PDA

View Full Version : Power Feeders

Richard Wolf
11-12-2005, 8:06 AM
I'm looking to purchase a power feeder to use mostly on a 5hp shaper. I'm not sure what size I need to run lenghts of rails. Is 1/2 hp enough? Is 1 hp overkill? I was looking at Grizzly and price is not a real concern between the two. Any help?

Richard

Paul B. Cresti
11-12-2005, 8:41 AM
Richard,
Get the biggest you can. I have a Steff 2048 3ph unit I think it is a 1hp. It has four rollers and has around 8 speeds forward and reverse. I would suggest four rollers minimum so you can have two before and after the cutter. Variable speed is also great to have as you have control depending on your cutter size.

Steve Clardy
11-12-2005, 9:24 AM
I have a grizzly 1/4 hp 6-speed for my shaper and table saw.
Low speed is still too fast for my comfort zone doing hand rails.

tod evans
11-12-2005, 10:39 AM
as paul said, four wheels and 1hp. you`ll find yourself removing one wheel quite often so you can crowd the cutter, 2-before, 1-after, cutter spinning where the wheel was removed. there are two big players in the feeder mkt. maggi/steff and co-matic, one euro, the other taiwan. your delta/griz/powermatic/sunhill/etc are all made by co-matic with different color paint and the matching price. no matter what you choose you won`t regret the purchase, powerfeeders are fantastic!! tod

Charlie Plesums
11-12-2005, 12:00 PM
I have a 1/2 hp steff, and to my amazement, I sometimes wish for more. I would go 1 hp minimum, especially with the small difference in Grizzly's price. Be sure it is reversible, and works over a very wide speed range. For example, I want a slow cut for a large moulding, but a much faster cut with small pieces (so they don't burn).

Mine is on a cart so I can use it on both the shaper and the jointer, although the cart makes it harder to get it stable so it can be very near the cutter.

lou sansone
11-12-2005, 12:44 PM
Richard,
Get the biggest you can. I have a Steff 2048 3ph unit I think it is a 1hp. It has four rollers and has around 8 speeds forward and reverse. I would suggest four rollers minimum so you can have two before and after the cutter. Variable speed is also great to have as you have control depending on your cutter size.

I agree with paul... looked at the chiwian units and went for the steff 1 hp 3 phase . very happy with it
lou

Ian Barley
11-12-2005, 1:27 PM
I would reiterate bigger the better. You are presumably pulling some long sections over some large cutters - 1hp will not be overkill.

Richard Wolf
11-12-2005, 5:33 PM
Okay, so is the Steff much better than Grizzly, boy isn't that the same old same old? And anybody have a web site for Steff?

Richard

Paul Canaris
11-12-2005, 6:13 PM
Laguna is a Steff dealer, that's where I got mine. Steff is considered by many to be the best. I got a 1 hp 3 phase, 8 speed.

Paul Canaris
11-12-2005, 6:13 PM
Laguna is a Steff dealer, that's where I got mine. Steff is considered by many to be the best. I got a 1 hp 3 phase, 8 speed.

Philip Glover
11-12-2005, 8:26 PM
Richard,
You can also check Univer power feeders at Simantec - http://www.simantechinc.com/
They are in Lynnwood, NY. This is a very good place to buy Tersa cutters as well.

Phil Glover

Philip Glover
11-12-2005, 8:36 PM
Correction - it's Lynbrook, NY.
Sorry for the confusion.

Phil Glover