PDA

View Full Version : Centrifugal painted bowls

Harold Balzonia
03-02-2018, 12:55 AM
I was inspired by some pictures I saw on the forum some time back... (David Smith, I think). I had some very bland pieces of alder lying around and wanted to use them up. Below is the result. I obviously need to learn a lot more about paints, colors, and finishes but I think this is something I'll keep playing around with. C&C welcome...

George Troy Hurlburt
03-02-2018, 1:23 AM
Interesting, I have some small unfinished segmented vases I may do the same with. Thanks for showing your good work.

Dennis Ford
03-02-2018, 8:11 AM
Very nice, the black & blue is my favorite.

David Delo
03-02-2018, 8:18 AM
2nd vote for the blue & black piece. What finish did you use on these? Kind of looks like WOP

Mark Greenbaum
03-02-2018, 8:20 AM
#2 & #3 are really cool. Thanks for sharing.

Grant Wilkinson
03-02-2018, 9:50 AM
Somebody has to say it, I like the first one. :-):)

Richard Dooling
03-02-2018, 9:56 AM
+1 on the blue and black. Are you working on the lathe or flat like on a turntable?

John K Jordan
03-02-2018, 1:30 PM
I was inspired by some pictures I saw on the forum some time back... (David Smith, I think). I had some very bland pieces of alder lying around and wanted to use them up. Below is the result. I obviously need to learn a lot more about paints, colors, and finishes but I think this is something I'll keep playing around with. C&C welcome...

Beautiful! I especially like the colors and contrast in the last one. The dark nicely frames the natural wood of the bowl and the complimentary color of the two layer blue wash and rays perfectly excite the eye.

Reminds me that when I was a kid the county fairs had booths where you could dribble paint on spinning pieces of cardboard. I tried that at home and made a very nice mess. For more inspiration look up spin art https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spin_art I like the look of the slow spin too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6NjD7aEfao

JKJ

Harold Balzonia
03-02-2018, 6:03 PM
Thanks for the kind words.... I think I'll keep playing with the idea.

the finish is rattle can spray lacquer.

Im leaving it on the lathe to spin the paint. I made a surround out of a very large and old stainless steel camera film developing bath tub. It's like a huge pot, but thin metal. A cardboard box would work fine but I had one laying around.

Frederick Skelly
03-02-2018, 6:18 PM
Very nice, the black & blue is my favorite.

Mine too!
Fred