PDA

View Full Version : Tongue and groove

lowell holmes
02-27-2018, 11:36 PM
I have an old 1944 vintage book "It's Fun to Make It Yourself". It has an interesting joint that is a long grain tongue and groove
except it has two grooves with a loose tongue. If you can visualize wood flooring with no tongue but two grooves, you will understand my
interest in the joint.

I am an old woodworker, but I thought about it before.

I just thought I would share it with you,

J.R. Rutter
02-27-2018, 11:57 PM
AKA spline joint, sounds like. Agree - it is a versatile way to approach long grain joints, both loose and glued permanently.

James Pallas
02-28-2018, 12:13 AM
Great joint for the kit. I've used it many times. One way I really like is to use it for panels. You can make the spline as wide as you wish and get a well shaped round over or bullnose on both pieces spaced as you like it. I found it hard to get the edge shape I liked on the tongue piece. Easy to make on a table saw too.
Jim

Wayne Lomman
02-28-2018, 6:14 AM
This joint is still in use here with flooring grade chipboard albeit with a plastic tongue. They use different colours to identify the different thicknesses and grades. The only problem is that on building sites, electricians raid the plastic tongue to use for pulling wires through awkward places! Cheers

glenn bradley
02-28-2018, 6:58 AM
Splines can serve uses both hidden

380080 . 380083

and visible.

380081 . 380082

Lisa Starr
02-28-2018, 4:09 PM
Our entire kitchen floor has that type of system. Both sides and ends of individual boards are grooved. Then loose splines were placed as it was laid. Of course, due to the age of our home, it is face nailed, not nailed thru the tongue.