PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi AirStrike nailer dilemna

Dennis Roy
03-01-2018, 8:13 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to decide which Ryobi AirStrike nailer I will buy. Hoping for some input.

The first application I intend to use it for, as a DIY, is installing several pre-hung doors in my basement reno. Ryobi has a 16 gauge straight nailer (the P325) and a 15 gauge angled nailer. Both cordless, no compressor, uses their lithium battery as power source. Good reviews on both from what I can see.

I can't afford both. I'm wondering if I need the beefier 15 gauge nails to hang a door frame to my rough openings, or whether the smaller 16 gauge nails are sufficient. There seem to be MUCH better selection of 16 gauge finishing nails in stores than 15 gauge. I think that if I'm hanging doors the fatter 15 gauge nail will have more holding power, but that's not much good if I can't buy the nails anywhere. (I looked at Home depot and Lowes).

Are nailer manufacturers moving towards making nailers that are 15 gauge and moving away from 16 gauge? If so I would then be inclined to buy the 15 gauge. If the industry tendency is to go 15 gauge and this has only recently begun, this which would explain the lack of selection of the 15 gauge nails (at least for now) I suppose

Any other thoughts on which one I should buy?

Thanks

Jim Becker
03-02-2018, 10:24 AM
A 16 gage brad nailer and a 15 gage angle finish nailer are "different animals". I don't own the former, but do own the latter. (they are not "new", either) The 15 gage gun is heavier and drives "true nails" so its holding power is going to be a little better than the 16 gage gun. But the 16 gage is lighter and can get into tighter spaces. For your stated application, the 15 gage gun is the best choice with an 18 gage brad gun for the small trim needs, but the 16 gage will do the job if it works for more operations over this specific job . IMHO, of course... :)