PDA

View Full Version : Saw sharpening services?

John Stevens
02-15-2018, 10:12 PM
The “$25 Disston Saw” thread got me wondering about saw sharpening services. I’ve tried a couple of google searches and come up with more names of people who’ve gotten out of the business than who are still in it. I recently acquired some rusty, dusty Atkins & Disston saws and if they’re in good enough shape to be sharpened, I’d pay to have it done. Not interested in doing it myself, at all. I know of Vintage Saws and Bad Axe. Any others?

If any of you lives near Philly PA and knows enough to tell me whether these saws are too rusty to be sharpened, I’d really appreciate it if we could meet.

—John

Phil Mueller
02-15-2018, 11:17 PM
Frankly, I wouldn’t look any further than Vintage Saws. For $10 Pete will give you a complete evaluation based on digital photos you send him. If it’s worth doing, he’ll also give you an estimate to refurbish, sharpen, or whatever he thinks it needs.

Barney Markunas
02-16-2018, 8:18 AM
Matt Cianci (The Saw Wright) did a very nice job on a couple of saws for me some time ago. At that time his backlog was substantial but he was up front about it and accurate about when he would get them back to me.