PDA

View Full Version : Corel Trace question

John Rotert
02-13-2018, 9:20 AM
When using Outline Trace, I get many shapes, some overlapping or duplicate, even from a simple B&W raster file. Is there a method of instructing Trace to just give me single connected lines so I can fill them myself with Power Fill?

The PNG file is the original. The next image show the Trace results, with the objects pulled apart. Notice the duplication and overlapping?

Mike Null
02-13-2018, 10:10 AM
John

Welcome to SMC. I don't believe there is a way to do what you want, at least my nearly 20 years of using Corel. (well, I didn't until I tried it):(

After seeing Kev's example I tried it using the quick trace option which is always my first choice. There were no duplicate lines. Just one click.

Kev Williams
02-13-2018, 11:35 AM
There kinda is, but still not perfect...

this looks lik a black/white bitmap but actually it's not, it's in RBG color-
I chose "detailed logo" (which don't make much difference),
then I clicked the "colors" tab next to the settings tab...
Notice all the gray shade colors? You'll get a separate outline
for ALL of them... SO, note 'black and white' is highlighted, click that...

--and you'll get only 2 colors :)

back in settings, make sure all of these are checked--
--then tune your smoothing sliders to your liking..

This is what I ended up with,
I made a copy, painted one, outlined one--
Upon checking, I found no extra lines, yay! BUT, sometimes it will double up some lines, usually 'holes'...

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-13-2018, 1:53 PM
Kev outlined it perfect. That's the method I use when I use Corel Trace. I think there are some new programs out there, but I also use Vector Magic which gives me very clean graphics.

John Rotert
02-14-2018, 1:26 PM
During a Trace, I will usually set the Color Mode to "Black & White".

I just tried a Trace again with the same raster file. After obtaining the results from the Trace, I noticed white filled or white outlined curves (as well as black curves) in Object Manager. I deleted (or moved to another layer) all the white curves via Object Manager, while watching the art to make sure I didn't loose any detail. Now I have just the black areas as filled curves. I will try this method from now on, but this seems like a winner!

Mike Chance in Iowa
02-14-2018, 2:31 PM
You should not have had any white if you removed the background. Look at Kev's second screen shot.

John Rotert
02-14-2018, 7:03 PM
PERFECT! I missed the "Remove Color from Entire Object" check box.

Dave Sheldrake
02-15-2018, 9:49 AM
That's why for any tracing I use FlexiSIGN, the bezier trace is close to flawless for conversions even on RGB / CMYK images