PDA

View Full Version : Afraid of losing a finger while woodworking? MIT has a robot for you...

Harold Balzonia
02-28-2018, 1:00 AM
Furniture builders/designers beware.... the kids at MIT just made robots that will make every cut for you. Maybe this is the ultimate sawstop system! And it looks like CNC is yesterday's news....

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/28/mit-autosaw-custom-furniture/

https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/28/mit-autosaw-custom-furniture/

glenn bradley
02-28-2018, 7:12 AM
What a crack-up; I love the Roomba router :D

Bill Carey
02-28-2018, 8:51 AM
Great find. Every now and then I'm glad I'm 70 not 20. Wait, no I'm not.....

Art Mann
02-28-2018, 1:29 PM
What a spectacular demonstration of just how artificial "artificial intelligence" is.

Pat Barry
02-28-2018, 3:26 PM
I can't wait - no more Sawstop discussions once they finish the development, then it will be all robot discussions!

Bob Leistner
02-28-2018, 3:45 PM
I want to see the sharpening robot.......

John Sanford
03-05-2018, 2:03 PM
I'm with Bob. I want to see the shop monkey aka "apprentice" robot. Sharpens and cleans up. Doubling as a power feeder and/or infeed/outfeed support is okay as well.

Wayne Lomman
03-05-2018, 3:26 PM
Wonderful. All those human skills replaced by robots who require... oh yes, human skills to repair them. Had the delight of keeping robots operating in harsh environments? Seen the cost of on site repairs? They keep telling us it will all get better with more development. I'm still waiting. In the meantime, I'll keep working on my new library shelving without robot assistance. Cheers

Simon MacGowen
03-05-2018, 3:37 PM
I can't wait - no more Sawstop discussions once they finish the development, then it will be all robot discussions!

Wait a minute. Even mentioning no more SawStop discussions could start another round of debate! (That topic never fails to create forum traffic!)

Simon

Kev Williams
03-05-2018, 4:59 PM
Wonderful. All those human skills replaced by robots who require... oh yes, human skills to repair them. Nah, they'll just build robot repair robots.

Getting a little too close to 'Matrix, meet Terminator' to me...

Wayne Lomman
03-05-2018, 7:23 PM
As I said, I'm still waiting. I have been using robots off and on for 20 years and still no repair bots. There do seem to be plenty of highway robbers disguised as repair technicians however. All the promos are shot in pristine working conditions. I want to see reliability in a harsh environment. Cheers

Jim Barkelew
03-05-2018, 7:33 PM
Having worked in the CNC world I can gaurantee writing software to do simple human tasks with a CNC machine or robot can be very complicated. For example the simple task of avoiding a knot in the board would make this demo very complex.

Great learning experience for the students. Hats off to them.

What I need is a robot to get that skunk out from under the shed.