PDA

View Full Version : Oneida dust drum liner problem

Jaromir Svoboda
02-24-2018, 5:54 PM
I installed drum liner and this is what happened, why?

Thank you.

Kevin Jenness
02-24-2018, 6:10 PM
There is a leak in the system between the drum and the filter, maybe in the drum itself,and judging by the shape of the liner I would guess a pretty big one. You can track it down with an incense stick or similar smoke generator. The cone and drum need to be very tight to keep the coarse chips from winding up in the filter.

Jaromir Svoboda
02-25-2018, 11:58 AM
It's all brand new system so I guess the drum and lid should be airtight.
I cannot find any leaks anywhere.
When I turn it on it will lift drum 2 inches from the ground.

Jaromir Svoboda
02-25-2018, 12:04 PM
It's all brand new system, so I guess lid and drum should be airtight. I double check everything and I cannot find any leaks.
When I turn it on it will lift drum 2 inches from the ground.

Kevin Jenness
02-25-2018, 12:05 PM
There is almost surely a leak. My system had enough of a seal to lift the drum but still had enough leaks in various spots to allow for excess blowby of coarse material as shown in the photo of your filter pan. Keep looking.

Jaromir Svoboda
02-25-2018, 12:20 PM
Drum off the ground there's no issue?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2018, 12:34 PM
The lifting off the ground is normal until enough dust fills the drum resulting in enough weight to overcome the vacuum produced by the impeller moving air.

The way a cyclone dust collector works is as follows. The motor turns the impeller pulling air through the blades of the impeller and towards the filter, creating a vacuum at the dc runs. The dust is picked and pulled into the chamber where it drops down to enter the center pipe inside the cone. Air then reverses direction to enter the center pipe, it loses velocity and the ability to carry dust decreases dramatically. Gravity takes over and the dust drops into the drum UNLESS there is an air leak in the drum or the connecting tubing to the cone. Any air leaks in the drum, tubing or connections connecting the drum to the cone will result in air flow upwards at a higher velocity than normal (since it doesn't have to reverse direction) carrying the dust through the impeller and on to the filter.

Are you using a cardboard drum? I have a 3HP Oneida Super Dust Gorilla with a cardboard drum and I had air leaks resulting in dust getting to the filter. I used silicon caulk and sealed the metal rims at both ends of the drum and it decreased the air leaks which resulted in less dust getting sent to the filter.

Jaromir Svoboda
02-25-2018, 1:37 PM
Yes, I am using cardboard drum. It's 5 hp Gorilla pro.
I'll take closer look to drum.

Thank you.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2018, 1:41 PM
BTW... I wouldn't hesitate to contact Oneida about your issues.

Is your drum the smaller drum? If so, you might just try sitting the drum on a heavy garbage/yard bag and pulling the bag up around the sides and over the rim of the drum. You wouldn't have to seal the bag as long as it stays over the rim. If that stops the collapsing, you know the leaks are within the drum. Then you could worry about sealing the leaks in the drum.

Jaromir Svoboda
02-25-2018, 3:54 PM
I send them email yesterday.
I'm using 55 gallon drum, trash bag go over rim.
There's weather stripping inside lid where it meets drum.
It's Oneida drum and lid.
I also caulk seems on drum like you suggested. I'll let it dry overnight and try tomorrow.
Thank you.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-25-2018, 4:09 PM
When you try it, since you have caulked the drum seams, also use some kind of tape over the clamp that clamps the lid to the drum. While there is weather stripping under the clamp, that doesn't guarantee you are getting a perfect seal between the lid and the drum lip. Use duct tape to seal that junction just for test purposes.

Jim Becker
02-25-2018, 8:51 PM
Doesn't the plastic bag get folded over the drum liner inside of the drum so that the bin lid is tight to the bin? The liner is just there to support the bag so that it doesn't collapse before getting filled with stuff. Hanging anything over that rim could easily cause a leak. The compression closure of the lid to the bin is very, very precise.

Michael Stockdale
02-26-2018, 2:37 PM
So... I have pretty much the same system, and I fought the exact same problems for months! I have given up on bags within the drum. I just leave the bags out and empty the drum when it gets full. System works great!

I think those who suggested that vacuum leaks were the bag is folded over are the source of the leak. I went so far as to take a caulking tube of black silicone (from the auto parts store) and seal every seam in the drum... I am satisfied that the drum is not leaking! Which leaves the folds in the top of the bag that are the issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

George Bokros
02-26-2018, 4:08 PM
I tried the same thing and had no luck either. I even had a plastic sleeve inside the bag and my dust collector sucked the sleeve inward also. I think if you had a sleeve that fit the circumference of the drum but was a little shorter than the drum folded the plastic bag over the top edge then had another sleeve inside the bag that was a perfect fit inside the other sleeve then the lid would seal to the drum it could work.

I even pop riveted my sleeve together to keep it rigid and it did not work. My sleeve was one of those plastic sleeves you use to make a garbage bag stand up to put leaves in in the fall.

Ben Rivel
02-26-2018, 4:44 PM
Interesting. Ive had zero issues with the drum liner in my 35gal steel drum with my V-3000. I always use a bag in the drum too. Have you called Oneida and told them about it to see if they have any suggestions?

George Bokros
02-26-2018, 6:00 PM
Ben, I would be interested in seeing how you have the garbage bag liner in your drum and how you keep it from being sucked inward the the dust collector. V-3000, what brane duct collector is that?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-26-2018, 6:15 PM
George, the "V" systems are Oneida DCs too.

George Bokros
02-26-2018, 6:30 PM
Thanks Ken.

Barry Block
02-26-2018, 9:32 PM
Good luck with your problem. On a side note a cut piece of formica rolled up works really well as a drum liner.

Jaromir Svoboda
02-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Interesting. Ive had zero issues with the drum liner in my 35gal steel drum with my V-3000. I always use a bag in the drum too. Have you called Oneida and told them about it to see if they have any suggestions?

I emailed Oneida, they told me I have a leak between lid and drum. I did't have time to check again.

Ben Rivel
02-27-2018, 11:36 AM
Ben, I would be interested in seeing how you have the garbage bag liner in your drum and how you keep it from being sucked inward the the dust collector. V-3000, what brane duct collector is that?
Yes as Ken said the V-3000 is an Oneida dust collector. I can try and snap a pic when I'm home later, but mine is setup exactly as shown on the drum liners webpage: LINK (https://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?Item_No=ABX000035&CatId={E73B4361-F6D4-44D5-A815-E35ECB580382}) or in the Oneida documentation: LINK (https://www.oneida-air.com/pdf/bag-liner-instructions-2016.pdf)
On the second page of that document it talks about how to fix the leak that's probably causing your issue.

Randy Heinemann
02-27-2018, 12:06 PM
I have a V1500 and use a the drum liner collar so that I can merely remove the plastic bag when full. However, I have had similar problems. I can tell you what Oneida's answer will be. The system is designed to be completely sealed and there is a leak somewhere in the system. It may be a tiny leak but a leak nonetheless.
If you look under documents under the liner (collar) section on Oneida's website, there is an instructions sheet which addresses the issue of a collapsing collar. Finding the actual source of the leak is another matter however. The following are the most likely possibilities:

1. When installing the collar inside of a plastic bag make sure there are no creases in the bag along the top of the drum. These might not seem important but even one crease can allow a tiny amount of air into the drum and that is truly all it takes. Even a tiny amount of air coming in will eventually collapse the collar. I personally think this is the most likely source because the collapsing collar problem is sporadic for me so any other leak would generate the collapse every time not just once in awhile.

2. When sliding the collar into the drum inside of the bag, make every attempt to get all air out from underneath the bag so that it is flat against the bottom of the drum. Again, I think this is really important.

3. When reinstalling the drum lid, be sure that it is truly sealed all the way around. Important, but if the lid is settled on the rim and clamp is tightly shut it shouldn't leak. I also make sure that I put a screw with a nut thought the locking part of the drum lid clamp to make sure it doesn't come loose.

4. Check the connections between the cyclone section and the hose as well as the hose connection to the drum. It most likely isn't this if the clamps are tight but it's worth a shot.

5. If you have Oneida's strobe "full drum" light installed, there are other places leaks can occur. Since it requires a hole to be drilled in the lid to install it is prone to leaking. Oneida has recently sent a gasket that can be installed to avoid this but, since my collar stopped collapsing the last 2 times, I decided to wait to install that.

6. Is the cup under the filter full like that when you open it or after you have blown out the filter or knocked the dust out internally? If it that way before blowing out the filter, then it is clear there is a leak somewhere. When reinstalling the cup, make sure the clamps are secure, but they don't have to be cranked down real tight; just so they seal.

As a summary, I would say that, even if you get the problem solved once, it's very possible that the next time you empty the drum and put it all back together the leak will again be there (which is why I think it is how the bag is installed around the rim which is the leak source). It's a touchy thing and a clear downside to their systems. It's almost easier to dump the barrel each time rather than use a bag (even thought the leak would still be there; just not so important).

While I have used Oneida dust collectors for 25 years, I feel they really fell down on the job providing support on this problem for me. One thing they will suggest is to turn off other equipment that will cause air movement and bring something that gives off some smoke around all the seams. If the smoke is drawn to a particular point, that is where at least one leak is.

Peter Christensen
02-27-2018, 12:36 PM
Try without the bag. If you still get clogged filters it is a leak someplace. If the filters stay clean then it is the bag to lid seal issue. Get a bag big enough to put over the barrel and invert it to fill the bag.

Bernie May
02-27-2018, 8:48 PM
Oneida sells a vaccum pump that can suck the air between the bag and the drum. This is very helpful when a new bag is installed. I leave it on all the time; it comes on when the cyclone is turned on. I also put some weights on the drum to stop it from being lifted up with a new bag until even shavings get in the bag.

Jaromir Svoboda
02-28-2018, 7:29 AM
I'm not going to use the bags. I checked for leaks yesterday with smoke and I couldn't find any without bag. It sounds like too much trouble using bags.
I probably should do more research before I spend $60 on liner.
Thank you all for your help.

Hoang N Nguyen
02-28-2018, 2:56 PM
I'm not sure if this was brought up but I believe the issue you're having is due to a leak between the drum and lid. This will happen when you place a bag inside the drum with the extra hanging over the side of the drum. The uneven folds of the bag will create small tiny leaks all around the rim of the bin and will cause your drum liner to collapse. I had the same thing happen to me when I had my Oneida portable dust gorilla. The bin for that DC was held to the lid using just 4 clamps leaving the rest of the rim unsupported. I couldn't get it to work and after having the drum liner collapse about a dozen times, I gave up and stopped using the bags.

I now have an Oneida V3000 and the drum and lid are held in together by a solid ring clamp that covers the entire rim of the drum. The clamp also has a foam gasket on it to further help seal leaks. I'm using the bags with drum liner now with no issues, even with the extra length of the bags overhanging the rim of the drum.

Travis Porter
02-28-2018, 5:35 PM
So... I have pretty much the same system, and I fought the exact same problems for months! I have given up on bags within the drum. I just leave the bags out and empty the drum when it gets full. System works great!

I think those who suggested that vacuum leaks were the bag is folded over are the source of the leak. I went so far as to take a caulking tube of black silicone (from the auto parts store) and seal every seam in the drum... I am satisfied that the drum is not leaking! Which leaves the folds in the top of the bag that are the issue. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

I had the same issue and the same solution. I did away with the bags in the drum. Maybe the vacuum pump hose came loose, maybe I didn't have the bag around the rim good, all I know for sure is that I got tired of clogging up my filter and having to clean it out with my leaf blower. I instead got the bin full sensor and it is a pleasant improvement.

sean meltvedt
02-28-2018, 10:34 PM
Oneida sells a vaccum pump that can suck the air between the bag and the drum. This is very helpful when a new bag is installed. I leave it on all the time; it comes on when the cyclone is turned on. I also put some weights on the drum to stop it from being lifted up with a new bag until even shavings get in the bag.

Bernie is spot on. I too use bags that are wrapped over the top of the drum under the lid. No bag holder is necessary with the pump. I put the suction end to the bottom of the drum, and the discharge end to the inlet of the cyclone. The pump comes on with the cyclone, and is protected with a 10a 2 pole breaker. This is similar to the pump I’m using. https://www.ebay.com/itm/18w-38L-min-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Air-Pump-Oxygen-Aquaponics-Hydroponics-Pond-220V/142610658681?hash=item213441f579:g:IP4AAOSwUMxaIka f