generally use the belt sander to take off the big stuff and then go with the ROS from 100 to 320 grit to finish. Thanks again.

jack duren
11-12-2005, 10:59 PM
good belts run about $1.60 ea. ill use 2-3 on an entire set of kitchen cabinets.

Quinn McCarthy
11-15-2005, 10:32 AM
Bernie

Bosch and Ported Cable make great belt sanders. I would get a 3x24 or 4x24. I have a Bosch 4x24 with variable speed. I think it is a 1276vs. It goes throught a lot of material quick. It has good balance and the variable speed allows you to slow down on plywoods and veneers. I have used several Porter Cable sanders. I don't remember the model numbers but one looked like a big freight train. I don't have a large sander so I rely on the belt sander for everything. 4x24 gives you a nice finish.

Ellen Benkin
11-15-2005, 1:56 PM
The 3x21 is a pretty standard size and is large enough to do serious damage! I like my Ryobi (bought before they moved to HD) because I can clamp it on its flat back and use it as a stationary sander. Just a feature to consider. It's also variable speed, which comes in handy sometimes.

Steve Cox
11-15-2005, 2:56 PM
I have a Bosch 3x21 and find it to be excellent. Like Ellen's Ryobi it has a flat top which is nice whne you need to use it upside down. The Bosch also has a good dust collection system on it plus variable speed. It is much lighter than the comparable Porter-Cables which is real nice when using vertically or overhead.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2005, 4:50 PM
Steve and Ellen I have been looking at those for just that very reason. I read a article where you could sharpen tools using them on their back. Thanks again one and all.