PDA

View Full Version : I'm Very Grateful for what My Dad Taught Me

Andrew Joiner
02-27-2018, 1:06 PM
Every time I go for a walk in the woods, it happens. Some little thing. Like today I see a bird under a tree, my instincts are alerted. It reminds me of the first time I shot a partridge.
I was 7. I was a fair shot with my .22 rifle at targets, but now it was hunting season. I'd seen dead partridges and help clean them. Now dad tells me "walk quietly"--"no your still to noisy, they hear every branch break under your boots"--"like this'' He tiptoed. We both tiptoed. Then he whispered" there, under the spruce". But that looks like a tiny dark chicken I said. It moved like we were, tiptoeing and pecking the ground.
"That's a partridge, aim carefully" Dad said. One shot in the head and I got it.
So grateful my Dad grew up on a homestead farm in the depression. He had to use the skills his Dad and brothers taught him to survive. Every time I'm out doors some echo of Dad's knowledge passed down to me runs through my brain.
Thanks Dad!

Jim Koepke
02-27-2018, 3:14 PM
My dad wasn't a hunter so not many outdoor life remembrances for me. However he was a tinkerer and repaired appliances and furniture. Most of my fatherly moment memories come to me while in my shop.

My big vise was in his business workshop for many years. Some of the tools and clamps in my shop were given to me by him. Even though the bandsaw he gave me now has a different home my current bandsaw invokes memories of him and some of the things he made using the old one.

My shop was much less cluttered back then. This one was made before 1936 from all that has been found on Parker Vises. It is a model #106. Many memories of growing up around this big hunk of iron.

jtk

Izzy Camire
02-27-2018, 3:21 PM
Ya my Dad taught me a lot of things too. Most of all though he always said, "Can't is not in the dictionary find some way to get it done." Today I figure how to fix and repair things and get a sense of satisfaction from it. Sometimes I am into something and I can't figure out. I think of him and then get that, I know can't is not in the dictionary figure it out. I am truly grateful for all that he taught me but most of all to try things and to persevre

Andrew Joiner
02-28-2018, 12:03 PM
My Dad was not to advanced with tools or making things. He taught me some basics.

I think in the 30s and 40s when he was leaving the farm the future was in white collar professions(at least to him). He was a salesman and went to college, all of his brothers stayed in blue collar jobs. When dad would do any "hands on work" like paint the house or mow the lawn he'd wear matching khaki or dark blue pleated pants and shirt, like a uniform!

Outdoorsmen skills were a hobby to be nurtured. As he saw that my tool skills and desire to create grew, it probably frustrated him. I'm sure he wanted me to be a white collar professional. He finally showed pride when as a cabinetmaker/landlord I had more money than my sister who had her own law firm.:)

Jim Becker
02-28-2018, 1:19 PM
While my dad was certainly helpful while I was growing up with my learning many things, he wasn't a "handy" man and didn't do a lot of things that I find natural and have learned on my own over the years. He certainly "did things", but only because he had to; not because he wanted to. My mother, however, was adamant about teaching both my brother and my self all those things that we needed to know to be able to cook for ourselves, sew and repair clothing and all kinds of other "home oriented" tasks. Her skills at cooking, baking, sewing, knitting, crocheting, cleaning, etc., were top notch ('still are, but her health doesn't really permit any of that stuff anymore) and I absolutely benefitted from that, being self-sufficient from college on. My brother also benefitted, especially since he's been living alone for quite a few years.