View Full Version : Computer Drivers

lowell holmes
02-28-2018, 12:12 AM
Do you update your computer drivers?

If so, what results do you get?

Thanks!

Jim Becker
02-28-2018, 8:55 AM
I always keep computers current...and at this point, it's a lot easier than in the "good old days" since the process is generally automated unless you have something unusual. Staying current not only insures that things function correctly, it sometimes adds features and keeps things more secure.

The exception might be a computer that's used for a dedicated purpose, such as machine control, and it doesn't have any Internet connection to raise worries about security. A static configuration can be safer in that respect.

Malcolm McLeod
02-28-2018, 9:20 AM
... and keeps things more secure.

^+1 - Security is a never-ending game of leap frog (hackers find an exploit, software developers patch it >> rinse/repeat). Software updates and patching, whether of drivers or of available software versions, is a good way to reduce your exposure. Most of the time it's free, and it is becoming more important as the IoT explodes. The hack-able 'surface area' of our lives is expanding with it. You don't need to live in a cave with pine knot lanterns - just get latest updates for your PC/tablet/etc..

:confused:When is the last time anyone updated their Adobe Reader...??? Black-hats can deliver malware in a PDF. >>>> Update!!!

Grant Wilkinson
02-28-2018, 9:31 AM
I update drivers, but very seldom from Microsoft. I go to the maker of the hardware - graphics card, sound card, etc - and get them from there.

lowell holmes
02-28-2018, 6:40 PM
I keep getting a popup concerning updating my computer drivers. I might do it, but they want money and I don't know them.

Jim Becker
02-28-2018, 7:34 PM
I keep getting a popup concerning updating my computer drivers. I might do it, but they want money and I don't know them.

Thanks for mentioning that. It's an ad. It doesn't mean you actually have out of date drivers. You don't need to pay someone to do this and very likely, there may be something nefarious about clicking on that link!

Lee Schierer
02-28-2018, 7:55 PM

I would run a malware detection program and make sure my computer hasn't been contaminated. Then I would ignore the pop up it is most likely and advertisement.

Myk Rian
03-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Probably because you have an automated driver update program installed. Not by your own doing, but because you installed something that the updater was riding in on the install.
Always read those little check boxes when you install something. Usually, the default is to install them, such as a Yahoo search browser add-on, driver updaters, etc.
Find that program and un-install it.

Curt Harms
03-02-2018, 8:37 AM
:confused:When is the last time anyone updated their Adobe Reader...??? Black-hats can deliver malware in a PDF. >>>> Update!!!

Or use something besides Adobe reader. Adobe flash & reader have been referred to as "the screen door to the internet" IOW lots and lots of holes.

Grant Wilkinson
03-02-2018, 9:44 AM
I have not used Adobe Reader in more years than I can remember. As for Flash, I use it because many web sites still require it, but it is updated so often, it's hard to keep up. Thankfully, it will be gone soon.