PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Bladerunner x2

marlin adams
02-27-2018, 12:20 AM
As I mention before I work on my deck and store my tools. So far I got a small drill press I have that I bought from harbor frieght, a Rigid r4516 job saw, several routers plus I am building a router table that is portable or at least easy to store. Now I do have a jigsaw but I really need a band saw and I have one in storage still in the box but I really have no place to set it up where I can mount it to something. So I been doing some research on that rockwell blade runner and decided to order one. Wondering if anyone owns one and what do you think of it.

Jim Becker
02-27-2018, 9:27 AM
I had to Google what that machine is and it appears to essentially be a jig saw "engine" mounted up-side-down in a small table. It's probably fine for jobs that a jigsaw would normally be able to do. Blade choice will be important for cut quality and care has to be taken that blade length is appropriate for the material being cut so that exposure is kept as minimal as possible for safety since the operator is directly above and near the blade.

There are very nice 10-12" bandsaws available from Rikon and others that would be a good alternative, albeit at a higher cost.

Randy Viellenave
02-27-2018, 4:59 PM
It will not replace a band saw. The blade runner is literally a jigsaw mounted upside down, and behaves just like it. I had higher expectations for it, but it does work better than mounting my jigsaw, as there is no setup time. I have found it useful for working smaller items that are easier to take to the tools than vise-versa. The overhead guide is totally required when using, as the blade deflects very easily. Since it is small and simple, I sometimes use it for length cuts on smaller pieces that I then true up on the table saw, or for little things where accuracy doesn't matter. I have not cut anything more than 3/4 thick on it, and don't think it would perform very well doing so.

marlin adams
02-27-2018, 10:03 PM
Yea Randy that was part of my thinking when I order it. I just need something I can cut small material with since I cannot find a zero clearance insert for my rigid r4516 and I do have some dang good jigsaw blades that I purchase in the past for my jigsaw I have that I can use on it. I had seen a demo of the X2 at my local lowes awhile back and I kinda like what it is capable of but I just wanted to know if someone actually had one and you have answer all the points I had :)

John McClanahan
02-27-2018, 11:11 PM
I bought the first generation Bladerunner when Menards had them on clearance and on sale. I don't use it like I thought I might, so I can't give much advice on it. Just don't expect much so you won't be disapointed. The overarm blade guide does help keep the blade running vertical. Be sure to use good blades, like the Bosch ground tooth blades.

John

Rick Potter
02-28-2018, 3:03 AM
I picked up the earlier model used, and agree with earlier replies about the blades. Discard immediatly.

I have used it several times with good results using Bosch blades. I can cut a clean, straight line with it by clamping a straight edge as a fence. I got a very straight inside cut out on a top cabinet rail for a breadboard on our kitchen.

I have also had good luck cutting sheet metal cleanly for small projects, using the proper blade.

I built a home made table for my Bosch jigsaw years ago, and find this works much better, because of the top guide, as well as having decent dust collection.

Don't use it too often, but it is nice to have. It is also good to take along when fixing up rentals for the occasional trim repair. Surprising how often you just need a little something to cut with.

Hope this helps.

PS: In your situation, working on the deck.........Perhaps you could mount it on a plywood base with a couple cleats on the bottom to match your hand rail, and clamp it on to the rail when using.

Jim Becker
02-28-2018, 8:50 AM
One thing to remember with this kind of setup is that the teeth of your blades are "upside-down" from the normal cutting direction with a hand-held jig saw, so you'll need to take that into consideration relative to tear-out on workpieces where it matters.

marlin adams
02-28-2018, 7:10 PM
Thanks for the reminder Jim about the tearout :) And no rails on the deck Rick I use a centipede 6 strut sawhorse with a 2'x4' 3/4 inch plywood as a top, but there looks like there are holes on the base of the bladerunner where I might be able to mount some 1x4s to clamp it to my plywood.

Jim Becker
02-28-2018, 7:30 PM
Be careful using the Centipede as a work surface where cutting tools are involved. They are wonderful for supporting things for (some) assembly tasks and finishing, but they tend to move/wiggle a lot just due to their nature. I have two and love them, especially at $35 each from Lowes, but I don't find them particularly steady for critical work.

marlin adams
03-01-2018, 12:55 AM
Be careful using the Centipede as a work surface where cutting tools are involved. They are wonderful for supporting things for (some) assembly tasks and finishing, but they tend to move/wiggle a lot just due to their nature. I have two and love them, especially at $35 each from Lowes, but I don't find them particularly steady for critical work.

I found that early on and it came with 4 x-cups and I bought 2 more https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51cZSKlJvPL._SX522_.jpg I laid some 2x4s down in them and screwd the 2'x4' sheet of 3/4 inch plywood onto the 2x4s and now seems pretty sturdy. I clamp my small drillpress on it and also cut lumber and panels on it with my electric hand saw and very little movement. I even used my 12 and 10inch miter saw on it with no problems.