PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive 4" Dust Collection Hose? Prefer clear flex hose

Patrick Irish
02-26-2018, 12:37 PM
I'm in a 2 car garage, cramped with a 8" jointer, unisaw, and 1200lb 16" powermatic planer. I can't really run duct so I'm looking for good 4" flexible hose.

I got a quote from Flexhuast, their md thane line, wow, $11 a foot. They wanted $550+ for 50ft roll.

I saw amazon has some PSI brand but reviews say it's very thin. My planer can make some chips and I don't wanna rip a hole it in.

Any suggestions for some good clear 4" flex hose for a dust collection?

Thanks!

Nick Shattuck
02-26-2018, 12:50 PM
Unless you are sucking up shards of glass, don't be afraid to go with the PSI hose... it's not THAT thin. In fact, I prefer it to the thicker stuff and use it all over my shop for runs from the duct to the tool. The trade-off is that PSI hose will contract when being used, so some of the suction power is being lost doing this and therefore this hose isn't near as efficient as the more rigid kind. Also the contraction makes the inside of the hose full of ridges causing more air turbulence and again, decreasing the efficiency of your system.

Again, it's a trade-off but for the price difference, I'd go with PSI.

Jim Becker
02-26-2018, 12:53 PM
I just bought some from Amazon for my CNC drop. It's a nice product for the money.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VRVGUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Keith Outten
02-26-2018, 3:36 PM
Call Wynn Environmental, they have the hose you need at good prices. Nice folks that will help you make the right decision.

Patrick Cosentino
02-26-2018, 4:27 PM
I just bought some from Amazon for my CNC drop. It's a nice product for the money.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VRVGUA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just got 5" and 4" hoses of the same (Powertec) , I was impressed with the quality for the price.

Jim Becker
02-26-2018, 6:29 PM
Just got 5" and 4" hoses of the same (Powertec) , I was impressed with the quality for the price.
Yes, they are soft and flexible...and very reasonably priced. I got a 5" awhile back when I was reconstructing my miter saw station and decided to get the 4" a few weeks ago as part of my prep for the CNC. Only my router table and bandsaw use 4" drops to-date, but that's what's appropriate for the CNC and what I have ready overhead for that new machine.

glenn bradley
02-26-2018, 7:31 PM
The PSI stuff is super flexible and therefor super useless under suction. Woodcraft sells some level of Flexaust for $4 a foot. I get theirs and Rocklers when it goes on sale at half off; never hurts to have a new section in the rafters just in case. The Powertec shown isn't much over that.

Patrick Irish
02-26-2018, 8:43 PM
The PSI stuff is super flexible and therefor super useless under suction. Woodcraft sells some level of Flexaust for $4 a foot. I get theirs and Rocklers when it goes on sale at half off; never hurts to have a new section in the rafters just in case. The Powertec shown isn't much over that.

The powertec stuff isn't much over the PSI? I was reading reviews on the powertec which are mainly good BUT they did state that the whatever length you get, it's really about 3/4 that length because it will collapse a little.

Patrick Cosentino
02-27-2018, 8:53 AM
The powertec stuff isn't much over the PSI? I was reading reviews on the powertec which are mainly good BUT they did state that the whatever length you get, it's really about 3/4 that length because it will collapse a little.

If you order 10' , you'll get 10' , but you'll have to bolt one end down and pull with all your might on the other end to get that 10'.

my 10' section came in a 4' rectangular box , nicely collapsed .
It probably sits around 6-7 feet on the floor , and easily stretches out to 9ish feet.

The reviews also stated there was a strong plasticy smell , but both separate shipments i've gotten were stink free
I've only ordered those 2 from powertec , so not sure if the length issue is the industry standard for sizing or not.

Jaromir Svoboda
03-01-2018, 9:12 PM
I just got one from Rockler today. It was on sale for $24.99.

Curt Harms
03-02-2018, 8:05 AM
Call Wynn Environmental, they have the hose you need at good prices. Nice folks that will help you make the right decision.

+1 on Wynn. I bought some 6" from them along with a filter. I may be nuts but the Wynn hose feels smoother inside than the other 6" hose I have bought from PSI(?). Flex hose will cost performance no question but sometimes there isn't a practical alternative. I don't know about their shipping, they're just down the road from me.