PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Tool Planes Screw Thread?

Christopher Marshall
02-22-2018, 4:48 AM
I recently acquired an Ohio Tool no 07 hand plane and my son has an Ohio Tool no 08. The no 07 is missing the tote handle and screws for the handle. The screws from the 08 fit perfectly in the 07 so we have examples of the screws. The toe screw seems to be like a Stanley and have #12-20 thread. The large main screw for the tote handle appears to be something else. It does seem to be 20 threads per inch but its larger than a #12-20 and a #12-20 will wiggle loose if it is used. I picked up a 1/4-20 screw to try at the hardware store and it is too big and doesn't fit so the screw seems to be in between a #12 and a 1/4. I am not an expert in screws but I don't know of a screw size that would match this. Anyone have any ideas what size this might be? Or is this an Ohio Tool special and I need to spend some time with my engine lathe making a screw?

thanks,
Chris

Jim Koepke
02-22-2018, 12:21 PM
Howdy Chris and welcome to the Creek.

My guess is you will end up with a screw that fits quicker if you make your own.

Many of the plane makers of more than a century ago would use their tooling until it was no longer useable. This caused some variation in threads at times. Some just didn't go with the most standard sizes. Stanley used thread sizes that were listed standards, but not regularly used. Some suspect this made them a good revenue stream from spare parts sales.

jtk

steven c newman
02-22-2018, 2:05 PM
The Stanley bolts MIGHT just fit..depending upon WHEN Stanley bought out Ohio......

Christopher Marshall
02-22-2018, 3:27 PM
I tried some Stanley screws/bolts, just a hair too small. The Stanley screws are #12-20. Thanks for the idea though.

Chris

Greg Wease
02-22-2018, 4:43 PM
It's unlikely that Ohio Tool used two different screw threads for the tote and knob. If the 12-20 is correct for the knob perhaps your tote boss is just excessively worn. I have heard of people using JB Weld around the female threads and re-tapping but I haven't tried this myself.

Mike Baker 2
02-22-2018, 5:01 PM
It's unlikely that Ohio Tool used two different screw threads for the tote and knob. If the 12-20 is correct for the knob perhaps your tote boss is just excessively worn. I have heard of people using JB Weld around the female threads and re-tapping but I haven't tried this myself.

I have contemplated this on a Miller's Fall I have. I'm in a similar situation, in that I have a set of handle and tote I scrounged off a cheap plane, but the screws are, like above, a tad small. They tighten down solid, but as you work with the plane they work loose and come off in your hands.
I have considered smearing JB Weld or epoxy on the ends of the threads and screwing it down and letting it cure.
It's not a collector plane, there's very little value, $10-$20 maybe.
Will be watching this thread closely.

Edited to add: The only reason I have not tried this yet is that I am not sure that either the JB Weld or the epoxy can stand the shear load of the plane in use, and if it did not work, it might prevent me trying something else.
The iron will fit my Stanley #5, so it's not a total loss, but......

Bob Leistner
02-22-2018, 5:44 PM
Put a Heli-Coil in it

Pete Taran
02-23-2018, 8:34 AM
The JB weld will certainly work. However, if you want to be able to get it out again, coat the threaded end of the rod with pastewax and allow to dry before screwing it into the JB Weld. Let Dry for 24 hours and then you should be able to unscrew it easily.

Rick Whitehead
02-23-2018, 11:58 AM
There is a machine screw size that MIGHT fit: a 14-20. Its diameter is .242. Good luck finding a screw, though. You might have to make one, or have one made.
The taps and dies are available. I know, because I once bought a 14-20 tap, mistaking it for a 1/4-20. That's when I learned the difference between them. It didn't fit.
Rick

Christopher Marshall
02-23-2018, 6:44 PM
Rick's suggestion sounds the most likely. I just pulled the screws out of the tote handle from the Ohio 08. The toe screw fits a Stanley 5 and that is supposed to be #12-20. The main screw for the tote is just a bit bigger and does not with it going about a half a turn into the Stanley before binding up. Since I am generally into wood working and not metal working I don't have a set of calipers that is accurate enough to tell if it is a #14-20 but it seems likely.
Chris

Christopher Marshall
03-04-2018, 9:43 AM
This is a follow up on the outcome. I purchased taps and dies for #12-20, #12-24 and #14-20 thread and then did the following.

For the Ohio tote toe screw I got a 1/4-20 round head screw at the hardware store that looks pretty much what the toe screws look like on the Ohio (based on my son's no 08) and Stanley. I turned this down in the lathe and rethreaded it making the screw a #12-20.

For the main Ohio tote screw I got some .242 diameter W1 rod cut and threaded a screw like the Stanley's have. I used the #14-20 die (thanks to Rick Whitehead for the suggestion) and this thread works perfectly with the existing threads in the plane base. I then made a cap screw from some 1/2" round brass stock. My son's Ohio 08 has a long regular screw with an oval head and I couldn't find anything close. The Stanley style screw will work but it isn't faithful to the original. I will have a useable plane without doing any damage to the 07. Now I need to make the tote handle which shouldn't be difficult since I am really into woodworking and not metal working.

At the same time I got the Ohio 07 I also acquired a Union 8 and it's screws are mostly #12-24 which my local hardware store has some of. I made a Stanley style screw for both the knob and the long screw in the tote. A screw from the hardware store works for the tote toe.

thanks everyone for the pointers and suggestions,
Chris

Jim Koepke
03-04-2018, 11:20 AM
Thanks for posting the outcome Chris.

It is always informative to read how others have dealt with such encounters.

jtk