PDA

View Full Version : Hobo nickel

Lee Childers
02-16-2018, 2:02 PM
Has anyone done a Hobo Nickel with a fiber? any pics?

John Lifer
02-17-2018, 8:07 AM
I played with a few pennies a while back. Guess I'm too cheap to do a Nickel. I fibered the surface to remove the image and then added a ring with my wording and fibered leaving wording raised. Worked OK, nickel would probably look better. I found some polished stainless steel discs on an auction site and got a few to play with. Annealed on one side and light cut engraved on other so it wasn't quite smooth. I'll see if I can attach pic. Nothing spectacular. Oh, on the penny, I used a wobble and then a circular with wobble to remove.

John Lifer
02-17-2018, 1:12 PM
379253Coin

Nick Hale
02-18-2018, 2:05 AM
I was wanting to try to make police challenge coins out of half dollars or golden dollars. I tried etching it flat but you could still see the head. I then grinded it on the belt sander. I wasnt too happy with the results. Haven't tried it again since.

John Lifer
02-18-2018, 10:42 AM
379310The Penny of which I spoke. Not really very pretty either. The other one, which I gave away actually looked better, but rings showed a lot.

Lee Childers
02-18-2018, 10:57 PM
Those look good...I wonder if they could be buffed to give them some shine ...Im going to try some and I will post pics as well ...TY for the pics