PDA

View Full Version : Red Oxide Primer Search: Is the magic juice Glyptal related?

Dev Emch
11-12-2005, 1:04 AM
O.K. I have seen two machine tools in which the interior was finished off with a really cool looking red oxide type paint. Both were expensive, metal working machines from the US machine tools heyday. A Kearney Trecker and an American Pacemaker.

So, what is this stuff? I know there are some chemical wizards on this site as well. Could this be a type of Glyptal primer of sorts? Maybe G7635?

This may be the ideal base coat for repainting woodworking machines.

Randy Meijer
11-12-2005, 2:31 AM
Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Yeah, but his eyes would have turned brown!!:D

CPeter James
11-12-2005, 6:41 AM
I think that it is a type of Glyptal, but the feeling on another forum I visit is that repainting inside gearboxes, etc is probably not a good idea as the oil soaked castings won't hold the paint. BTW, that photo looks like tha back door on my Clausing lathe. Just what is it?

CPeter

Bill Simmeth
11-12-2005, 7:57 AM
Whatever the machine is, it is/was for sale. The picture has the little eBay picture watermark in the lower right corner. It also looks like the primer was sprayed with the belts on as I can see some overspray on them. That would make me a little leery of the quality of the machine's rebuild. I'd at least look a little deeper I guess. I, too, would love to know what it is. I don't see a lathe bed and it has a real assortment of hand wheels along its axis! Sorry, Dev, other than noting some of the primer was sprayed after assembly, I can't help on ID'ing the type of primer.

Dev Emch
11-13-2005, 1:41 AM
For those who must know.... this is my dream machine. Usually, this outfit is pretty darn good at finding stuff from the DOD that has not been rusted and is pretty darn nice shape.

This is the back door of the finest engine lathe every made. Its an American Pacemaker. If there is a way to get this thing moved, I know where it is going:D The down side is that it must weigh about 8000 pounds. Its also got a 19 inch swing and over 60 inches between centers. Would be nice to find one a bit smaller. The headstock alone weighs more than most cars. There were many lathes made and some were absolute gems. Companies like Monarch and LeBlond made some extremely nice lathes. In fact, the LeBlond lathe was used to manufacture the Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engine used in the Spitfire. So you know its good. This lathe is several orders of magnitude superior to that LeBlond! I WANT THIS LATHE!!!!!! Now how to get the female contingent to sign on?

I saw the exact same interior finish on my kearney trecker 2CH milling machine.