PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay - Any Just Purch a Unisaw?

Joe Scarfo
11-11-2005, 3:39 PM
Anyone in the Tampa Bay area just purch a new Unisaw?

I'm packing up mine for the move to Green Bay and could really use some of the packing material. I'll come pick it up.

If no one in Green Bay, I'll pay someone to ship their boxes to me? I'm in need of the styrofoam piece upon which the motor rests during shippmetn and the boxes for a Bies fence.

Thanks
Joe

Cecil Arnold
11-11-2005, 8:12 PM
Better pack some long johns to go with the Uni. it gets cold up there I'm told.

JayStPeter
11-11-2005, 8:43 PM
When I moved, I used a piece of packing styrofoam from a computer monitor. I hacked it up and shoved it in there. I figured the idea is to keep the motor from stressing the trunion when bouncing up and down. So, I jammed a piece in there and lowered the motor until it was firmly resting on it. My move wasn't quite as long as yours, but there was multiple trips involved. No problems.

Jay

Ed Blough
11-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Joe
Sorry I can't help you with packing material. However I have serious concerns for your decision, moving to Green Bay!! Baby it is cold up there!:eek: Are you sure you know what you doing?:)

I will make this offer, if you decide you can't pack your unisaw correctly I will let you store it in my garage until I can find some packing. I'm sure in about 10 or so years I should be able to acquire suitable packing to make sure it arrives unharmed by the move.

Fred Dorn
11-12-2005, 12:18 AM
Better pack some long johns to go with the Uni. it gets cold up there I'm told.

Cold...no. Just a bit blustery :D

Barry O'Mahony
11-12-2005, 2:04 PM
Joe
Sorry I can't help you with packing material. However I have serious concerns for your decision, moving to Green Bay!! Baby it is cold up there!Oh yea, like weather that's 90 degrees F, 90 percent humidity is any better. Not to mention hurricanes, lightning, etc. No thanks. ;)

I remember going to Tampa on business several years ago; walked out of the airport terminal at 11:30 pm, and the 85+ temperature and dripping humidity almost knocked me over. I think I mumbled to the first person I saw, "I don't know how you people live like this".

The point is, to each his own, weather-wise.

Bart Leetch
11-12-2005, 5:56 PM
Joe

I will make this offer, if you decide you can't pack your unisaw correctly I will let you store it in my garage until I can find some packing. I'm sure in about 10 or so years I should be able to acquire suitable packing to make sure it arrives unharmed by the move.

I'm not sure if Joe would let you store the Uni Ed but if he did I'm sure he would take the switch & cord & fence & store them at his place.:eek: :D :D :D

Ed Blough
11-12-2005, 6:03 PM
Oh yea, like weather that's 90 degrees F, 90 percent humidity is any better. Not to mention hurricanes, lightning, etc. No thanks. ;)

I remember going to Tampa on business several years ago; walked out of the airport terminal at 11:30 pm, and the 85+ temperature and dripping humidity almost knocked me over. I think I mumbled to the first person I saw, "I don't know how you people live like this".

The point is, to each his own, weather-wise.

Barry I agree. I swore 40 years ago I would never live in Florida but things happen. I have been here 30 years and would leave tomorrow if my wife would let me. I have told my children if my wife dies first don't stand between and the way north because when the first shovel of dirt goes in I'm going north. :o

Kevin Post
11-13-2005, 9:28 AM
Joe:

If you can't find original packing, you might also try going the custom route. When I've needed custom packing for a fragile something or other, I've used Great Stuff insulating foam and plastic grocery bags.

You could make a foam brick with an appropritely-sized box, line the box with plastic bags and spray the foam into the box. Let it harden and carve it up as needed to fit the motor.

I have only done this for smaller items that would fit inside a box but the brick should work too. For small stuff, I line the box with bags, spray the foam into the box, lay a plastic bag over the foam, seat the item into the foam, place more bag(s) on top of the item and cover with more foam and close the box.

You need to be careful not to use too much foam because the stuff really expands and will explode the box. DAMHIKT

(The weather here is not so bad either if you dress for it. In Wisconsin, when it gets cold, you can put on as many clothes as you need to stay warm. When it gets too warm in Florida, taking off as many clothes as you need to stay cool would land you in jail. :rolleyes: )

Joe Scarfo
11-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Kevin,

Thanks for the advise. I used to work in a mfgr facility and we used expanding foam from 55 gal drums to pack stuff.

I had planned to do the same w/ trash bags and expanding foam for some items.

I have foudn the styrofoam piece I wanted... so I won't have to worry about removing the motor. I so did not want to have to do that.

Joe