PDA

View Full Version : Kundig edgesander

Eric Wing
02-23-2018, 8:33 PM
Any one have a kundig edgesander and are they worth the money
looking to replace a older edgesander with kundig it will be used for mainly sanding cabinet
'door edges

John Sincerbeaux
02-23-2018, 8:59 PM
I do... Uniq. Its a beast!
Fit and finish is on par with Martin machinery.
There is nothing I produce that doesn’t touch this machine.

Eric Wing
02-23-2018, 9:23 PM
Do you have the standard unique or s

John Sincerbeaux
02-23-2018, 9:37 PM
I have the standard. I would think the “S” would be better for doing cabinet doors.

Eric Wing
02-23-2018, 9:44 PM
Do you use the jointing side and how accurate is it,can you run small parts like the ends of 5"wide drawer fronts

Martin Wasner
02-24-2018, 7:32 AM
If you're just edge sanding doors, I'd look for something solid and older.

James Biddle
02-24-2018, 9:00 AM
We've got one on order. I think it should be plenty solid at 1,050 pounds for a 45" x 32" footprint. For us, being able to remove a fixed amount per pass is a feature we look forward to having. It should make fitting inset doors a breeze.

John Kee
02-24-2018, 9:33 AM
Unfortunately this experience would be on my mind. Be interesting to hear your experience James.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?255385-Kundig-Uniq-Sander-Disaster

Eric Wing
02-24-2018, 1:52 PM
James did you get the uniqu s

J.R. Rutter
02-24-2018, 2:05 PM
Do you use the jointing side and how accurate is it,can you run small parts like the ends of 5"wide drawer fronts

I have the old Samco / SCMI Unilev sander that is very similar. We feed through drawer faces on the jointing fence side using a power feeder. It is set up to remove about 0.010" per pass with 120 grit. I would not use it for short ends though. One other thing to keep in mind is that, like any jointer, it will produce a taper if there is any glue residue that causes one end to ride away from the infeed fence. So I use the open side for doing tops and bottoms of doors and the drawer face short sides.

The Kundig looks like an all-around improvement on the Unilev, so I'm interested to hear about the narrow sanding, too.

John Sincerbeaux
02-24-2018, 3:36 PM
We've got one on order. I think it should be plenty solid at 1,050 pounds for a 45" x 32" footprint. For us, being able to remove a fixed amount per pass is a feature we look forward to having. It should make fitting inset doors a breeze.

James, you beat me to it. For a machine with this footprint at 1000 lbs. I would say its plenty “solid”.
“Old” is one thing its not.

Anthony Spotorno
02-25-2018, 12:18 AM
I have the Unique S model with the feeder. What do you need to know?

Martin Wasner
02-25-2018, 7:02 AM
James, you beat me to it. For a machine with this footprint at 1000 lbs. I would say its plenty “solid”.
“Old” is one thing its not.

An H5 weighs more than three times that.

I'm sure it's a nice edge sander, the jointer like setup is interesting, but for what they cost I'm not sure they're a very good value. Having a tiny platen is kinda useless too, so you're pretty much just getting the offset tables and enough platen for small parts.

Eric Wing
02-25-2018, 7:16 PM
Anthony
how do you like the s do you use it for sanding door edges and how well does it work for edges

Anthony Spotorno
02-28-2018, 5:39 PM
I absolutely love the machine. It has 2 sides, the veneer side fence is very adjustable and allows me to dial in the amount of sanding needed. The Uniq S model does come with a powerfeeder if you have a lot of doors to do at one time.

The dust collection is OK.

The belts were slightly unique size, but I did find a US distributor for them and orders a wide range of grits.

The oscillating spindle sander is a total bust. Several of us were unable to find sleeves at a reasonable price. They again are a VERY odd size. This was disappointing! I do curves so opted for a separate Shop Fox spindle sander with sleeves readily available.

Eric Wing
02-28-2018, 5:54 PM
Thanks for the info Anthony
i ordered the unique s today can you give me the info where you purchase your belts

Anthony Spotorno
03-01-2018, 12:20 AM
I bought the belts from:

UNEEDA
640 Chestnut Ridge Rd
Spring Valley, NY 10977
845-598- 8635
Fax: 845-426- 2810

My salesperson was Tom Esposito

Size needed 8" x 79"

Good luck with your new machine!

Martin Wasner
03-01-2018, 7:22 PM
You could probably have the spindles turned down whether metal or rubber so they would accept more standard sized sleeves

Joe Calhoon
03-01-2018, 10:10 PM
Klingspore will make sleeves of any size. The sleeves are tricky to measure. They want the length around the drum, not the diameter. They also do custom size belts. I think a lot of other mfgs do this as well.

J.R. Rutter
03-01-2018, 11:46 PM
I've gotten custom sized belts easily enough, but did not have any luck with getting sleeves. I sold my metric sized spindle attachment to a friend with the same Unilev. I don't think he had any better luck. Maybe you just need to talk to the right person in the right division. Klingspore can't seem to keep a steady person in the commercial sales position locally, so it is like starting over every year or two.

Joe Calhoon
03-02-2018, 12:25 PM
What is the spindle size on the Kundig and Unilev? When I was frustrated trying to find sleeves for my Oliver OSS I bought a sanding drum that Felder sells for their shapers. It takes sheet paper and actually works well. It has a 30mm bore and I just had Zuani make shaper type bushings to go from 30mm down to fit the 1" Oliver shaft.

Darcy Warner
07-08-2018, 8:53 PM
The OG Kundig. The Schmid