PDA

View Full Version : Chipped router bit: opinions?

Jay Aubuchon
02-27-2018, 10:24 PM
I chipped my Eagle America 154-0805 1/2" cove bit this morning. I was cutting a small quantity of pine and red oak. I'm pretty certain that I hit nothing but wood.

380061 380062

The bit still cuts okay, but I suspect I should discard it. Agree or disagree?

Also, I'm inclined to chalk it up to bad luck rather than pursue it with Eagle America. Agree or disagree? I'm kind of busy to spend a lot of time on it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Mel Fulks
02-27-2018, 10:29 PM
I would carefully look at it ,if there are no cracks or damage beyond that chip ,would continue to use it.

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2018, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't bother going back to the seller. Bits get dinged. They're expendable.

But I'd replace the bit. The chip has removed part of the cutting edge. You'll get a strip along anything you attempt to cut with that part of the edge.

Scott Buehler
02-27-2018, 11:06 PM
I would keep using it, unless you see other damage. There are 2 cutting surfaces on that bit. If you see it making strips or lines from the chip, then I would discard

Curt Harms
02-28-2018, 6:04 AM
I wonder about balance, would that missing piece be enough to cause a vibration? If so that wouldn't do the router's bearings any favors.

Wayne Lomman
02-28-2018, 6:10 AM
You won't get warranty. Unless it is enough to unbalance it, keep using it. If it leaves a line, get it sharpened out or replace it. This is likely the result of an unnoticed hit on something hard while it was stationary. Cheers

glenn bradley
02-28-2018, 7:10 AM
I wouldn't want to deal with the vibration. Eagle USA made bits are Whiteside bits. I had a Whiteside bit fail BUT, there was a pretty obvious snowflake in the casting. I sent it to them just to be a whatta-guy and help them with their QC. they sent me a new bit that I wasn't even expecting.

George Bokros
02-28-2018, 7:13 AM
Eagle USA made bits are Whiteside bits.

Interesting, how did you find this out? Are they still made by Whitside since MLCS now owns Eagle America?

glenn bradley
02-28-2018, 7:37 AM
Interesting, how did you find this out? Are they still made by Whitside since MLCS now owns Eagle America?

I believe this was mentioned in a Fine Woodworking review where Whiteside and Eagle America unsurprisingly tested equally. This was a few years ago. although Eagle now sells "Eagle" bits and MLCS bits I am not sure if Eagle's USA made bits are still Whiteside or not so I probably should have said "were once" instead of "are". :) This is a good question as the prices used to be within a few cents of each other but, now seem farther apart (?). I believe Klingspor's Woodworking Shop is selling re-branded Whiteside bits now as well. You'll notice the bit model numbers on the shanks (and the prices) match.

Tom M King
02-28-2018, 8:02 AM
I didn't check the Eagle catalog, but Whiteside only makes/made their high end bits. I don't know where the others are made. The last time I looked, they had several price point levels.

Jim Becker
02-28-2018, 9:03 AM
I personally wouldn't continue to use the bit with a chip out like that. It's going to be unbalanced and even if only a little bit (pardon the expression) it could have an impact on cut quality overall and for sure in that one spot where only one cutting surface is engaging the material.

johnny means
02-28-2018, 6:39 PM
If it wasn't chipped on both edges and still cut a cove, I wouldn't even think twice. Really, what do you think could happen?

Nick Decker
02-28-2018, 6:57 PM
To be safe, I'd throw it out. If the metal has a fault or is fatigued, when does the next piece fall off? Where does it go?

Ray Newman
02-28-2018, 7:11 PM
Here's my take: if it chipped just from cutting wood, I do believe there is a problem with the bit. Toss it!

marty fretheim
02-28-2018, 7:29 PM
Call them and see what they say. You never know, they might just send you another. Lee Valley probably would.

Ron Citerone
02-28-2018, 8:45 PM
I would definitely not use a router bit that was chipped. The RPM is so high I don't think it's worth the risk. My 2 pennies.

Bruce Wrenn
02-28-2018, 9:31 PM
If the chipping is in only one cutting edge, then it's a material defect, unless you dropped it, or it hit something in storage. If it's in both edges, then you hit something, and it's on you. Call if it's only one edge. They are going to either say yes, or no if you ask for replacement, but they won't if you don't ask.

Mike Henderson
02-28-2018, 10:08 PM
I'd toss it but keep the bearing. Cove bits like that are common and not that expensive.

Mike

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2018, 10:21 PM
The brand new bit I bought would come with that exact chip and need to be returned for replacement. Let the dealer sort it out with the mfg.

Frederick Skelly
03-01-2018, 6:10 AM
Jay,
The bit chipped and you have no easy way to see if it's structurally sound. Routers turn very fast and if another piece should come off, you've got shrapnel. If you can afford to replace it, I wouldn't take a chance. But that's just me.

I also agree with others that said call Eagle.

Fred

Stan Calow
03-01-2018, 9:16 AM
I remember seeing a TV program a few years ago, in which they visited a factory in the US making router bits. One could infer from the show that this factory made bits for several different brands, as they showed a step in which they described painting them in different colors, etc. So perhaps Eagle and Whiteside are made in the same place, possibly different specs?

Mike Cutler
03-01-2018, 9:58 AM
Jay

I wouldn't use it. The risk of another piece coming off is there. Might not happen, but it could.

Andrew Gibson
03-01-2018, 10:11 AM
I'd run it.
I would not consider it a defect either. Bad carbide will either come off clean (bad braise) or never make it through the grinding/sharpening process.

I would not worry about the balance until the bit started talking to me.

Erik Christensen
03-01-2018, 11:18 AM
it's a tool - if it still works (acceptable cut quality & vibration) then keep using it till it no longer works then discard

johnny means
03-01-2018, 6:49 PM
The idea that this is somehow dangerous is absolutely ridiculous.

Jeff Ramsey
03-02-2018, 7:37 AM
I'll second the balance comment. It's not worth the risk. Pitch and replace.

johnny means
03-02-2018, 7:17 PM
So, would we all toss out our single flute bits?

Jeff Ramsey
03-02-2018, 7:26 PM
No need to. Single flute bits are balanced when manufactured.

johnny means
03-02-2018, 8:20 PM
Are they still balanced after a couple of sharpenings?
BTW, the vast majority of router bits are never balanced. Manufacturers toss around the term like they actually have some guy grinding a little off the heavy side. They are simply manufactured to a spec that, if held, should run balanced enough to not cause excess vibration.

Jay Aubuchon
03-03-2018, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all of the perspective. Putting aside cut quality, which would be readily apparent if it is an issue, here's a summary.

Several mentioned vibration due to imbalance, with potential damage to the router bearings.

Several mentioned that this chip might portend further bits of carbide flying off.

Several said "what, me worry?" Run it unless there is evident imbalance or poor cut quality.

As usual, no clear consensus. I wonder what Pat Warner would have said. Being on the cautious side, I will probably replace it. And, although I am pretty darn careful with my bits, I probably did whack that bit on something hard somewhere along the way. So I wouldn't feel right asking for a replacement.

Mike Cutler
03-04-2018, 9:29 AM
Jay

Probably something like 99.9% of the time, things like this work out and nothing really happens. You could probably use that bit for years with no ill effects, but why?
Knowingly working with defective, and or broken, tools is foolish. I don't care what kind of tool it is, or what it does.
You're making the prudent decision, and I'm fairly certain Pat would have told you to replace it.

Jay Aubuchon
03-12-2018, 11:57 AM
I replaced this bit with Whiteside #1805. The two bits look exactly alike; except for the chip, of course. So maybe Whiteside did make the one for Eagle America.

John Sanford
03-13-2018, 2:23 PM
I would probably have replaced it... or not, given that I have a two flute straight bit with a chunk outta one tip that I've been using until I get around to replacing it. (Everytime I think about picking up a replacement, I don't recall what size it is!!)

I would not use it in a router table, especially with a PC690. I had a solid carbide straight bit break on me in my router table, with the PC690 mounted. Have the bit fell down... into the router. Dead router. Solid hard chunkies dropping into the spinning spinny guts of a router tends to puree the spinny guts. okay, maybe not puree, but y'all get the idea. Would a wee chip like the OP lost do the same? Don't know, wouldn't want to find out with my own router.

Bill Fleming
03-13-2018, 8:54 PM
I just had a similar issue. The Freud straight bit lost a chunk of carbide at the end. On examination and comparison to a similar Whiteside, the Whiteside clearly has better support behind the carbide. I am smarter and will look closer when buying.

Yonak Hawkins
03-14-2018, 12:58 AM
I hate to admit that I haven't read all the responses but I feel pretty certain many of them said unbalanced, high-speed bits cause annoying and counter-productive vibration. I agree with them.