PDA

View Full Version : Picture Slides to digital?

Alan Tolchinsky
11-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Hi All, I just came across a lot of 35MM slides that I took a long time ago. I was wondering if there's a good way of converting them into a digital pic that I can store on a CD? I have a digital camera and I think I can find the slide projector if that helps. Any ideas greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Andy Hoyt
11-12-2005, 10:42 AM
I bought a new Epson scanner earlier this year. One feature it has that I really liked (athough I've not yet tried) is that it can scan slides and negatives by holding it in a small compartment built into the lid. Cost about a 100 bucks as I recall.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Alan....3 years ago I had a computer built for my wife. She scanned in over 1200 photos.....created a video using those photos and stored the photos on CDs and DVDs. As stated by Andy, you can buy scanners that have the capability of scanning photos, slides...IIRC you can find some that scan 35mm negatives. Once on your computer you can edit the photos, touch them up....and store them to CDs and DVDs.

Matt Meiser
11-12-2005, 10:53 AM
You might check with a local photo shop as well. They may be able to scan them for you. Scanning can be a lot of tedious work.

Lee DeRaud
11-12-2005, 10:59 AM
I have a Minolta slide scanner for that purpose: yields about a 6MP image from 35mm slides. Much higher quality than I've seen from any of the built-in slide adapter units on flatbed scanners, plus quite a bit more convenient to use: there's a plastic magazine that loads four slides at a time, another that takes a strip of six negatives.

Got it two years ago to scan about 800 slides from my father going back 50+ years. Only issue is, it takes roughly 2 minutes per slide. Doesn't sound like much, but it adds up when you multiply it by hundreds. At least the scanner sequences through a magazine-full automatically, so you only have to "feed" it every 8 minutes or so. Spent most of that fall watching football and running slides through in batches of 50-75.

Only other viable option for large quantities is to send them to a scanning service.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-12-2005, 5:47 PM
I'm going to check the scanning services and see if I want to go that route. And then I need to count all my slides to see which way to go, ie. do it my self or send it out. I really appreciate all the good advise given here. Alan

Jerry Olexa
11-16-2005, 8:57 PM
Ken and Lee have it right! I too have a dedicated film scanner that will also do slides . You edit internally before you scan. The results are outstanding!! The only drawback is the amount of time it takes to edit and scan each slide. But once in the PC, you can do many things with them: slide show, CD, DVD, Prints, DVD, etc.