PDA

View Full Version : Wolverine "Add-on" for using the CBN Mega Square wheel

John Keeton
03-02-2018, 9:03 AM
I recently posted pics of my new grinder setup that included the Rikon 1 hp grinder and the Mega Square wheel purchased from Ken Rizza. However, I had no convenient way to make use of the side grind feature of the Mega Square wheel with the existing Wolverine setup.

I knew what I needed and while I do have a welder, my skills are really, really minimal. So, I encouraged a good friend to make one for me. I have not yet needed to use it, but I think it will work well for the intended purpose. Thought I would share in the event someone might want to make up one for themselves. The patent process is in the initial stages!;)

Grant Wilkinson
03-02-2018, 9:51 AM
Interesting, John. What is it used for?

Richard Dooling
03-02-2018, 10:01 AM
That's pretty neat! I bought my (1) cbn from Ken but had not seen the mega square wheel. On sale right now too. Hmmmm

John K Jordan
03-02-2018, 1:10 PM
I recently posted pics of my new grinder setup that included the Rikon 1 hp grinder and the Mega Square wheel purchased from Ken Rizza. However, I had no convenient way to make use of the side grind feature ...

That's a nice idea. I ordered flat side grit and square edges on all of my CBN wheels from Rizza - far more useful to me this way. I use the sides for occasionally for flattening things and the flats with the corners for shaping special scrapers.

I have a few extra Wolverine bases - it might be easy to modify one of those and make use of the built-in clamp.

I'm also planning to cut a notch in one of the flat Wolverine platforms to slide it up and fit around the sides of the CBN wheels for better support when I'm grinding on the corners and sides.

And on the topic of Wolverine platforms, I can recommend the mini platform.
I use this a lot, especially with tools with shorter shafts. I like the curve in the front.
https://www.amazon.com/3945-Platform-Assembly-Wolverine-Sharpening/dp/B007W1NC78

JKJ

Peter Blair
03-04-2018, 10:41 AM
John, I 'notched' the original platform to do just that and I usually use a Robo Rest and can quickly change to which ever works best for the task at hand.

robert baccus
03-05-2018, 11:15 PM
I do love using that square wheel much yeah--good idea on the setup.

Daniel O'Connell
03-07-2018, 2:43 PM
Very interesting...I may have to steal this for the grinder setup I'm working on :)

Jim Silva
03-08-2018, 3:34 PM
You Sir, are my hero.

I've got a very specialized, single purpose tool that is a real pain to sharpen properly. This is exactly the solution to that problem and I believe if I do it correctly, I'll be able to operate from the left or the right of the same wheel.

I'll make sure to call it the JK-Jig or the KeetonTHANG or some such.

Off to the welder...
Jim

John Keeton
03-08-2018, 3:51 PM
Jim, glad I inspired you! Yes, it permits access from either side, but clearance is obviously better on the outside.