PDA

View Full Version : Lathe find!

Joe Judge
11-11-2005, 7:58 PM
Summary: slight gloat, but mostly just have to share with folks who'll understand :-)

Today - I found an Atlas-Craftsman wood lathe! in nice shape, costing less than a bill with President Grant on it.

This is a nice, old lathe ... 1x8 TPI (like my Rockwell lathe!)
Bed is 47" long w/o tailstock on it (so = 36" turning length?)
Swing is 10" diameter

It came with:
3" faceplate,
large rear/reverse-threaded faceplace for off-board turning (has a sanding disc on it?)
spur drive
dead center & cup center
tool rest/banjo & a 6" rest
no motor and only a wee bit of rustThis will clean up nice and be the PERFECT gift for my son-in-law.

-- joe

Pict below, some others here (http://personal.intrusion.org/%7Ejoe/sawmill/).

http://personal.intrusion.org/%7Ejoe/sawmill/DCP02268.JPG

John Hart
11-11-2005, 9:20 PM
Great Find Joe! Nice price too. So, what are you going to do for a motor? Just curious if you can put whatever horsepower you want to on a thing like that. The bearings look to be in good shape too. Be sure to post "after" pics! Fun project. :)

Jim Becker
11-11-2005, 9:52 PM
Very nice find! If I ran into one of those, I'd snap it up in a second to use as a dedicated spindle lathe for furniture work to compliment the Stubby that I use for bowls and vessels. Those older machines are just terrific in quality. Congrats!

Joe Judge
11-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Thanks all

When I'd found my own lathe (Rockwell 46-111) ... it was in similar condition to this lathe: needing motor, stand, and some clean-up. It had a motor that I either killed or was dead when I got it (sparks, poof, dead).

So, I assume I'll search OWW & google the heck out of this lathe -- so I can get specs, details, etc. That should tell me motor HP & speed. Its 1x8 TPI, but I can't tell the MT of the head/tail stock.

I spent the evening cleaning it up & cleaning the bed (wee bit of rusting/pitting, otherwise nice). I don't know if I'll go all out and repaint, etc. But, I will get lathe-in-action shots when it goes live.

-- joe

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Nice gloat. Should be an MT2. I'm sure he'll like it.

Bruce

Jerry Clark
11-12-2005, 9:36 PM
Nice lathe Joe-- great machine. I have one that is maybe a year newer-maybe 1955 - door on top-- Mine was a freeby and was really rusted-- I made a heavy stand and salvaged a DC motor from an old tread mill. Works great.:D