PDA

View Full Version : Guitar building 101

Shiraz Balolia
11-11-2005, 6:13 PM
At the request of several forum members, I am posting a link to an article that I wrote for Custom Woodworking Business magazine in their July 2003 issue.

Please note that this article does not even begin to cover the intricacies of building an acoustic guitar, but gives you a flavor for it.

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pdf/cwbarticle.pdf (http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pdf/cwbarticle.pdf)

Todd Davidson
11-11-2005, 6:37 PM
Thank you for sharing the article with us.

In peace, Todd

Vaughn McMillan
11-11-2005, 7:00 PM
Cool article, Shiraz. Thanks for posting it. One of these days when time, shop space, and money permit, I intend to build an acoustic steel string guitar. (Although I just might have to do one of the electric solid body kits you sell before diving into an acoustic. I play more electric stuff than acoustic anyway.)

Thanks again -

- Vaughn

Lars Thomas
11-11-2005, 9:07 PM
Just amazing work. An acoustic is on my list of things to make before I die. One day . . .

Dave O'Nan
11-11-2005, 9:27 PM
All I have to say is that curly maple body in the first pic is going to be one fine guitar, and I love your tools, I am a proud owner of many of your fine products. I am glad to see you around here. Dave:)

Keith Foster
11-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks Shiraz - still waiting to start mine with the neck you sent.

I've had to put the guitar project on the back burner as several family health issues have side lined my dad. I did get the planer going though and the gals came through with a couple of sweet rewards. Planning on posting photos soon! Wait till you guys read that bedtime story! :p

By the way, your inlay work is absolutely out of this world. I am so looking forward to trying my hand at that. If any of you do not have a Grizzly catalog then you don't know what your missing. There are some absolutely stunning photos of Shiraz's work inside.

scott spencer
11-12-2005, 1:23 PM
Thanks for the link Shiraz. I'm in the middle of building my first electric guitar, and that's challenging enough. Don't know if I'll ever do an acoustic, but I've bookmarked the link just in case! :)

John Shuk
11-12-2005, 7:40 PM
You do nice work Shiraz. I've been a fan as long as I've been getting Grizzly catalogs. By the way. What kind of music do you play most? I've often wondered. If you play 1/50 as well as you build guitars I'd love to hear you.
Glad to see you here welcome.
John

Shiraz Balolia
11-13-2005, 7:10 PM
Keith - sorry to hear about your dad's health. Hope he recovers soon. Also, when you get around to building that guitar, let me know if you get stumped.

John and all - thanks for the comments. I like to play the blues, but for me, its forced learning ie....not gifted when it comes to playing. Quite often when I am practicing at home and I hit the wrong note, I hear this roar of laughter from my wife, and then she quickly pretends like nothing happened!

David LaRue
11-13-2005, 9:34 PM
Shiraz,

I have always been impressed with your guitar making abilities. Thanks for sharing the article. Perhaps you could have SMC post in the Articles section for easy reference in the future.

David

Jarrod Nelson
11-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Interesting article. Beautiful work.

My boss is having a guitar built for him (http://www.bischoffguitars.com/). I forwarded your article to him to test his patients a little.

Andy Henriksen
11-14-2005, 8:38 AM
A guy on a music forum that I frequent posted a link to the following homemade fretless banjo project that he did. Not exactly fine woodworking but I thought you folks may get a kick out of it. there's an audio clip too, and the thing doesn't sound too bad!

http://geocities.com/pietrosammarco/cookietin.html

John Renzetti
11-14-2005, 9:30 AM
hi Shiraz, I remember reading that article in CWB. That was well done. You do excellent work.
take care,
John
PS quick offtop question and you can send me a private email so as not to change the thread. I've been eying the portable spraybooths you have. There wasn't one on display at Vegas. Do you have one setup in the PA showroom.

Jason Tuinstra
11-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Shiraz, fantastic post. The wood selection and the detail work is marvelous. Like others, I love your catalog for the great shots of your work - and the tools :p You do great work and we'd love to see more as you churn em' out. Thanks for the post and your participation on SMC.