PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Bowl/Terrible Pic

Roger Chandler
02-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Beautiful Bowl/Terrible Pic

This is my first off my new Grizzly G0800 Beast. Black Walnut - 10" diameter.
I had a very unfortunate issue with the pictures. I used my Nikon DSLR-3100 and my PC did not recognize the SD card! :eek: I tried going to Sandisk site to get drivers, etc fixed, but to no avail! :mad:This is the same card I have used in the past successfully to post pics both here and on other forums.
Ended up using my cell phone, and the photo background reflected off the very refined finish so badly that it just made the pic very poor. I had even taken the time to set up my photo lights, etc. Even my FastStone software could not do much to help it, other than crop and resize.
This did not start out to be a calabash form, but because I ran into a rotten area at what is the rim, then I had to cut that away, so it naturally began to shape up to be a calabash bowl.
I was really hoping to show this one off in its best light, but you know the old saying ..."the best laid plans of mice and men..." Hopefully at least, you can get the general idea.

BTW, that Grizzly G0800 beast is quite the machine! ;):D
379570 379571

allen thunem
02-21-2018, 12:22 PM
what kind of wood???

Roger Chandler
02-21-2018, 12:31 PM
what kind of wood???

Black walnut

Steve Eure
02-21-2018, 12:59 PM
Rodger, regardless of the photo quality, your words not mine, the bowl is beautiful. What kind of finish did you use?

Roger Chandler
02-21-2018, 1:31 PM
Rodger, regardless of the photo quality, your words not mine, the bowl is beautiful. What kind of finish did you use?
Antique oil, but antique oil is not usually this shiney. I do several sequences of wet sanding after dry sanding through the grits, and progress each sequence up a grit until I hit 800 grit. The varied grain soaks up the oil at different rates, and it looks awful, until one gets to the last series after drying overnight, and then after that coat is dried, I put on one or two coats of AO without being thinned, like when wet sanding. A labor intensive process, but the end results make it look like glass.

George Bokros
02-21-2018, 1:37 PM
Beautiful. It really pops.

David Delo
02-21-2018, 4:16 PM
Top shelf Roger :)

Maria Alvarado
02-28-2018, 1:25 PM
Beautiful bowl, just the same.
Hope you figure out the camera issue, looks like some nice feather in there.

Roger Chandler
02-28-2018, 1:57 PM
Beautiful bowl, just the same.
Hope you figure out the camera issue, looks like some nice feather in there.

Thanks Maria.........haven't had time to address the driver issue on the SD card yet, but will get that done, and can then do better on my next photo attempt.

Prashun Patel
02-28-2018, 2:40 PM
That is some dark walnut. Lovely form. My favorite.

Roger Chandler
02-28-2018, 8:54 PM
That is some dark walnut. Lovely form. My favorite.Thank you, Sir!