PDA

View Full Version : People wear this stuff?

Myk Rian
03-01-2018, 3:45 PM
First, what kind of mind thinks this stuff up?
Second, who, in their right mind would wear it?
Just who thinks the designer is famous? For what?
https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Photos/On-the-runway-at-Paris-Fashion-Week/fp/11447/?spt=rel_sp&cnt=&or=scn

Malcolm Schweizer
03-01-2018, 3:59 PM
The kids in your profile picture think it's quite trendy.

Myk Rian
03-01-2018, 4:05 PM
Lol. Ya got me. :o

Jim Koepke
03-01-2018, 4:20 PM
https://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Photos/On-the-runway-at-Paris-Fashion-Week/fp/11447/?spt=rel_sp&cnt=&or=scn

Some of it looks like proof we are being colonized by extraterrestrials.

Of course having a long pillow tied around your neck means you can take a nap anywhere.

jtk

Carlos Alvarez
03-01-2018, 4:31 PM
It's the women's version of concept cars.

Jim Becker
03-01-2018, 5:17 PM
Nobody actually wears those extreme fashions that walk in the haute couture fashion shows. They are pretty much one-offs and more for "oh, wow" to get a name noticed. The stuff that the same designers most often sell to the general public that can afford their wares, while occasionally being eye opening, isn't quite so over-the-top. The same thing occurs in many other industries... ;)

John K Jordan
03-01-2018, 6:07 PM
Every year it gets more difficult to do something new to get noticed. Other fields have the same challenges: art, music, "multimedia", games, multimedia, furniture, turnings, interior design, ....

Stan Calow
03-01-2018, 7:56 PM
I must admit that sometimes I have the same reaction to some woodworking projects I see photos of in magazines.

Roger Nair
03-01-2018, 8:18 PM
I believe it is the role of the designer or artist regardless of the field to expand the vocabulary, we don't have to use the new designs but in some fashion it helps us grow or frees us up to try anew.

Frederick Skelly
03-01-2018, 8:42 PM
I must admit that sometimes I have the same reaction to some woodworking projects I see photos of in magazines.

That happens to me too, like all the time.

Those fashions are what a southerner I know would describe as "Butt Ugly".

Mark Blatter
03-01-2018, 9:11 PM
I tried to come up with a comment that would not seem overly negative, trite or just obnoxious. I posted one of my favorite quotes from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, then deleted it as it too seemed to derogatory.

I will just say that not every idea should be followed up on, not every design should be completed.

John K Jordan
03-01-2018, 9:33 PM
Maybe the designer lost a bet.

Rich Engelhardt
03-02-2018, 4:12 AM
I tried to come up with a comment that would not seem overly negative, trite or just obnoxious.
I wouldn't sweat it.....
Even Lucy and Ethel poked fun at the goofy fashion world 50 years ago. ;)

You'd be in good company.

IIRC, didn't the Three Stooges do a skit about goofy fashions too?

Joe Mioux
03-02-2018, 7:15 AM
Nobody actually wears those extreme fashions that walk in the haute couture fashion shows. They are pretty much one-offs and more for "oh, wow" to get a name noticed. The stuff that the same designers most often sell to the general public that can afford their wares, while occasionally being eye opening, isn't quite so over-the-top. The same thing occurs in many other industries... ;)

this is true. These design shows also serve as idea meetings for new designs. A designer, who is in the audience might pick up new idea from a scarf or a shoe, etc that was worn during the show.

Frank Pratt
03-02-2018, 10:17 AM
Wow! I think that's really cool. I can't imagine anyone would actually wear that out, but I don't think that's the point.

Mel Fulks
03-02-2018, 11:39 AM
Most modern eccentric duds are for publicity. But some nutty and uncomfortable things had long runs. Women wore extremely tight ,even damaging corsets. Mens coats in early 18th century pulled the shoulders way back. Sleeves had more bend in them and were close fitting. To them your custom fitted suit would be a Zoot suit. Take a look at a ZS

Julie Moriarty
03-02-2018, 12:01 PM

I think the scarves are from a trend Ralphie's brother started.
https://i1.wp.com/www.herloyalsons.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/a-christmas-story-winter-coat.jpg

Frederick Skelly
03-02-2018, 6:17 PM
Most modern eccentric duds are for publicity. But some nutty and uncomfortable things had long runs. Women wore extremely tight ,even damaging corsets. Mens coats in early 18th century pulled the shoulders way back. Sleeves had more bend in them and were close fitting. To them your custom fitted suit would be a Zoot suit. Take a look at a ZS

Love that! I want a zoot suit just like this one:

Bill Dufour
03-02-2018, 9:23 PM
Heck I would wear it and I am a guy. Of course I would have to be paid tens of thousands of dollars a day. ñ
Bill D

Kev Williams
03-02-2018, 9:35 PM
The thing that I really find -- what's the word, amusing? Sad? Ironic?

-- is the fact that Every Single One Of Those Models looks like they just found out their paychecks bounced...

Mel Fulks
03-02-2018, 10:22 PM
That zoot suit is a lot tighter than the originals!

Frederick Skelly
03-02-2018, 10:32 PM
That zoot suit is a lot tighter than the originals!

I've never seen an original. I'll go look for a period picture for sure.
But this little beauty is only $139 and I'm thinking it might be great for my cousin's upcoming wedding. Or at least Halloween. ;)

Bill Dufour
03-04-2018, 9:39 PM
I remember a line from a sit com of "they look like the eyes of a dead shark"
Bill D

Rod Sheridan
03-06-2018, 11:04 AM

If you're faint of fashion heart, I suggest you not poll SMC members on what they wear!:D

My youngest daughter (the fashionista police) calls my closet "The Museum of Plaid".

I expect that that a lot of us grey haired members have similar fashion faux pas hiding in their closets.............Rod.

Tom Stenzel
03-07-2018, 11:27 AM
My younger daughter just had her senior pictures taken. Of course she wanted to wear the style of the day- ripped jeans. I thought it was stupid but my wife disagreed. How else to make my daughter cringe when she looks at them in 30 years? After that I was all for it!

But I doubt if the world would be much better off if wood workers designed clothes. I have to apologize for the quality of the picture but it was a screen shot.

From "Slippery Silks", The Three Stooges 1936:

:eek:

-Tom