PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Chucks- Quality?

Bill Splaine
02-28-2018, 4:18 PM
380129I have two SuperNova chucks.. an original and the 2. I have recently purchased a set of Nova Cole plates and they definitely do NOT line up properly.. They are un-numbered and supposed to fit on any position. I contacted Teknatool and they promptly sent me out a new set. Same thing, and tested on both chuck bodies. I've responded to CS with pictures and they are moving the problem up the line. Their CS is great IMO.

Now, the reason for the post.

Is there any difference between manufacturers of chucks? I know Robust has a good name and the price for their chucks are not much more than the NOVA's What I would like to find out from people who have BOTH in their shops.. what is your conclusion.
Are the machining jobs and fit any better on the Robust? Are the "cole jaws" any better? The Nova cole jaws are not machined at all, which may be a problem. I know there is warpage in them as can be seen by putting a straight edge over them.

Any help appreciated. I hope the next comment is not a put off.. but...If you don't have both for comparison, your comments will likely not help me much

Thanks for any help

Bill
Spinzwood in Santa Rosa, CA

Dwight Rutherford
02-28-2018, 4:54 PM
I was not aware that Robust made scroll chucks.

Bill Splaine
02-28-2018, 5:15 PM
Nore was I, Dwight.. until my latest Woodcraft catalog came. Craft Supplies also sells them.

Dwight Rutherford
02-28-2018, 7:19 PM
Just went to both the Robust Tools, and Craft Supply online catalog and don’t see anything.

John Keeton
02-28-2018, 8:07 PM
Robust recommends Bull Dog chucks. I don’t think Brent is making a chuck.

JohnC Lucas
03-01-2018, 7:13 AM
Bull dog chucks are not the same quality as Vicmarc. Neither are the Grizzly copies. I have both along with 3 Vicmarcs. I have had to replace the pinion gears in both aftermarket chucks and the new gears did not fit properly and required filing to make them work. Bull dog told me they now have a new manufacturer and the quality should be better. For me, I'll stick with Vicmarc or ONeway. I never hear of a single problem with those chucks. I was teaching a class one time and they had Nova G3's. One lady kept having problems throwing the wood out of the chuck. I gave her my vicmarc and she didn't have a single problem for the rest of the week.

Barry McFadden
03-01-2018, 9:30 AM
For what it's worth....I use the Jumbo Jaws from Oneway ... they line up perfectly and the rubber stops seem to be a lot better than the ones I see on Cole jaws..

Doug Ladendorf
03-01-2018, 10:04 AM
Another Vicmarc chuck user here. I upgraded from Nova chucks some time ago and not looking back. They just perform flawlessly.

Doug

William C Rogers
03-01-2018, 10:15 AM
I don't have the "Robust" chuck, however I have several brands. I have the Barracuda 2, Barracuda 4, small PSI tommy bar, two Super Nova 2's, G3, and the Hurricane HTC 125. The Barracuda's were the first chucks I bought and only use them with speciality jaws, cole jaws on the Barracuda 4 and pin type on the Barracuda 2. The Barracuda cole jaws are machined and don't have the problem you have. The Barracuda jaws are serrated type and work, but I don't like the key system for them. I have not had any problem with my Nova chucks. They need a straight tendon when used in compression and a dovetail when used in expansion. I use the Nova's for work 12" or less. For larger than 12" I used the Hurricane chuck. It is suppose to be a knock off of the Vicmarc. I can't compare because I don't have a Vicmarc, however it is a very good chuck and I would buy it again. It uses dovetail in compression and expansion. If I put the wrong tendon profile (straight vs dovetail) for the jaws used, the work could come out of the chuck, but with the proper profile I have not had a problem with work coming out of any of my chucks. Since I set up my vacuum chuck I seldom use my cole jaws. I'm guessing you have looked to see if your cole jaws are flat and there is no protrusions around the mounting holes.

John K Jordan
03-01-2018, 12:06 PM
Bill, as for the chucks you have in hand.

I'm curious, did you check the grooves and mating lands in the chuck for junk, burrs, or flashing? If it's just one jaw out of whack can you tell if it is warped, or perhaps flat but just angled somewhat from the center to the outside? Perhaps you know another turner with the same Cole jaws you swap for comparison.

I have 16 NOVA chucks (four types some bought used, some new) and I haven't seen any jaw misalignment on any of them. I checked the one with Cole jaws (prob bought 10 years ago) and they align perfectly. I've been quite happy with the chucks, using some now for 15 years.

As for other brands, the Oneway and Vicmark have very good reputations. I believe they cost more than the Nova.

I have two SuperNova chucks.. an original and the 2. I have recently purchased a set of Nova Cole plates and they definitely do NOT line up properly.. They are un-numbered and supposed to fit on any position. I contacted Teknatool and they promptly sent me out a new set. Same thing, and tested on both chuck bodies. I've responded to CS with pictures and they are moving the problem up the line. Their CS is great IMO.

Jim Barkelew
03-01-2018, 9:38 PM
I have a Vicmark 120 and the large cole jaws. One of the 4 is significantly out of plane with the other three. Annoying but not serious enough to make a fuss or attempt to bend it without breaking it. I think the jaw warped during the casting process. No other issues with the chuck.

No problem with my Nova chuck cole jaws.

Dane Riley
03-01-2018, 9:38 PM
Perhaps you know another turner with the same Cole jaws you swap for comparison.

I fit that, and I'm in Forestville This weekend is out, but next week is possible.
If you go to Wine country Woodturners, You've seen if not talked to me. I'm bad with names in my old age. Hard drive is full, I have to forget something to remember something else.
PM me

John Spitters
03-01-2018, 10:44 PM
I’ve got 7 Nova chucks it was 8 but I sold one to a startup woodturner, plus 3 Vicmarcs, a 100, 120 and 150.
I can’t really complain about the Nova chucks as they are decent chucks for the $$$ plus I have all of the jaws that fit these chucks (and when I say all I mean all) plus their jaws are all interchangeable between the Nova, Super Nova2 and the Nova Titan. But in comparison to the Vicmarc chucks, simply put the Vicmarcs are a far superior chuck but also cost much more $$$. For the Nova’s I have two sizes of Cole jaws and for the Vicmarcs I also have two sets of Cole jaws (I can hold up to an 18” bowl) But! I’ve never ever used any of these Cole jaws (yet) I may find a use for them one day but to date not. Actually that’s a bit of a lie as I believe I tried the Cole jaws maybe once or twice but very quickly learned that there are better (more secure) and quicker ways to reverse hold a bowl to finish the bottom of a bowl than having to use Cole jaws, so my Cole jaws just sit in the drawers and try to look impressive.
Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much as to your Cole jaws being coplaner or out of sinc with each plate. (warpage as you refer too) wood is constantly moving and the face of the bowl that you wish to hold in your Cole jaws is most likely more out of true than the face of your Cole jaws that you are pressing it up against.

John K Jordan
03-01-2018, 11:52 PM
I fit that, and I'm in Forestville This weekend is out, but next week is possible.
If you go to Wine country Woodturners, You've seen if not talked to me. I'm bad with names in my old age. Hard drive is full, I have to forget something to remember something else.
PM me

I don't know about Wine country turners. If John Jordan showed up it must have been the "other" John! I always use the "K" to try to keep things straight.

JKJ

Bill Splaine
03-02-2018, 6:25 PM
PM me

Hi Dane, I can put your face to a member.. but, I've not actually met you in person. I love the work you have displayed.. pretty awesome. I'm a relatively new guy.. Old, Bald, white beard.. and well built like you :D. PM coming if I can figure out how.. otherwise I'll try to find your name on the club roster and email you.

Bill Splaine
03-02-2018, 6:32 PM
Honestly I wouldn’t worry too much as to your Cole jaws being coplaner or out of sinc with each plate. (warpage as you refer too) wood is constantly moving and the face of the bowl that you wish to hold in your Cole jaws is most likely more out of true than the face of your Cole jaws that you are pressing it up against.

Understand John. I just HATE to spend good money on something that is coming through with poor quality control I'd rather spend a few more $$ and get something good.

I was watching a video by a fellow who has a woodturning supply in NY, Long Island. He has the brand name Hurricane and was demo'ing the Hurricane scroll chuck and the Hurricane "cole" jaws. Those jaws were actually machined.. but, when I went to his sales page they were case as are mine... but video was a few years old. Probably quit machining to balance a budget for bean counters.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-03-2018, 2:56 PM
I don’t use Cole jaws but the Oneway Jumbo jaws, and no they are not the same.

Every bowl (well 99% of them) that are over 13” and I have returned, have been held in my Oneway Jumbo or Mega Jumbo jaws, and without the help of a tailstock.

You can find lots of pictures of my turnings on this forum.

The speed I use is usually 550rpm but sometimes double that (not often) it is the way the tool is used that makes the biggest difference, a pull cut will more likely pull the turning out of the chuck.

I use a cut that will push the turning into the chuck and take light cuts of course, yes newer turners do have catches, I basically don’t have them after 60 years of turning.

A quality chuck (Oneway) and the Jumbo jaws will give you the best there is IMO.

Regular hold in my Oneway Mega Jumbo jaws.

Returning an oval rim bowl while held in my Oneway Mega Jumbo jaws

Finish turning the bottom of the 3 bowl turning, (try that in colejaws)

Barry McFadden
03-03-2018, 5:45 PM
I agree with you Leo concerning the Oneway Jumbo Jaws.... I have never had a problem using them and don't use the tailstock for support either...

John Sanford
03-07-2018, 5:50 PM
380129 I know Robust has a good name and the price for their chucks are not much more than the NOVA's What I would like to find out from people who have BOTH in their shops.. what is your conclusion.
Are the machining jobs and fit any better on the Robust? A

Bill
Spinzwood in Santa Rosa, CA

I believe Bill is confusing Robust with Record. Both Woodcraft (https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=Record+Power&button=search) and CSUSA (https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/100/6477/Record-Power-SC4-Chuck?term=record+power)carry the Record Power chucks, a fairly new product to the US market. They are NOT made in the UK.

Jens Hoffmann
03-08-2018, 10:37 AM
Could somebody who’s got the Supernova Chuck and a Vicmarc/Oneway chuck elaborate on what makes those chucks superior? I’m fairly new and only have Supernova2 chucks. So far I haven’t had any issues with them, but I also have no idea what I’m missing out on.

John Keeton
03-08-2018, 2:30 PM
Jens, I am sure someone will chime in on your question. But, I enjoyed your classic example of the vortex hole we all fall into at one point or another -"So far I haven’t had any issues with them, but I also have no idea what I’m missing out on." The classic, yet flippant response usually is - "Just one tool away from greatness!"

As a very satisfied owner of 6 Nova chucks (nowhere near as many as JKJ!!!:D) I have found them to be adequate for whatever I turn, given the flexibility of various jaw sizes and configurations. That includes the 24" offset platters I turn on occasion. They are what I started out with, and while I have used VicMarc and OneWay chucks in teaching and demos, I haven't seen any reason to spend the extra money to get either. Perhaps it is only because they are what I am used to, or perhaps the others were poorly maintained, but I find my SN2 chucks to operate somewhat smoother than the other brands I have used.

That said, from my observations I think both the VicMarc and OneWay chucks are probably manufactured with consistent tolerances, and are an excellent piece of machinery. Some folks like the gripping profile/arrangement of the other brands better than the Nova. The VicMarc VM100, which is comparable in size to the SuperNova2, retails at around $210 with 2" jaws, whereas the SN2 can be purchased for around $120, depending on when and where purchased. The Nova Titan II ($210, or less) is comparable in size to the VicMarc VM120 ($260.) Nova does not have a chuck comparable to the VicMarc VM150, which is a brute of a chuck.

So, if what you have works for you, I doubt you would gain anything by changing brands. I prefer all of my chucks to use the same key, so I do not like the idea of having multiple brands. On the other hand, if you intend to turn massive pieces and have the lathe to support that, then one of the larger chucks available in other brands might be worth having.

Or.....perhaps owning a VicMarc or a OneWay would provide instant greatness!!;)

Joe Bradshaw
03-08-2018, 2:40 PM
I use mostly Oneway Strongholds(5) and Oneway Talons(16). I started with the Oneways when I got my first Oneway lathe. I have the big boy 2436 and 2 of the 1224's. I have 5 lathes that are used for turning and one that is set up for buffing. It has taken me around 15 years to get to this point. Probably no more lathes in my future, but, who knows. Good luck as you slide further into the turning vortex.
Joe

Leo Van Der Loo
03-08-2018, 3:31 PM
Could somebody who’s got the Supernova Chuck and a Vicmarc/Oneway chuck elaborate on what makes those chucks superior? I’m fairly new and only have Supernova2 chucks. So far I haven’t had any issues with them, but I also have no idea what I’m missing out on.

Some chucks do this.

John Keeton
03-08-2018, 3:48 PM
Leo, good info, but all three brands have good specs - https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova-supernova2-woodturning-chuck-m33/

Leo Van Der Loo
03-08-2018, 4:11 PM
Leo, good info, but all three brands have good specs - https://www.teknatool.com/product/nova-supernova2-woodturning-chuck-m33/

There is Good-Better- Best John, did you read Russ’s statement, which is what mine is as well, hardened and ground surfaces you will find on the best ones, “Oneway Chucks”

John Keeton
03-08-2018, 6:34 PM
Leo, your Canadian loyalties are well placed. The OneWays are fine chucks. I guess my thoughts run more to functional differences rather than material specifications. I think all three brands have quality materials and machining and will last decades. There are differences in the direction the various brands tighten, the way the keys are shaped and used, and the configuration of the jaws. One important difference is the warranty. VicMarc is 12 months, OneWay is 2 years and Nova is 6 years full replacement.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-09-2018, 12:16 AM
Leo, your Canadian loyalties are well placed. The OneWays are fine chucks. I guess my thoughts run more to functional differences rather than material specifications. I think all three brands have quality materials and machining and will last decades. There are differences in the direction the various brands tighten, the way the keys are shaped and used, and the configuration of the jaws. One important difference is the warranty. VicMarc is 12 months, OneWay is 2 years and Nova is 6 years full replacement.

John warranty does not make for better quality, as for 6 years, my oldest chucks are more than 20 years old and will last many years yet, I have never needed to take any of my chucks apart, and as for the materials used, there is quite some difference in it, the difference in jaws is very important IMO, but then again if you are satisfied with your chucks that is fine, for those that have to decide which make to buy, the North American made Oneway is the better choice IMO.

Bill Blasic
03-09-2018, 6:46 AM
I hate to say it but I have over 30 chucks. Novas, Vicmarcs, Oneways, Axminster and Bulldog chucks. Chucks are no different than Lathes, lathe tools etc., everyone owns what they consider the best. It is always a status thing that they own the best. In my 17 years of turning I have seen reports of every lathe, chuck and tools as to something being wrong no matter the brand. Most of my chucks are Novas, not because they are better but because they are as good as any of the other chucks I have period! Most of the other chucks come in two sizes which means buying two sizes of the same jaws. All the jaws (except the three screw hole Titan jaws) fit all the Nova chucks. I do not pick a chuck out of the cabinet for the brand I choose for what jaws are on the chuck for the job I need it for each one. Consequently I will never wear out these chucks just because I have so many and they all get used. I have three sets of Cole jaws all of which fit and work without problem and I use them for specific pieces. If you have been using Nova chucks without a problem you are missing nothing not using other brands. Having used and using them daily there is no one that can convince me that one brand is better than the other as they all work. Just because one chuck costs twice as much as the other does not mean it is better. My 2¢.

John K Jordan
03-09-2018, 10:34 AM
I hate to say it but I have over 30 chucks. Novas, Vicmarcs, Oneways, Axminster and Bulldog chucks. Chucks are no different than Lathes, lathe tools etc., everyone owns what they consider the best. It is always a status thing that they own the best.... Just because one chuck costs twice as much as the other does not mean it is better. My 2¢.

Yeah, someone with more chucks than me! I can now say "Talk to Bill." :)

As for "everyone owns what they consider the best", with most things I think it might be "everyone believes what they spent their money on is the best", in other words we will typically defend our choices and our expenditures. What's the best lathe/chuck/gouge/sandpaper to get? The one I spent a lot of money on and if I didn't say so I would be admitting I didn't make the best choice. I think ego and the desire to be "right" plays a part and the more spent the stronger the desire. I smile when I read someone going over the top to defend their choice the way they would defend their honor. Yes, I always recommend Thompson tools because I like them (and because I have about 50 here?) but Sorby, Crown, Harbor Freight, and even old carbon steel gouges will not stop a woodturner.

Fortunately, as you well stated, nearly all of anything you buy these days will work and work well. Blaming the chuck for my deficiency would be like blaming a pencil for my test score.

I chose Novas for my next 15 chucks after I was satisfied with the first one. That all the jaws are interchangeable is a huge point for me. The inserts mean that when I kick off someone can sell the chucks regardless of the buyer's lathe. Your point about choosing from the cabinet for the jaws is the biggest thing for me as well. I keep several identical of my most-used jaws on chucks so I can leave partially completed things chucked while working on something else.

The girl who came yesterday evening started on her first lidded box, her third real project. It will stay in that chuck until she gets back, maybe not for a week or more. No problem! But yikes, she chose a design that needed swan-necked hollowing for her first try - the girl does nothing half-way!

JKJ

Roger Chandler
03-09-2018, 11:20 AM
Design as well as materials come into consideration for chucks. I started out with a SuperNova, the original one. Then purchased 4 SuperNova2's...the interchangable jaws that JKJ mentions is the biggest reason why I stuck with the Nova lineup.

That being said, now that I have used some other brands, I find I like some features better than the Nova chucks. I have purchased 4 Hurricane chucks, because they are very well made, and for sure the insert design is far superior to the Nova inserts in my opinion. They have an insert like what is on the Oneway's which utilize a taper on the inside and 3 screws to hold in place. The inserts on the SuperNova2's that I have must have the little red leather washer to allow the set screw to hold in place, and they do come lose for sure, and need to be checked from time to time. I have had more wobble out of SuperNova2 design because of the insert not seating properly, and then having to go back and redo the whole thing to get it running true again.

I have never seen a better quality chuck than the Vicmarcs, but I don't own any of those. I have used a couple, and some Oneway Stronghold chucks, but for my own shop, chose the Hurricanes, because they are clones of the Vicmarcs, and have the insert design of the Oneway Strongholds.

The quality and function is there for sure with the Hurricane's and the value is there as well. I have had one of my HTC-100"s apart, and carefully inspected the inside, just to see how it was made. I find they are more stable in the slides than the Nova's I own, and have less play in the whole scroll mechanism. I have never had Hurricane jaws loosen on the hold,, but have many time had that happen with the Nova's. I always re-tighten the Novas after turning for a bit, but never have had to re-tighten the Hurricanes, although I did check to see if they were tight a number of times, just to be safe. I was pleasantly surprised by the consistent pressure of the jaws on the wood tenon.

I also prefer the key design on the Hurricanes and Nova's to the Oneway chucks. The simple square end key on the Hurricane's are so easy, and the ball ended allen wrench design of the Nova's are easier to use than my original SuperNova that uses a keyed wrench like the Oneway's... These I know are my own personal preferences, and the value I have for the quality in the Hurricane lineup is what makes me glad to recommend them. My last Hurricane HTC-100 4" chuck came with the set screw in the insert to lock it down, and Steve Fulgoni changed that factor on the inserts going forward. The set screw is also larger than the ones on the SuperNova2's.

roger wiegand
03-09-2018, 12:58 PM
I have no idea if my Vicmarc is the "best", but it works very well for me, better than my Nova chuck for anything bigger than a few inches in diameter. I used the Nova for years turning a variety of things, so I know it will work fine if that's what you have. There may well be better chucks available, but I can't afford to find out just now. What I particularly like about the Vicmarc is the one hand adjustment with a beefy hex key. I find it much easier to use than the drill chuck type keys on other chucks I've tried-- it engages very solidly, with no tendency to pop out, and miles easier than the two lever system on my Nova, where one of the little handles is invariably dropped onto a pile of chips requiring a 10 minute search before the next step of whatever I was trying to do. If I had three hands to hold the two handles and the workpiece at the same time I'd probably like it better.

I recently bought the cole jaws for the Vicmarc and found them to be flat, true, and concentric. I'm enjoying not having to make so many jam chucks.

John Keeton
03-09-2018, 1:52 PM
Good post, Roger. I do not own any Hurricane chucks as I have not had any issues with any of my SN2 chucks. However, I have heard good things about the Hurricane chucks. They do include the insert, and that puts them within $30 or so of the SN2. The features are impressive, though the jaw selection is not as broad as the Nova line. I also did not see much information on the specs as one sees on the other brands, nor warranty info, but I may have just missed finding that info.

I can’t see a reason to ever change, but for someone buying their first chuck the Hurricane line looks to be a good choice.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-09-2018, 2:18 PM
I have no idea if my Vicmarc is the "best", but it works very well for me, better than my Nova chuck for anything bigger than a few inches in diameter. I used the Nova for years turning a variety of things, so I know it will work fine if that's what you have. There may well be better chucks available, but I can't afford to find out just now. What I particularly like about the Vicmarc is the one hand adjustment with a beefy hex key. I find it much easier to use than the drill chuck type keys on other chucks I've tried-- it engages very solidly, with no tendency to pop out, and miles easier than the two lever system on my Nova, where one of the little handles is invariably dropped onto a pile of chips requiring a 10 minute search before the next step of whatever I was trying to do. If I had three hands to hold the two handles and the workpiece at the same time I'd probably like it better.

I recently bought the cole jaws for the Vicmarc and found them to be flat, true, and concentric. I'm enjoying not having to make so many jam chucks.

Roger the Vicmark is right up there with the Oneway chucks, but they do rust and don’t have the Oneway patented Jaws, it is especially the jaws why I went with the Oneway chucks, rather than the Vicmark.

The Oneway chucks are not “GOOD DEAL” chucks, as it seems a lot of people go for, even where you read that someone is very happy with their “good deal” chuck, where as soon as they get them, they will take the chuck apart to clean all the metal shavings out, and then get their file out to smoothen the edges (soft steel) and lubricate the innards (wood dust sticks to it) and then the brand new chuck works.

I have always gone for quality, not “good deals” or lowest cost, it pays in the end, while it is a joy to use it and with no frustration.

The Oneway chucks jaw slides travel farther and the jaws hold better at all opening sizes, meaning fewer chucks and even less different jaws needed or to having to change.

No one here is “going over the top” I have stated why I choose the Oneway, and giving the reasons for it, too bad if you choose the “best deal chuck’ and find now you are stuck with something less.

Good enough ???, end of story

Bill Blasic
03-11-2018, 8:55 AM
The right way to hold on a tenon is to have all of the jaw circumference holding on to the wood no matter what chuck you are using. To state that the jaws open wider are a good thing for turning is kind of silly, the further the jaws are open the less contact you have with the jaws. With the jaws wide open you are gripping on just 8 points instead of the 100% (or near 100%) of a right sized tenon. The only reason I have Oneway chucks is that for ten years I brought in Pro turners and I wanted them to be on hand and yes one Pro asked for one. Now that I'm not doing that I changed out the jaws to dovetail jaws so I could use the chucks. Serrated jaws are not my cup of tea. And just to let you know that I have actually purchased over 40 chucks and never did I have to take one apart to fix anything.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-11-2018, 1:04 PM
The right way to hold on a tenon is to have all of the jaw circumference holding on to the wood no matter what chuck you are using. To state that the jaws open wider are a good thing for turning is kind of silly, the further the jaws are open the less contact you have with the jaws. With the jaws wide open you are gripping on just 8 points instead of the 100% (or near 100%) of a right sized tenon. The only reason I have Oneway chucks is that for ten years I brought in Pro turners and I wanted them to be on hand and yes one Pro asked for one. Now that I'm not doing that I changed out the jaws to dovetail jaws so I could use the chucks. Serrated jaws are not my cup of tea. And just to let you know that I have actually purchased over 40 chucks and never did I have to take one apart to fix anything.

I suppose you don’t know about the patented Oneway jaws, or never bothered to try or use them.

Using dovetail jaws do exactly what you say, they ONLY hold well if fitting exactly the one size tenon, where the jaws are fitting 100%.

The Patented Oneway jaws will hold as well at that exact size, and then on the smaller or larger sizes just as well, where the dovetail jaws fail to hold.

Have a look at this picture where you can see why the dovetail jaws are failing every size tenon but at the exact size, also meaning one is forced to only use one size tenon or buy a whole slew of jaws if one wants to make the right size tenon for the turnings size.

Where the Patented Oneway jaws will hold perfectly at all sizes the chuck will open up to, and so a better hold on changed sizes of drying wet wood tenons, and freedom to use the right size for the turning, without having to buy a whole slew of jaws.

Oh I have only half a dozen Oneway chucks, that covers all the jaw sizes and the Jumbo and Mega Jumbo jaws, I have used them for better than 20 years, they will last me and my grand children will still be using them with no trouble I’m sure.

​381036

Oh ja, the talk about the marks on the tenon with the Oneway jaws, I finish my turnings and that includes removing the tenon, or cleaning up the recess.

JohnC Lucas
03-11-2018, 5:18 PM
I've used the ONeway jaws several times in demos and classes when I couldn't bring my Vicmarc's. The Vicmarc jaws hold better when mostly closed. A lot better. Wide open of course they don't hold as well. I think ONeway makes a very good chuck although changing out the inserts is a pain if you have to do that often. Since I do travel and do demos on other lathes it's necessary to be able to change the inserts quickly and easily.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-12-2018, 1:07 AM
I've used the ONeway jaws several times in demos and classes when I couldn't bring my Vicmarc's. The Vicmarc jaws hold better when mostly closed. A lot better. Wide open of course they don't hold as well. I think ONeway makes a very good chuck although changing out the inserts is a pain if you have to do that often. Since I do travel and do demos on other lathes it's necessary to be able to change the inserts quickly and easily.

The precise fit of the tapered Oneway insert is made so you can change it if/when you get yourself another lathe, so you do not need to purchase another chuck, but it hardly meant to change it on a daily basis, even though it can be done.

Threaded inserts are easier to change, but very often not as precise and concentric fitting, as the treaded parts do need clearance in order to be able be screwed together, take that and the chuck having to be threaded onto the spindle and you have twice the chance of runout.

As far as holding, the profiled and serrated jaws hold as well as the smooth jaws at design size, anywhere under and above and the Profiled serrated jaws will hold better, especially on green and wet woods.

It is when roughing green and wet bowl blanks that the extra secure hold of the Oneway jaws come to fore, not really needed with turning small dry wood, used to turn things like mirrors or boxes.

The Oneway profile jaws have proofed themselves to me time and again while turning large and roughing large bowl blanks and half logs.

I am and have always been very satisfied with the performance of the Oneway chucks with their profiled jaws as well as the Jumbo and Mega Jumbo jaws.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-12-2018, 1:15 AM
I think I have stated why I think the Oneway chucks and jaw system is best IMO, and I don’t want to be repeating myself time and again, so if you disagree that is fine with me.

This will be the last reply in this thread on this, thank You :D

David C. Roseman
03-12-2018, 11:16 AM
This thread is a hoot! What would the turning world be without a debate on scroll chucks every few months? :) Add in the too-human elements of confirmation bias and cognitive dissonance that Bill Blasic and John Jordan touch on, and things never fail to get lively. Fortunately for my own peace of mine, I, as with others, am confident of my complete objectivity. So here's my view. I happen to have Oneways and Hurricanes. Two Strongholds and two Talons. All work great. But I also have two Hurricane HTC 125s and two HTC 100s. I happen to prefer the Hurricanes. Excellent mass, very smooth and precise. The fully-closed back (like the Vicmarc) is a plus, as is the square-drive key design, compared to the open-back and the beveled pinion-gear drive key design of the Oneway. Less exposed to dust and debris.

So, there it is. Having no confirmation bias, nor concern with cognitive dissonance, I, too, am going to drop the mic and depart the building. :D

Roger Chandler
03-12-2018, 1:59 PM
... So here's my view. I happen to have Oneways and Hurricanes. Two Strongholds and two Talons. All work great. But I also have two Hurricane HTC 125s and two HTC 100s. I happen to prefer the Hurricanes. Excellent mass, very smooth and precise. The fully-closed back (like the Vicmarc) is a plus, as is the square-drive key design, compared to the open-back and the beveled pinion-gear drive key design of the Oneway. Less exposed to dust and debris.

So, there it is. Having no confirmation bias, nor concern with cognitive dissonance, I, too, am going to drop the mic and depart the building. :D
Okeeedokeeee, then! No further debate needed, huh? :D:rolleyes:

David Delo
03-12-2018, 2:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74a1d0J-4sE

Jeffrey J Smith
03-12-2018, 2:55 PM
Full disclosure - I’ve only got Oneway chucks in my shop - 3 Stronghols, 2 Talons and a Oneway tommy bar chuck that takes the Talon jaws. While I have the profiled jaws in a couple of sizes - #2 and #3, and tower jaws for both OW and Talon, I think, I switched over long ago to the Oneway smooth dovetailed jaws for the vast bulk of what I do. I did this after using two different sizes of Vicmark dovetail jaws (in Oneway Versa Jaws made to fit Vic jaws) on primarily green blanks while roughing and coring.
I am fairly careful when making the tenons, so they fit well at design size for the jaws (using a sizing template to get it pretty close), and there is virtually no difference in holding power that I can notice betwen the Oneway and the Vicmark smooth dovetail jaws. I find the OW profiled jaws a little too aggressive on green wood blanks. Perhaps I’m more of a brute than I suspect, but I’ve had the tenons shear off when coring more than once. Ever since, the smooth dovetail jaws are on most times - whether they are Oneway or Vicmark is only based on what slides are on the chuck and what size the tenon is. Both the smooth jaws and the profiled jaws seem to hold equally well on the oval tenons of dried blanks when squaring everything up, but once the tenon is cleaned up, the dovetails are what I go to...

John Keeton
03-12-2018, 3:18 PM
And.....the conclusion is.....each to his own!!! As previously stated (in this thread and many others) we all seem to think that the brands of lathes, tools, chucks, and on and on, that we bought have to be the best as they are based upon our individual diligent research and infallible judgment!!:D

But, feel free to ride this horse for another lap around the track.

Bill Splaine
03-12-2018, 11:21 PM
I believe Bill is confusing Robust with Record. Both Woodcraft (https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=Record+Power&button=search) and CSUSA (https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/100/6477/Record-Power-SC4-Chuck?term=record+power)carry the Record Power chucks, a fairly new product to the US market. They are NOT made in the UK. John, you are correct.. I mis-typed.. it is the Record.. not Robust.. I can't even blame that on a fat finger mistake hitting the incorrect keys :)

Bill Splaine
03-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Back to my OP... Turns out Nova sent me two sets of JCole Jaw sets and both were warped pretty badly. They upgraded me to the larger Cole jaws and they work very well... in that they lay flat as they are supposed to. There are still quality issues.. In this latest case, whoever does the castings does not check the counterbore holes that the setscrews that attach the jaws to the chuck fit into.. phew.. long running sentence. The diameter of those mounting holes are a few thousandths undersized and I have to grind the diameters of the flats down a scosh to make them work.. Chinese quality control that Nova is not double checking..

Anyhow, thanks to all the contributors to this thread.