PDA

View Full Version : Network Connections

Peter Stahl
11-11-2005, 7:52 PM
Well I finally figured out how to network my two PC's but in the process I made a couple that I want to get rid of. If I open Network Connections in the Control Panel there will be a list of the ones I made. I've tried looking everywhere but can't find a way to delete of remove the ones I don't want. Anyone have a clue?

thanks, Pete

Doug Shepard
11-11-2005, 8:26 PM
I can't tell you exactly how to do it safely, but I think you might have to delete some entries in the Registry using Regedit. If you type in regedit in the Run command box off the start menu, then use regedit to search (use the 'match entire string' option) for the name of the connection that shows up in the Network Connections, you should be able to find them in the registry. On my machine, they're under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Ne twork\BUCID1\BUCID2\Connection where BUCID=Big Ugly Class ID number. I'm pretty sure the BUCID's are classes for the different types of connections (LAN, Wireless, Firewire, Dialup, etc.). I think it may be as simple as deleting the whole Connection and sub-keys that show up under the relevant BUCID2's but I certainly wouldn't try this without first setting a system restore point, doing a pretty good system backup, and getting a 2nd opinion as to whether this is your only option.

John Miliunas
11-11-2005, 8:33 PM
Peter, if you know which connection(s) it is, just "right-click" on it and be sure it's disabled. Does not harm in being there, as long as your network isn't trying to access it. If it's "disabled", it just kinda' sits there.:) :cool:

Peter Stahl
11-11-2005, 8:37 PM
I can't tell you exactly how to do it safely, but I think you might have to delete some entries in the Registry using Regedit. If you type in regedit in the Run command box off the start menu, then use regedit to search (use the 'match entire string' option) for the name of the connection that shows up in the Network Connections, you should be able to find them in the registry. On my machine, they're under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Ne twork\BUCID1\BUCID2\Connection where BUCID=Big Ugly Class ID number. I'm pretty sure the BUCID's are classes for the different types of connections (LAN, Wireless, Firewire, Dialup, etc.). I think it may be as simple as deleting the whole Connection and sub-keys that show up under the relevant BUCID2's but I certainly wouldn't try this without first setting a system restore point, doing a pretty good system backup, and getting a 2nd opinion as to whether this is your only option.

Thanks for the reply Doug. Don't know why they make it that difficult to get rid of them. They were pretty easy to create. I also learn the hard way!

Peter Stahl
11-11-2005, 8:39 PM
Peter, if you know which connection(s) it is, just "right-click" on it and be sure it's disabled. Does not harm in being there, as long as your network isn't trying to access it. If it's "disabled", it just kinda' sits there.:) :cool:

Thanks for the reply John. You're right but I thought I'd get rid of them if I could. Next time I'll try and change the properties before I make another of anything.

Frank Hagan
11-11-2005, 11:26 PM
Thanks for the reply John. You're right but I thought I'd get rid of them if I could. Next time I'll try and change the properties before I make another of anything.

You could always go back to a "restore point" before you created them and then re-create the one you need. Seems kludgey, huh? But I guess that's the world of computers nowadays.

Peter Stahl
11-12-2005, 8:00 AM
You could always go back to a "restore point" before you created them and then re-create the one you need. Seems kludgey, huh? But I guess that's the world of computers nowadays.

Thanks for the reply Frank. I think I'd just leave it there before I did that though.

Doug Shepard
11-12-2005, 9:18 AM
Thanks for the reply Doug. Don't know why they make it that difficult to get rid of them. They were pretty easy to create. I also learn the hard way!

I think I've thought of a way to at least confirm (and benignly I think) that the Connection key and sub-keys are the relevant registry entries that show up in the Network Connection control panel. Once you find the matching name with the registry search, use regedit to change the 'Name' property. I'd only modify it by changing 1 letter of the name. Then go back to the Network Connections CP and do a View->Refresh to see if the displayed name of the connection changed.