PDA

View Full Version : Blue Grass Tools

lowell holmes
02-15-2018, 12:05 PM
I suspect only old dogs like myself know about Bluegrass.
My daddy had Bluegrass Hammers. That was about 60 years ago.

The recent Harvey flood in Galveston County, Texas went through my Garage shop.
My oldest son, being a contractor, went through my garage shop and stored my tools in plastic storage tubs purchased from one of the stores.
I was going through one of the tubs and came across two wooden handled hammers, a 7 oz. and a 12 oz. Bluegrass

I also came across my saw set. It is a Taintor. I suspect not many of you know about Taintor or Bluegrass.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=A0LEV75GvIVafyIAgmgPxQt.?p=taintor+mfg +co+saw+set&fr=yhs-pty-pty_email&fr2=piv-web&hspart=pty&hsimp=yhs-pty_email&type=em_appfocus1_cr

Bill Houghton
02-15-2018, 12:17 PM
With Bluegrass tools, are you obligated to have Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, and other bluegrass musicians on your shop sound system? Not a bad thing, if you are...some of America's finer homegrown music.

And Taintor saw sets: I have one also. There was a saw guru some years back who touted Taintor as the best saw set, although the Stanley 42 seems to be the current favorite.

lowell holmes
02-15-2018, 12:20 PM
I also had a Stanley 42 saw set, but it has not surfaced since the flood.
I used to listen to Bluegrass music, but we lost our vinyl collection as well.

steven c newman
02-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Used to have a few of their tools...the Blue 48" wasn't too bad....but the vials would keep getting out of plumb....returned a couple..gave up

Place where I bought the Blue Grass line of tools....changed over to Vaughn and others...

James Pallas
02-15-2018, 3:29 PM
When I started out doing this kind of work a lot of the carpenters I was around swore by Bluegrass hammers. The rest of us lowly newbies used mostly Plumb with an occasional Lakeside (Montgomery Ward) and a craftsman or two in the mix. Those Bluegrass guys would threaten your wellbeing if you even looked at their hammers, if you picked it up you would draw back a nub. Lol
Jim

lowell holmes
02-15-2018, 4:05 PM
I still feel that way. ;)

Von Bickley
02-15-2018, 4:54 PM
I just gave my son this past Saturday, some Blue Grass tools. A pair of Blue Grass pliers, a small hand plane in the original box, and a pair of Blue Grass lineman pliers that I got when I started doing electrical work. I know these tools were over 50 years old and still in great condition. Blue Grass made great tools.

lowell holmes
02-24-2018, 6:20 PM
I just used my 7 oz. Bluegrass hammer while installing some wall mop hangers in a utility closet for SWMBO. I prefer hammers with wooden handles.