PDA

View Full Version : NE Spalted BLM Burl HF

Steve Doerr
02-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Just recently finish this piece. I got it a couple of years ago from a friend that was moving and getting out of turning. The top was natural edge and it took me awhile to figure out what I wanted to do with it. So this is what I ended up with. It is 10"H x 71/4"W. C&C welcomed.

Barry McFadden
02-21-2018, 11:26 PM
Nice form and a great piece of wood!!!

Steve Schlumpf
02-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Beautiful work Steve! Great form and I really like the natural edge opening! Thanks for sharing!

Damon McLaughlin
02-22-2018, 12:37 AM
Beautiful turning. I love the live edge opening and the form overall. Stunning piece of wood too!

David Delo
02-22-2018, 7:51 AM
Certainly a very sweet looking piece of timber Steve. Can't see the thickness of the top but suppose you jam chucked it to finish the bottom. With the irregular surface at the opening, any issues with getting it to run true? Did you need to wrap the neck on the outside?

Doug Herzberg
02-22-2018, 9:51 AM
Love everything about this one. Nice work!

daryl moses
02-22-2018, 11:20 AM
Oh wow!!! Beautiful piece I like everything about it.

Steve Doerr
02-22-2018, 12:01 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments. I have been working hard on my form and especially with getting the foot smaller.

David, I have attached a photo (sorry about the quality) of a top view of the turning. I left the lip thick so that you could see more of the natural edge. The lip is 1/2" thick but the wall thickness is 1/4". As far as the reverse chucking process, I used the Rubber Ducky jam check. It has an aluminum shaft that I was able to get all the way to the bottom of the turning for support against the tail stock. That way, I did not have to put a lot of pressure on the natural edge to hold it in place as I trimmed the foot off.

David Delo
02-22-2018, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation Steve. From the side, it didn't look like you had that much meat to work with. I have the same rubber chucky product also and it's worked well for what I needed it to do.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I have been working hard on my form and especially with getting the foot smaller.

David, I have attached a photo (sorry about the quality) of a top view of the turning. I left the lip thick so that you could see more of the natural edge. The lip is 1/2" thick but the wall thickness is 1/4". As far as the reverse chucking process, I used the Rubber Ducky jam check. It has an aluminum shaft that I was able to get all the way to the bottom of the turning for support against the tail stock. That way, I did not have to put a lot of pressure on the natural edge to hold it in place as I trimmed the foot off.

Sam Beagle
02-22-2018, 4:27 PM
Very impressive work here. Would love to get to that point someday.

Bob Bergstrom
02-22-2018, 4:55 PM
I’m totally jealous. Beautiful!

Bill Jobe
02-22-2018, 5:58 PM
Pure class, Steve.
From the side it gives little evidence it's hollowed. I love that.

robert baccus
02-22-2018, 11:08 PM
Wow--perfect yeah.