PDA

View Full Version : New addition to the shop

Paul Canaris
11-11-2005, 7:17 AM
Well I got a new addition to my shop, a vacuum veneer press.
I purchased a Gast 7 cfm pump from an internet source for $125.<O:p></O:p>
I obtained the necessary components from JWW with enough vinyl to make two large bags for about $300. The plywood for the case, PVC pipe for the reservoirs and miscellaneous hardware all came to about another $100.:D <O:p></O:p>
Recently tested the system and it held 23 inches of vacuum dead on for one hour with no need for the pump to recycle.<O:p></O:p>
I’d like to know who else on the forum is using a vacuum veneer approach so I have some resources for questions as I get into this more.:) <O:p></O:p>

tod evans
11-11-2005, 7:44 AM
nice job paul! i`ve been working with vacuum for a little over 10 years so i`ll be happy to share the knowledge i`ve acquired. there`s definitely a curve (pun intended) so plan on wasting some scrap before you start with your veneer stash. have fun vacuum is one of the handiest tools going. tod

Richard Wolf
11-11-2005, 7:51 AM
I use a vacuum bags all the time for my curved rails. Alot of people in my trade (stairbuilding) don't and I can't understand why. They work great.

Richard

Ed Lang
11-11-2005, 8:14 AM
I do some vac bag stuff but I find I use my vac pump more for template routing parts. I make templates and use gasket material just inside of the contour. I then drill a hole in the middle and screw a brass hose barb in it for the vac hose to connect. I also use a vacuum chuck on my lathe a lot.

Point is, you will find many things to use the vacuum system for in your shop, not just a vacuum press!

Cecil Arnold
11-11-2005, 8:40 AM
I built a JWW vac. for some veneering but then found it useful for a vacuum chuck for lathe work. Haven't made up a clamp set-up like Ed's yet but can see one in the future.

Paul Canaris
11-11-2005, 11:22 AM
Ed, Cecil, I plan on doing vacuum clamping as well; purchased the materials needed when I got the kit. I actually did vacuum clamping about 25 years ago with a surplus hospital vauum pump and gaskets made from silicon caulk applied to plywood forms (pump would overheat, gaskets failed etc). It's nice to see that the technology has improved and become more readily available to the average guy.:p

Richard, Tod...thanks...I'll take you up on that offer.:)

Dan Forman
11-11-2005, 4:59 PM
Paul---Check you PM box.

Dan

Dave Avery
11-11-2005, 5:32 PM
Paul,

I've done quite a bit of vacuum veneering and have made most of the mistakes that can be made. Happy to answer specific questions. Dave.

Paul Canaris
11-11-2005, 5:47 PM
Dave thanks...

jerry cousins
11-11-2005, 6:06 PM
i've been using vacuum bag pressing for several years - but i use a continuous duty pump - both for flat work and curved doors. you'll really like the process. always liking to share info both ways.

jerry

Mark Singer
11-11-2005, 8:29 PM
I just got my Gast pump. What else do I need? It is 220 volt. Help is appreciated.

Paul Canaris
11-12-2005, 6:25 AM
If you go to the JWW woodworker site, there are plans for a 220 volt approach.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/vacuumpumps.htm

Towards the end of the pages which detail how to build a set-up are the electrical diagrams showing 220 operation.

Matthew Poeller
11-15-2005, 9:43 PM
Paul,

Where did you get your Gast pump for $125? Or is your internet source the unamed comapany that sells IT.

I have been toying with either the pump style or the venturi style since my compressor would more than handle it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dominick Giarraputo
11-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Just a thought for those who like to tinker.........

You can build a great vacuum pump/compressor by using a compressor from a refrigerator or small window A/C. They will pump over 300lbs and pull a vacuum down to 27+ inches. I use one hooked to a 30 gal tank for filling tires & such. I don't see why it can't be adapted for use with a veneer press of for clamping. They're definitely built for continuous duty so no problem with any overheating. Besides they're thermally protected and will shut off if they do and reset when they cool down.

Like I said...just a thought!

Ben Abate
11-16-2005, 7:48 AM
Hi Larry,
I have been lurking around Joe Woodworkers site for the last few weeks. I just can't decide which way to go on the pumps. I also need to find the time to dedicate to building it. I have been looking at the other companies for a few years and figure that the one from Joe's would be just fine and at half the price. I'll have to keep you in mind when I finally take the plunge to buy all the parts. Did you buy one of the kits or did you go piece by piece. It seems that the kits would be the way to go.

Good luck with your new toy
Ben

tod evans
11-16-2005, 9:04 AM
matt, if you have enough compressor then go the venturi route, no moving parts to wear out and usually a faster evacuation time. i keep a small gast pump hooked into my system to hold the vacuum after i`ve pulled it because i don`t like running the compressors to hold the vacuum, but if i where to rely on the small pump to clear the bag it would take 20-30 min. hope this helps? tod

Paul Canaris
11-16-2005, 6:15 PM
Paul,

Where did you get your Gast pump for $125? Or is your internet source the unamed comapany that sells IT.

I have been toying with either the pump style or the venturi style since my compressor would more than handle it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Mathew, it was e-bay. And the same model I got seems to pop up about every two weeks or so.