PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Ole Anderson
02-24-2018, 9:37 AM
Am I the only one that sees certain subjects and just skips by them? Not out of lack of interest, but they just make my eye twitch. For me triggers are Festool and PVC duct. What are your triggers?

Yonak Hawkins
02-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Mine is : "Here's a video of my project build."

Alan Rutherford
02-24-2018, 10:34 AM
Mine is : "Here's a video of my project build."

Agreed. "Pictures or it didn't happen" doesn't mean I want to watch a movie.

Tom Giles
02-24-2018, 10:47 AM
Any thread that has Festool or cutting board in the title.

Jerome Stanek
02-24-2018, 10:51 AM
Festool and Sawstop for me

Peter Kelly
02-24-2018, 10:53 AM
Am I the only one that sees certain subjects and just skips by them? Not out of lack of interest, but they just make my eye twitch. For me triggers are Festool and PVC duct. What are your triggers?That's interesting, are you saying that normally you'd read all of the threads otherwise? I tend to just look at the handful of ones I think I can contribute to.

PVC duct and Sawstop are certainly not in that category.

glenn bradley
02-24-2018, 11:03 AM
Disclaimer: No offense and I truly mean that Ole. I always appreciate your contributions and insights on things. The following is about the subject being discussed and is not a snipe at anyone.

I tend to skip by those threads with fairly non-descriptive titles. Titles like "Check this out", "Holy Cow", "Would you ever", and so forth often get passed by. I am recovering from eye surgery and am extremely bored or I would have passed up "Am I the Only One?" as well. During my re-coop, I can't tell you how much good content I have found that would otherwise have been lost to me simply because the thread title was something like "What do you think?".

I should include that I also skip any threads I don't think I can add value to or get value from; turning or CNC threads are an example as I don't turn nor care much about CNC right now. The point is that I have no idea if "One of Those Days" has anything in it I could add value to or get value from and I'm not inclined to open every randomly titled thread to see what the heck the person is talking about. Not to mention they are pretty worthless when searching for the topic being discussed ;)

Now having said all that I will surly find some thread of my own that had some title like "How about this?". Non-descriptive thread titles, in part, may be the result of things like Facebook where people visit 7 times a day and are steeped in the conversation over time. I think of a forum (and that doesn't make me right) as an informational archive. This is where people will search for info on a drum sander technique or a tablesaw jig literally years after the thread has gone idle. A really cool router jig in a thread with a title like "Its Me Again" died the moment people stopped actively posting to it.

JMHO and I'm cranky from falling behind in the shop. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone :)

George Bokros
02-24-2018, 11:26 AM
I will look at members projects, threads I have an interest in, ones that I can contribute to, and ones that I can learn from.

Rich Engelhardt
02-24-2018, 11:26 AM
I guess I'm just odd. I try to at least scan everything I can in the General Forum since I have so much to learn & so little time left to learn it.

James Waldron
02-24-2018, 12:06 PM
I guess I'm just odd. I try to at least scan everything I can in the General Forum since I have so much to learn & so little time left to learn it.

The best use of limited time to learn woodworking is to work in the shop, as I see it. To me, the forum and other on-line sources can supplement and extend experience, but not replace it. Too much time on-line, in my estimation, will inhibit real learning and accomplishment. Don't be an armchair woodworker!

Mike Ontko
02-24-2018, 12:51 PM
I will look at members projects, threads I have an interest in, ones that I can contribute to, and ones that I can learn from.

This pretty much sums up my overall experience and intent. I came to SMC to read, learn, and hopefully contribute to this community of woodworkers on subjects relating, more-or-less, directly to...woodworking. Outside of that I'm not too interested in side discussions that don't relate to this craft (though admittedly I do participate in some from time to time).

Ole Anderson
02-24-2018, 4:56 PM
That's interesting, are you saying that normally you'd read all of the threads otherwise?

Heavens, no. And the only forums I scan for interesting content are "Off Topic Forum", "General Woodworking and Power Tools", and "Workshops", maybe once a month I might check out "Finishing". It is just that my "trigger" topics tend to make me moan or I am going to sound like a broken record if I chime in (as in PVC vs snapock duct). I try to contribute where I can, but now I often find that what I have to contribute has already been said, although I might second someone's opinion if it mirrors what I was going to say.

Ole Anderson
02-24-2018, 5:02 PM
Disclaimer: No offense and I truly mean that Ole. I always appreciate your contributions and insights on things. The following is about the subject being discussed and is not a snipe at anyone.

I tend to skip by those threads with fairly non-descriptive titles. Titles like "Check this out", "Holy Cow", "Would you ever", and so forth often get passed by. I am recovering from eye surgery and am extremely bored or I would have passed up "Am I the Only One?" as well. During my re-coop, I can't tell you how much good content I have found that would otherwise have been lost to me simply because the thread title was something like "What do you think?".

I should include that I also skip any threads I don't think I can add value to or get value from; turning or CNC threads are an example as I don't turn nor care much about CNC right now. The point is that I have no idea if "One of Those Days" has anything in it I could add value to or get value from and I'm not inclined to open every randomly titled thread to see what the heck the person is talking about. Not to mention they are pretty worthless when searching for the topic being discussed ;)

Now having said all that I will surly find some thread of my own that had some title like "How about this?". Non-descriptive thread titles, in part, may be the result of things like Facebook where people visit 7 times a day and are steeped in the conversation over time. I think of a forum (and that doesn't make me right) as an informational archive. This is where people will search for info on a drum sander technique or a tablesaw jig literally years after the thread has gone idle. A really cool router jig in a thread with a title like "Its Me Again" died the moment people stopped actively posting to it.

JMHO and I'm cranky from falling behind in the shop. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone :)

Ah, but the title made you look! No offense taken whatsoever! Once in a while I start a whimsical thread and use a title that is so goofy, you just have to see what it is about. Like click bait. If I pose a question, I will carefully craft the title.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-24-2018, 5:57 PM
Sawstop..... Any time that subject comes up, there will be heated arguments. Too many people in this country don't understand the difference between the meaning of the words, "discussion, debate and preaching". Two of those three words result in a winner and a loser.

Frederick Skelly
02-24-2018, 6:58 PM
Threads that rehash something we've gone over a number of times before. Examples: which track saw, Sawstop, hand tool sharpening and many new member questions. (I know that's often how folks find us but I've stopped reading them). I've probably authored a few rehash threads myself. :D:o:o:o

Things I don't think I will ever buy. (Disclaimer: Doesn't make them "bad". I just don't read them.) Examples: Festool, Euro WW machinery, really nice router tables, etc.

Threads that go on and on long after the horse is dead. Example: The Glowforge thread is 2 yrs old and has 1600+ replies. I don't think either side in that argument is convincing the other. :D :D :D

Guess I'm getting to be a curmudgeon ......

John Lanciani
02-24-2018, 7:34 PM
All capital letters or more than one question mark or exclamation point in a row in the title tell me that I need to move along.

Mark Blatter
02-24-2018, 7:38 PM
Heavens, no. And the only forums I scan for interesting content are "Off Topic Forum", "General Woodworking and Power Tools", and "Workshops", maybe once a month I might check out "Finishing". It is just that my "trigger" topics tend to make me moan or I am going to sound like a broken record if I chime in (as in PVC vs snapock duct). I try to contribute where I can, but now I often find that what I have to contribute has already been said, although I might second someone's opinion if it mirrors what I was going to say.

Well there you go. Those are the same forums I look at. Maybe once every few months I will look at finishing or projects, but not much else. I find myself getting bored by most things anymore, bored really easily. Just don't have the patience for many things any more.

James Pallas
02-24-2018, 7:58 PM
I tend to pass up on anything that has the words sharp or metal and any derivatives there of :)
Jim

Larry Frank
02-24-2018, 8:23 PM
I avoid the sharpening threads where there are so many experts.

John K Jordan
02-24-2018, 9:31 PM
I check
- any replies to threads I've posted in,
- most threads in Turning,
then scan down the list of new posts for anything that catches my eye. I always take a look at anything new posted in carving, musical instruments, metalworking, and a couple of other specialty forums.

Threads I usually skip:
- those from CNC and Engraving
- about hand tool sharpening
- with a title like "CompanyName xy256" with just the model number of some machine I don't recognize
- with a title like "I need assistance" with no hint of the problem (unless they are in Turning)
- new threads with dozens of messages - to much to read
- how do I price _____?
- what's the best _____? (without clarifying the intended use)

Robert Cherry
02-25-2018, 12:34 AM
For me it’s the “what kind of wood is this” threads.

Edwin Santos
02-25-2018, 5:12 AM
The best use of limited time to learn woodworking is to work in the shop, as I see it. To me, the forum and other on-line sources can supplement and extend experience, but not replace it. Too much time on-line, in my estimation, will inhibit real learning and accomplishment. Don't be an armchair woodworker!

This is some excellent advice!

Jim Becker
02-25-2018, 10:48 AM
It's a normal thing for each of us to visit those forum areas that interest us most and open/read threads that appear also be interesting or applicable to what we do in our shops. I do read a lot of threads that are "not my cup of tea", but that's because of my moderation "job". My own, personal interests are generally served in GW&PT, Workshops, OT, Finishing, Woodworking (finished) Projects and CNC.

Bill Dufour
02-28-2018, 9:09 PM
I like to see the old threads get revived. Not the what table saw is best but the ones about what handtool is best as five years late the top tools may no longer be even made and new one shave come into being. Some nice tools are no longer made in the USA and is the China version any better then the no name ones for 1/4 the price.
many craftsman wrenches are now made in china and just feel cheap. While the made in Mexico stuff is okay for now. But honestly the made in china stuff from harbor Freight is as good or better then a lot of the sears craftsman made in China stuff today. Ten years ago not that way all.
I also like when people add to old threads about fixing stuff because people still have the old stuff and it still breaks and needs to be repaired the same way.

Edwin Santos
03-01-2018, 5:40 PM
If we're talking pet peeves here...
Maybe it's just me being OCD, but I find it annoying how so many people seem to disregard the original poster's question when they give answers and advice. For example, right now there is a thread on the general forum where the guy asked his question in bold "How do I cut small parts on a SCMS that cannot be easily held" and answers range from "do it on a table saw with a crosscut sled" to "go get a backsaw and miter box".

Another similar recent one was where a guy asked how to perform an operation with the doweling jig he already owns, and he was told to go buy a Festool Domino.

Edwin

Like I say, maybe it's just me.

John Sanford
03-05-2018, 5:13 PM
They don't make my eye twitch, but I'm not interested in CNC. I do wish that the New Posts functionality had a way of including/excluding certain forums.

John K Jordan
03-05-2018, 7:10 PM
They don't make my eye twitch, but I'm not interested in CNC. I do wish that the New Posts functionality had a way of including/excluding certain forums.

Thomas Banks wrote instructions on how to do this on 8/8/2016:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can filter the new posts. I have a link set up like this:

NOTE: I put a space in the “https” so that it would show the URL as text and not as a link. As a link, it shortens them and you don’t see the full text.
ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&excl ude=8,12,3,20,4,43,42,57,23,13,38,35,17,34,0

If you look at the links for the various sections, they’re all like this:

ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?7-Forum-Tech-Support
ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?39-Lumber-Yard

That number in red is what you use to exclude a forum. Just use the numbers of the forums you wish to exclude from your search (such as Engraving, as you mention) and the link will search only the forums you frequent for new posts.

ht tps://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?8-Engravers-Forum

You can also change “exclude” to “include” and put the numbers in for the forums that you want to see, but then if Keith happens to add a forum you won’t see it. If you use “exclude” you’ll see posts from any new forums - until you decide you want to exclude it as well.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Dufour
03-06-2018, 12:29 AM
You could be.
Bill D

Mike Cutler
03-06-2018, 7:05 PM
"What species of wood is this?" Threads.

I always get them wrong?:o

Larry McCollum
03-08-2018, 8:32 AM
How 'bout a new thread titled Curmudgeos Unite! Since most curmudgeons are like me, 60+ years old, the thread will be self limiting as time goes by...

Yonak Hawkins
03-13-2018, 12:49 AM
I tend to skip by those threads with fairly non-descriptive titles. Titles like "Check this out", "Holy Cow", "Would you ever", and so forth often get passed by.

glenn, I have adopted this tack, not looking at threads with titles such as : "Suggestions Needed," and "What Would You Do?" opting for more descriptive thread titles, where I have a better idea of what it's about before opening it. I find I have trimmed my time reviewing posts quite a bit and I can move on quicker. Thank you.

John K Jordan
03-13-2018, 6:13 AM
I tend to skip by those threads with fairly non-descriptive titles. Titles like "Check this out", "Holy Cow", "Would you ever", and so forth often get passed by.

glenn, I have adopted this tack, not looking at threads with titles such as : "Suggestions Needed," and "What Would You Do?" opting for more descriptive thread titles, where I have a better idea of what it's about before opening it. I find I have trimmed my time reviewing posts quite a bit and I can move on quicker. Thank you.

Yet we all read the message "Am I the only one?" :)

I should add that I'm more likely to at least glance at an obscurely titled message in "Off Topic" than in General!
Well, depending on my mood. And whether hay needs hauling or a log needs sawing.

JKJ

Larry Edgerton
03-13-2018, 6:29 AM
Threads that have vague titles, like this one. Would not have opened this one if the curser had not accidentally come to rest on it so I could read the first sentence.

Ole Anderson
03-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Threads that have vague titles, like this one. Would not have opened this one if the curser had not accidentally come to rest on it so I could read the first sentence.

Accidentally, ok Larry, haha...

I do like the feature that lets you hover over a thread title to let you see the content. Very useful.

BTW, I almost feel compelled to apologize for using a click bait style title, you know, a title that you just have to click on to see what do they really mean. But what is the fun in that???

andrew whicker
03-14-2018, 11:28 AM
Safety threads bring out the worst in everyone.

Mike Cary
03-19-2018, 1:58 PM
If I see a simple question like “is it okay to use my tracksaw to cut plywood?” And there are 57 replies, yeah, I’m not going in there.

Yonak Hawkins
03-19-2018, 2:27 PM
OK, I have to admit I was swayed by the title : "Yes, I am an idiot." I assumed I would identify.

Lee DeRaud
03-20-2018, 8:12 PM
Sawstop..... Any time that subject comes up, there will be heated arguments. Too many people in this country don't understand the difference between the meaning of the words, "discussion, debate and preaching". Two of those three words result in a winner and a loser.And the third results in two losers. :)

'Sawstop' is the new 'EZGuide'.