PDA

View Full Version : Doctor's Walnut Oil

Edward Weingarden
02-22-2018, 6:34 PM
Can a walnut oil finish be buffed? Does the oil eventually cure? Thanks.

David Delo
02-22-2018, 8:12 PM
Doctor's has become my favorite finish for most of my bowl work. I usually wait about 10 days to 2 weeks before buffing. Some people wait longer. I've done a few pieces after a shorter period of time and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

Edward Weingarden
02-22-2018, 8:46 PM
Thanks David

Ted Calver
02-22-2018, 10:58 PM
I'm still working on my first gallon of oil from Doctor's and it has been curing quite well for me in a couple of weeks.

Bill Blasic
02-23-2018, 7:05 AM
I'll be the odd fellow out here as I have both Mahoney and the Doctors Walnut Oil and without a doubt Mahoney's oil cures way faster than the Doctors.

John K Jordan
02-23-2018, 8:34 AM
I'll be the odd fellow out here as I have both Mahoney and the Doctors Walnut Oil and without a doubt Mahoney's oil cures way faster than the Doctors.

Curious, have you compared the finish with Mahoney's and Doctor's, for example without buffing? I prefer a satin sheen rather than gloss but I've never tried walnut oil.

JKJ

Mike Nathal
02-23-2018, 8:41 AM
Both heat and light accelerates the curing. In summer I put my pieces on my patio table for a couple of afternoons. In the winter I put pieces in my kitchen oven on the "warm" setting -- 145 F for a few hours.

I was surprised how much lighter in color the Doctors oil is compared to Mahoney.

Reed Gray
02-23-2018, 10:13 AM
I can't say that I have noticed any curing time differences with the Doctor's or Mike's, but I do prefer the wax mix in The Doctor's mix. It is all I use any more. I have taken an old incandescent bulb and put it under curing bowls on the wire racks. Seems to help.

robo hippy

Peter Blair
02-23-2018, 1:21 PM
ok, fpr those that buff any of these oils. Do you dedicate buffing wheels? It always seemed to me that I wouldn't want oil residue on the buffs that I use for lacquer or WOP?

Edward Weingarden
02-23-2018, 5:14 PM
Pete:
That's an excellent question. I wouldn't want to soil any of my buffing wheels.

John Keeton
02-23-2018, 6:14 PM
The few utility bowls I do are always “finished” with walnut oil. I wet sand with walnut oil through 400 grit, then spin the bowl faster with 0000, then with a rag with a wax/walnut oil mix - all on the lathe. No need to buff at that point.

Ralph Lindberg
02-23-2018, 10:40 PM
I can't say that I have noticed any curing time differences with the Doctor's or Mike's, but I do prefer the wax mix in The Doctor's mix. It is all I use any more. I have taken an old incandescent bulb and put it under curing bowls on the wire racks. Seems to help.

robo hippy

The way they work and look I think Doc's has more wax and less oil, while Mike's has more oil and less wax.

I often put Mike's down first, then the 2nd coat is Doctors. Then buff

Edward Weingarden
02-23-2018, 10:47 PM
Maybe I'll get the oil/wax mix and apply as John does; the buffing wheels won't enter the equation.

Bill Blasic
02-24-2018, 7:10 AM
I use walnut oil for that which is to be food based use. I have once used it (Mahoney's oil) on a highly figured piece and buffed it, I would call it an in between satin and matte. Felt great and slightly improved the figure but I think it would have sold sooner with a gloss finish. I have never buffed Doctors (bought a gallon and have used less than 8 ounces).

Mike Nathal
02-24-2018, 8:04 AM
If the turning is a utility piece, buffing is not worth the time. I usually buff (Beall system) if the piece is an artistic item and I really like the sheen produced and the surface is velvety smooth. If the oil is cured there is no effect on the wheels.

Don Frank
02-24-2018, 8:11 AM
John, What type or brand of wax do you like to combine with the walnut oil? Do you heat them up to combine the two into a slurry type paste?

Peter Blair
02-24-2018, 3:54 PM
Thanks Mike, cured would that be when I can no longer smell it?

If the turning is a utility piece, buffing is not worth the time. I usually buff (Beall system) if the piece is an artistic item and I really like the sheen produced and the surface is velvety smooth. If the oil is cured there is no effect on the wheels.

John Keeton
02-24-2018, 4:21 PM
John, What type or brand of wax do you like to combine with the walnut oil? Do you heat them up to combine the two into a slurry type paste?Don, a couple years ago I melted some carnuba and some Mahoney’s walnut oil I had left over. The mix is too heavy on the wax and is too hard, but I nuked some to soften it and soaked a cotton rag. It holds enough to give a very light wax sheen with a bit of heat from the spin of the lathe. I am sure a commercial mix would be be easier to use.

Mike Nathal
02-28-2018, 7:43 AM
Thanks Mike, cured would that be when I can no longer smell it?

I test curing by putting the piece on a piece of paper. After an hour or so I check to see if it left a ring of oil on the paper. If not, it is cured

Peter Blair
02-28-2018, 9:13 AM
Thanks Mike!

I test curing by putting the piece on a piece of paper. After an hour or so I check to see if it left a ring of oil on the paper. If not, it is cured