PDA

View Full Version : Microjig dovetail clamps - gimmick or not?

Johnny Barr
03-02-2018, 6:55 PM
I'm a sucker for a gadget, in fact my wife has banned me :o from watching those infomercial shows on TV. When I saw this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehDq0aPjKuo ) my credit card immediately came out of my wallet until I watched the video again. I then realized that all the demonstrations he showed I have covered in my workshop. For example, I have a tall table saw fence using universal fence clamps ( http://www.rockler.com/universal-fence-clamps ) at more than half the price, a taper jig that uses T slots, a drill press table that uses T slots and bolts, stop blocks that use ordinary one handed clamps etc etc etc. I also realized that I needed to buy the matching dovetail bit and good ones can be quite expensive and have a limited life. Also those universal fence clamps (which you can make yourself) can do many of the things that the dovetail clamps can do and only require a 3/8" drill bit and I have at least 5 of those. Some of the jigs he showed had the clamps already attached so you need to buy more of them to use in other situations. So I can't see a usage that I've already got covered with my existing tools and clamps.

Are these useful? Good value? Have I missed the point?

Steve Eure
03-02-2018, 8:23 PM
Unfortunately, the microjig uses dovetails instead of round holes. I think this was a ploy to make sure their dovetail clamps sold. I did not realize that the microjig had dovetail holes in them when I ordered mine. Instead of falling for their sales gimmick, I made my own with a sawn off bolt and heated it with a torch and hammered out my own. Works fine. I too think they are a bit pricey.

Charles Wiggins
03-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Judge for yourself.

https://youtu.be/F_ZPTbLKSvg

Johnny Barr
03-03-2018, 12:19 AM
I already posted a later video on these and it was this video that initially got me interested but I then became skeptical and cynical as they don't seem to offer any major advantage over existing methods and tools.

I'd love to hear from owners and non owners who think they are useful and good value

Charles Wiggins
03-03-2018, 7:46 AM
I own a set, but have not used them yet. I don't get into the shop much and when I do I spend most of the time cleaning so I can get the one little thing I need done. I don't have the Rockler clamps or anything like them and I already have dovetail bits, so it was a no-brained for me. I bought a set from Ralph on the spot at the demo.

If you already have three ways to skin that cat then you don't need a fourth, but for someone who doesn't have any, I think the versatility could be useful.

That said, I just checked online pricing, and there's no way I would have paid $40-$45 for a pair of those, so they must have had a show discount going. A DEEP discount.

George Bokros
03-03-2018, 7:55 AM
I purchased a pair at the Hartville Hardware tool sale. I was going to cut the dovetail groves into my work table top. When I got to laying out the positions for the grooves I thought there are less expensive ways to do this. I then returned them and purchased a pair of back to back clamps on eBay to do what I was going to use the dovetail clamps. Far more useful to me and infinity more adjustable.

Mike Cutler
03-03-2018, 8:02 AM
I don't think they're a gimmick. Fairly certain that they will do as advertised. Question is if you need something like these.

A T-slot bit in a router, some inexpensive F-clamps from the borg, and you can accomplish the same thin.g Might need to ground down the heads a bit on the F clamps, but the end result would still be the same.

It does seem like a fair bit of cash for two clamps.

tom lucas
03-03-2018, 8:49 AM
I own a pair. They work nicely. You do need to make a dovetail slot, but you can do that with a cheap dovetail bit. I mostly use one on my table saw fence with a stop block for repetitive long cross cuts where my miter gauge stop is too short. The clamps also work directly in 1/2" t-slots. I use one at my drill press because it has those slots cut into the steel top. I haven't made any sort of clamping table yet. So, no great need. Expensive yes. But nice tools always are.

glenn bradley
03-03-2018, 8:58 AM
I have used the Rockler Universal Clamps for some years with reasonable success. The thing that the MicroJig clamps do not do is twist under torque or when tightening. The Rocklers usually only do this when a significant amount of torque is applied. I use both as I have both but, there are situations where the one or the other work better for me.

In places where something like a spring clamp or a QuickGrip clamp would be sufficient, the Rocklers are great; sac-fences, cross-cut stop-blocks, etc.

For clamping something that is going to come under lateral force, the MicroJig versions are more secure (or maybe I just feel more secure using them.

Either way they are a good product but, a bit pricey. I got mine on a special when they were first coming out; I'd watch for a sale.

Art Mann
03-03-2018, 9:36 AM
I went on eBay and searched for "back to back clamps" and came up with nothing that looked anything like a wood clamp.

I purchased a pair at the Hartville Hardware tool sale. I was going to cut the dovetail groves into my work table top. When I got to laying out the positions for the grooves I thought there are less expensive ways to do this. I then returned them and purchased a pair of back to back clamps on eBay to do what I was going to use the dovetail clamps. Far more useful to me and infinity more adjustable.

Art Mann
03-03-2018, 9:54 AM
These clamps look very useful in some situations where other types of clamps won't work. I am happy the OP brought them to my attention. The price is such that I will wait for a sale if possible. As far as cost goes, these clamps and a dovetail bit are much cheaper than a 3/4" bit and piles of T track. That is what I use for hold downs on my CNC router spoil board. I tried using a T slot bit but the thin shoulders of the "T" aren't strong enough to keep the bolt from breaking out under stress.

George Bokros
03-03-2018, 11:22 AM
I went on eBay and searched for "back to back clamps" and came up with nothing that looked anything like a wood clamp.

Try this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/36-Tru-Grip-Back-to-Back-Bench-Clamp-Woodworking-Clamp/202239769233?hash=item2f166dfa91:g:RqIAAOSw38BaiJS c

Derek Cohen
03-03-2018, 12:02 PM
I have a pair that are perfect for a mortice jig ...

https://s19.postimg.org/cnix7oahv/image.jpg

This is the rear of the jig, and the recess is for the fence of the router ...

https://s19.postimg.org/fhm2l4ztf/image.jpg

Here s the router on the jig, with the clamps holding a workpiece to be morticed ...

https://s19.postimg.org/m82jula4j/image.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Johnny Barr
03-03-2018, 4:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was curious to see what people thought of these as the videos make them look very impressive and while I can see they have some uses for some people, in my case they are poor value when I can achieve the same things with existing clamps, stop blocks, T slots and hold downs.

Derek, I am also a fellow Aussie. Where did you buy the clamps?

Chris Parks
03-03-2018, 7:46 PM
They look the same as the Festool clamps I bought (second hand) as the owner did not use them.

Derek Cohen
03-03-2018, 8:12 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I was curious to see what people thought of these as the videos make them look very impressive and while I can see they have some uses for some people, in my case they are poor value when I can achieve the same things with existing clamps, stop blocks, T slots and hold downs.

Derek, I am also a fellow Aussie. Where did you buy the clamps?

Hi Johnny

Timbecon sell them ... about 60 or so bucks for a set of two.

The video makes it look like you need several sets, each dedicated to different uses. I only have one set. I may get another.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Johnny Barr
03-04-2018, 7:46 PM
Thanks Derrek, they are actually $69 at Timbecon and Carbatec and while they really look good I can't see a use for one pair let alone two which really makes them expensive. I watched the video for the 3rd time and paused it at the end of each demonstration or home made jig and realized each time I had a less expensive, adequate and efficient alternative. For example, he uses the clamps for a drill press table and yet I have a permanent one bolted down or using them for a stop block when ordinary clamps or fence clamps would do the job or mounting a grinder to the workbench when simple clamps would do, etc etc. Also if they were used on the drill press and you then wanted to use them on the table saw you would either have to buy a second pair or waste time transferring them. So I am now convinced they won't be appearing in my workshop.

Charles Lent
03-05-2018, 6:19 PM
Put a dovetail slot or two in the wood base of every semi portable tool that you frequently mount to your work bench or saw horse and use these clamps to hold down the tool. You can clide the clamp to any position that is needed along the dovetail.

If you break down sheet stock with a circular saw and use a wooden straight edge to guide the saw, put a long dovetail in the bottom from one end to the other. Now you can use a pair of these clamps in the dovetail slot to clamp the straight edge to any length sheet because you can slide the clamp in the dovetail slot until it is withing clamping range of the sheet being cut. Then clamp the straight edge wherever it's needed.

Put a dovetail slot in any jigs or fixtures that you use on your drill press and you can position the jig or fixture wherever you want and the clamps in the dovetail slots will hold it in place on the drill press table.

Put a couple of dovetail slots in the wood base under your Leigh FMT or dovetail jigs and use the clamps to hold these tools to your work bench, saw horse, or deck railing while you use the jigs.

Any place you need a clamp that can slide to different positions for better use, you can use dovetail slots and these clamps. I liked my first pair so much that I bought a second pair.

Put a dovetail slot or two in a fence block that you can clamp to your saw fence with these clamps to use it as a stop when cross cutting using your miter gauge.

Oh, they work to hold that Dado thingy to your table saw fence really well too.

Charley

Brian Henderson
03-05-2018, 6:33 PM
I just watched a video where the guy had some of the MicroJig clamps but wanted to use them in standard t-tracks so ground the clamps to fit. I'd much rather use a t-track because it's stronger and more durable than a plywood dovetail. Add in the fact that they're really expensive at $45 for 2 and... yeah, no thanks.

Simon MacGowen
03-05-2018, 6:36 PM
Put a dovetail slot or two in the wood base of every semi portable tool that you frequently mount to your work bench or saw horse and use these clamps to hold down the tool. You can clide the clamp to any position that is needed along the dovetail.

If you break down sheet stock with a circular saw and use a wooden straight edge to guide the saw, put a long dovetail in the bottom from one end to the other. Now you can use a pair of these clamps in the dovetail slot to clamp the straight edge to any length sheet because you can slide the clamp in the dovetail slot until it is withing clamping range of the sheet being cut. Then clamp the straight edge wherever it's needed.

Put a dovetail slot in any jigs or fixtures that you use on your drill press and you can position the jig or fixture wherever you want and the clamps in the dovetail slots will hold it in place on the drill press table.

Put a couple of dovetail slots in the wood base under your Leigh FMT or dovetail jigs and use the clamps to hold these tools to your work bench, saw horse, or deck railing while you use the jigs.

Any place you need a clamp that can slide to different positions for better use, you can use dovetail slots and these clamps. I liked my first pair so much that I bought a second pair.

Put a dovetail slot or two in a fence block that you can clamp to your saw fence with these clamps to use it as a stop when cross cutting using your miter gauge.

Oh, they work to hold that Dado thingy to your table saw fence really well too.

Charley
Some good examples here of how the clamps can be put to good use.

Anyone starting into woodworking or thinking of setting up a new shop should find these clamps versatile and useful. For old timers who have already found their ways of securing their jigs, machines, whatever, may find them of less use. For them, it would be extra work and expenses to get the clamps and create the dovetail slots etc. A couple pairs of those clamps for use with half a dozen or more tools or aids make good sense.

But no clamping devices in my shop can match the holdfasts (Gramercy) when work or tool holding on the bench is concerned.

Simon

glenn bradley
03-05-2018, 7:52 PM
You can slide the clamp to any position that is needed along the dovetail.

An example of where that works nicely.

380597 . 380598 . 380599

Grant Wilkinson
03-06-2018, 9:36 AM
They're an interesting concept, but at $70 Canadian a pair delivered, they are too rich for me. I'll stick to T-tracks.

Charles Lent
03-06-2018, 11:26 AM
Some good examples here of how the clamps can be put to good use.

Anyone starting into woodworking or thinking of setting up a new shop should find these clamps versatile and useful. For old timers who have already found their ways of securing their jigs, machines, whatever, may find them of less use. For them, it would be extra work and expenses to get the clamps and create the dovetail slots etc. A couple pairs of those clamps for use with half a dozen or more tools or aids make good sense.

But no clamping devices in my shop can match the holdfasts (Gramercy) when work or tool holding on the bench is concerned.

Simon

I am hardly a new woodworker, having been doing woodworking for over 65 years, so I consider myself to be one of the "old timers" that you think won't use these clamps. If aluminum T track suits you, then use it. I do for some uses, but I think that most holding needs do not require it, and if it does, you are going to need to epoxy that T track in place because screws alone will not provide the strength needed.

I am constantly seeking new and more efficient ways to do things in my woodworking shop and I consider these dovetail clamps to be one of the better improvements that I've come upon recently, although I didn't think they would be all that good either, until I tried them. Like I said previously, "I like them so much that I bought a second pair", and this is from a guy who still does not own a real track saw, since over 20 years ago I made kind of my own version of a track saw using a circular saw, a zero clearance shoe, and two lengths 52" and 108" of wide format straight edge clamps that I find works just as good for me as those high priced track saws.

Thanks for posting the pictures Glenn.

Charley

Bernie Kopfer
03-06-2018, 12:49 PM
I bought them so I could easily attach a tall fence to my router table fence. Unable to do so easily any other way because of slider bar etc. Same fence works on table saw.