PDA

View Full Version : Wood ID help

Prashun Patel
02-28-2018, 11:12 AM
A friend let me have some of this lumber.
He said it was Mulberry, but that's not consistent with Google images.

Roger Chandler
02-28-2018, 11:19 AM
There are several varieties of mulberry. This looks like some yellow mulberry I have turned. I turned a spindle from it yesterday....very similar.

David Dockstader
02-28-2018, 1:03 PM
Looks like mulberry to me. It will turn from the Mountain Dew yellow to a nice brown after sufficient UV exposure.

John K Jordan
02-28-2018, 1:12 PM
Looks a lot like some mulberry to me too. Weighing a piece to figure the density might help too. Some mulberry looks a lot like osage orange in photos but osage is a MUCH harder and denser. The two smell different too but that's hard to describe in words. What little is shown of the bark is not inconsistent with larger trees of either. I've found large osage trees more common than large mulberrry.

The sap wood look more like osage in your photo but photos of wood surfaces are more useful for guesses than identification.

Close examination of the endgrain could cinch it. From Hobbithouseinc: "The late growth in mulberry is full of open pores, much like ash, whereas the late growth in osage orange is solid." Also tyloses in mulberry are "common" while those in osage orange are "extremely abundant". Without experience it is best to compare endgrain closeups with known samples or with photos from the wood id sites. Or just call it something and go on.

JKJ

Leo Van Der Loo
03-03-2018, 2:09 PM
A friend let me have some of this lumber.
He said it was Mulberry, but that's not consistent with Google images.

That is Mulberry Prashun, there are (2) two species of Mulberry, the native Red Mulberry and the imported White Mulberry (for silkworm use that didn’t work out), I can not tell a difference in the wood of these species, I have turned both.

It is not Osage Orange, the bark looks quite different, if you compare the pictures here, (first 3 are mine) you will see the Orange that shows in the bark, also in the 2 other pictures.

If you are still not sure, take the saw dust from your wood and do the Dye making test, the recipe is right there.

380346 380347 380350

380348 380349 380351