PDA

View Full Version : Smaller than average non-mini workbenches--want ideas

Matt Lau
02-14-2018, 4:59 PM
Hey Creekers,

I finally have my own bedroom again!

However, it's not big enough for a full-sized standard workbench (Roubo or otherwise).
Even a Moravian is pretty big.

I know this is a silly question, but have you guys ever built a smaller than average non-mini workbench (aka not a Moxon bench on bench)?

I'm trying to come up with ideas.
Currently, I'm thinking of making a not as deep as average nicholson.

Nathan Johnson
02-14-2018, 5:06 PM
How small are you talking?

I made my basement bench 66" long by 26 1/2" deep. The depth is two separate slabs with a tool well.

Richard Line
02-14-2018, 5:44 PM
I did a bench 60" x 22" that is some kind of morph between a Shaker and a Roubo. I needed the storage from the drawers. The top is about 2-3/8 thick. There is a space of about 6" between the bottom of the top and the top of the drawer unit. I put the legs very close to the ends of the top to get the maximum width for the drawers. The face vise is set inside the leg. I've been quite happy with it.

Brandon Speaks
02-14-2018, 6:35 PM
I saw this today, seems like what you are thinking

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/tls/d/saw-horse-roubo-style/6462389921.html

Matt Lau
02-14-2018, 7:05 PM
Thanks, Brandon!

I wasn't sure if it'd be just pointless, or it it'd make sense.
I was thinking about 48-60" in length and 14-20" wide, about 34" tall.
I wasn't sure if this would be too tippy.

Matt Lau
02-14-2018, 7:06 PM
Hey Richard, any pictures?

Tony Wilkins
02-14-2018, 7:31 PM
My first woodworking was done on a workmate on my front porch. That’s about 30” IIRC and I was surprised just how hand it was.

Jim Koepke
02-14-2018, 7:49 PM
My first woodworking was done on a workmate on my front porch. That’s about 30” IIRC and I was surprised just how hand it was.

Same here, a workmate was used for a few years. My first 'real' and still in use bench is a Sjoberg Bench that is 60" (5 feet) by about 22". They are now about twice what mine cost.

jtk

Dave Zellers
02-14-2018, 8:34 PM
Here is one I'm in the middle of building. 48" x 18", 2" thick top, a mix of red and white oak. It's really heavy for it's size. It will be even heavier after I install the end vise and leg vise. I'll be putting it on wheels that will flip up for use as a solid bench on the floor or down to increase the height by 5" or just be able to move it around. Wish I could finish it now but the boss re-assigned me to work on her kitchen.

It's not glued up yet but the M&T's are very snug and it holds together very well just dry fit.

Mike Baker 2
02-14-2018, 8:52 PM
I built a 5'X19. Small, but works well. I did a video series on it.
It's a long thread, with several videos detailing the progress. If you can pull any ideas from it, I'd be honored. That is the purpose of doing it.
My advice is don't be in a hurry. Look at all the builds here, on Youtube, etc., and adapt a design or make one up from all the different ideas, to fit what you are needing. That is what I did, and it is a fantastic bench.
Good luck, and ask these guys lots of questions. They are (mostly) friendly, and know their stuff.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?255556-First-Bench-Build-A-Video-Documentary-Thread&highlight=

Adam Schultz
02-14-2018, 9:13 PM
Here's my bench. It's not fancy. I think it's around 50" long and something like 27" deep. I tried to make a kind of 'mini ruobo'. Pretty much patched it together from
construction lumber I got from work (free!)

Nathan Johnson
02-14-2018, 9:26 PM
Guess I should add pictures. :)

66 x 26.5 and 35.5 inches tall.
Legs are set in 3.5 inches. It could easily be shorter and still be sturdy.

Joe A Faulkner
02-14-2018, 9:51 PM
Mike Siemsen has a you tube video on workholding without vises - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4

The bench featured there strikes me as less than 6' in length and probably in 20-22" width

Brandon Speaks
02-14-2018, 10:42 PM
Actually Mike was demonstrating with a mini version of the bench at the MTCA event in MN this week. The one in his video is pretty close to mine and 7' long and 22-23" wide I think

The one he had at the demo was closer to 4' long and a bit narrower. My understanding is he has long and short ones, main difference is length of stock they can hold. The build video in naked woodworker shows details on how to put it together, that one again is 7' but scale differences in length and height should be pretty easy to adjust for.

The short one I saw him using seemed pretty darn stable.

Richard Line
02-14-2018, 11:20 PM
Here are a couple of pictures showing my hybrid Shaker/Roubo bench and the nitch (dismal nitch for you NW'ers) I have for work. The space between the top and drawers works well with hold fasts, and draw unit is part of the bench's structure, so it is quite ridge. I've been using it for about 5 years.

Dan Hulbert
02-15-2018, 8:43 AM
Lee Valley sells plans for an apartment workbench. I built one a few years back. Using it now for my winter workshop. Works well for a small space and mostly hand tool work. The pictures are from when I first finished it.379142379143379144

Andrey Kharitonkin
02-15-2018, 10:20 AM
I have built 60" long and 22" wide workbench with all for sides good for clamping, like a rectangle. Later on I can unbolt top parts and build longer ones... but so far it is long enough:

(Here it is still being constructed, I then added middle board for the top.)

Andrey Kharitonkin
02-16-2018, 5:28 AM
I wasn't sure if this would be too tippy.

This you can solve by putting some heavy stuff on the bottom shelf of the workbench. Like timber storage or clamps storage underneath would do it. Also look at this small workbench on a balcony: https://youtu.be/RFLqy_R1J-c?t=8s

Rob Luter
02-16-2018, 6:00 AM
My bench is pretty small. 24 x 60 if I recall correctly

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2583/4103275307_f30a5080da_b.jpg

Lamar Keeney
02-16-2018, 10:07 AM
Might want to consider Roy Underhills "French Work Bench" It can be modified to the size you need and the rear legs being at a rake makes for good stability. Mine ended up having a 17" X 60" X 3" thick work surface that was determined by the size of the pine slab I had and also an 8" tool tray

http://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights-shop-french-work-bench-part-1/

Christopher Charles
02-16-2018, 10:22 AM
Great benches all!

For a long time I used a somewhat rickety bench that was ~5' as we moved from one place to the other. However, it became super solid with just a couple screws and careful shimming against the wall. In other words a couple screws go a long way to making a solid bench if it can be against a wall.

Good luck!

Mike Holbrook
02-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Highland Woodworking has sold the compact Hammer bench below for many years. The bench is 54” long (including the end vise).The top is about 20” wide (including a 7” tool tray on the back. Mine has been customized to add weight and reduce chips in the “storage” area. It has a simple screw front vise and a similar, full width, tail vise. Mine came with a row of square dogs and two metal dogs. Mine has served me well.

Mine will get broken down for moving in the next day or two. The package it came in was heavy but not too large, freight might be reasonable. I bought mine on sale 10-15 years ago. They do run sales on them at times.

John C Cox
02-16-2018, 1:06 PM
These are all fantastic suggestions.

I especially like the Lee Valley "Appartment work bench" as it looks like miscellaneous furniture otherwise... If it was all closed up - you would assume it was simply a dresser or small cabinet.

This is an important consideration inside the house... You will need to engage "stealth mode" from time to time. ;) ;)

Matt Lau
02-24-2018, 12:03 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'll need to find a good lumberyard to get wood.
Since I'm still a hobbyist, I don't think that I can justify anything too expensive...but I'd rather get better materials upfront.

I figure that my first few benches won't be Stan quality, but I'll work up to it.

-Matt

ps. I have a Blum workbench as my first "real" workbench, and it works well. I just find it a bit ugly, since it's plywood. It's actually really well built from an industrial standpoint.

Mike Baker 2
02-24-2018, 2:00 PM
Thanks, guys!

Since I'm still a hobbyist, I don't think that I can justify anything too expensive...but I'd rather get better materials upfront.

I figure that my first few benches won't be Stan quality, but I'll work up to it.

-Matt

ps. I have a Blum workbench as my first "real" workbench, and it works well. I just find it a bit ugly, since it's plywood. It's actually really well built from an industrial standpoint.

Don't worry about whether or not your bench is up to the quality you see from Youtube and a lot of the experienced guys around here. Mine is not the most beautiful critter, but it is strong,solid, stable, square(ish), and stiff. It won't win any prizes, but it is a pleasure to work on.
Build it to the best of your ability, build it strong, and get to work.

Bill Houghton
02-24-2018, 2:53 PM
My bench is - and has to be, because the shop is small - five feet long. On occasion, I've needed more length, and have then used a 2xwhatever as a planing board. Works fine for my work, but I'm not making eight foot high, ten foot long breakfront cabinets.

glenn bradley
02-24-2018, 3:05 PM
From Woodsmith #100:

379715 . 379716

Jim Koepke
02-24-2018, 5:26 PM

Have you been to McBeath on Ashby or White lumber near University?

Not sure what is available on the south or east side of you.

jtk

Matt Lau
02-25-2018, 2:22 AM
I'll probably go to McBeath's on Ashby.

Now, I'll need to figure out what type of wood to use, what tools I'll need, etc.
I'm probably overcomplicating things, but definitely looking forward to staying out of the office for a while...very stressful.

Mike Baker 2
02-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Whatever youbuild, get a good vice for it.

Prashun Patel
02-25-2018, 11:20 AM
Mine is 60” long. It’s good enough for most work.

I angled my legs for better stability. It has worked well in that regard.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?203044-Ash-workbench-progress-pix&highlight=ash+workbench

Mike Baker 2
02-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Mine is also around 5 ft. It is a good size, but I do confess it gets full of tools quickly. It's helpful to have someplace else to put them. I use my Workmate for that. You can add a piece of plywood clamped in the center, like the center leaf of a dining table, if you want a little more room. I plan to actually screw a larger plywood top on mine. If I ever need to work with the Workmate again(very unlikely, but possible) four screws is all that I'll need to pull, and it's ready to go.