PDA

View Full Version : Couldn't resist: Ordered LN Tapered Dovetail Saw

Frederick Skelly
02-12-2018, 10:30 PM
Been eyeballing one for a long time. Got a few bucks in a small bonus and decided to pull the trigger.
Should be a nice addition to my 2 LVs and my two Dozuki's.

(Not that I needed another saw. This was purely a "want".;) )

Dominik Dudkiewicz
02-12-2018, 10:51 PM
Been eyeballing one for a long time. Got a few bucks in a small bonus and decided to pull the trigger.
Should be a nice addition to my 2 LVs and my two Dozuki's.

It's a great saw, I'm sure you'll love it.

There are no "Needs" in hobby woodworking. Only wants ;). So get what makes you happy I think.

I have the LN thin plate, tapered dovetail like yours. A Bad Axe Stilletto dovetail, a Bad Axe Don Williams dovetail and some dozuki's. No regrets and won't part with any! Though I have no plans for more dovetail saws... unless you count a Bad Axe sash in rip tooth for cutting large bench end cap dovetails a dovetail saw...

Cheers, Dom

Patrick Chase
02-12-2018, 11:21 PM

Sounds like an ironclad, solidly justified requirement to me.

brian zawatsky
02-12-2018, 11:24 PM
Enjoy your new favorite dovetail saw!

Mike Henderson
02-13-2018, 10:40 AM
The LN dovetail saw is my go-to saw for dovetails. I think you'll enjoy it.

Also, note that if it ever needs sharpening, LN will sharpen it for you for a reasonable price.

Mike

lowell holmes
02-13-2018, 11:01 AM
I have owned a LN dovetail saw for years. It is not tapered, but it is a joy to use.

Jim Koepke
02-13-2018, 11:56 AM
(Not that I needed another saw. This was purely a "want". ;) )

Sometimes it is better to give in to our "wants" than to try and do without them. Most likely you will never "want" to let go of a good thing wants (once) you have it.

There are no "Needs" in hobby woodworking.

There is one... every one who wants to call themselves a woodworker needs some wood now and again. :D

jtk

David Eisenhauer
02-13-2018, 6:16 PM
Man can not live by needs only.

Ted Phillips
02-14-2018, 2:54 PM
This is a great saw - you'll enjoy using it!
TedP

Frederick Skelly
02-14-2018, 8:07 PM
Thanks guys! Can't wait!
Fred

Hasin Haroon
02-14-2018, 10:13 PM
The thin plate tapered dovetail and carcass saws from LN are my absolute favourite back saws. Great choice!

Jerry Olexa
02-15-2018, 1:05 AM
I love mine..You made a great choice!!!

Frederick Skelly
02-25-2018, 7:00 PM
Used it today for the fist time to make some practice DT's in Douglas Fir.

Just as you all said, this really is A Very Nice Saw!
I love mine too!

Fred

Tony Zaffuto
02-26-2018, 5:26 AM
Used it today for the fist time to make some practice DT's in Douglas Fir.

Just as you all said, this really is A Very Nice Saw!
I love mine too!

Fred

Excellent saw, and mine was also not needed, but has jumped ahead of other DT saws I had. Excellent value!

Mike Henderson
03-26-2018, 3:54 PM
After all the positive reviews on the tapered LN saw, I ordered one today. I have four LN dovetail saws but wanted to see if the tapered one worked better than the straight.

And, by the way, the older LN dovetail saws were 9 inches. The new ones are 10 inches.

Mike

Andrew Hughes
03-27-2018, 8:17 PM
What on the saw is Taperd Mike? I don't know if I need one :confused:

Mike Henderson
03-27-2018, 8:23 PM
What on the saw is Tapered Mike? I don't know if I need one :confused:

On the older LN dovetail saw, the distance from the teeth to the backing was exactly the same at the front of the saw and the back of the saw. On the "tapered saw", the distance from the teeth to the backing is 1/4 inch less in the front than in the back. I agree that "tapered" is a confusing word for this since the plate of some saws is tapered in thickness.

Mike

[The claim is that you can watch your cut as you approach your gauge line (on the front of the board) and your cut will be away from your gauge line in the back. You can do the same thing by just tilting your saw as you cut.]

Tony Zaffuto
03-28-2018, 5:00 AM
The saw plate is also thinner. It's a lovely saw, at a great price (I own a number of "newer" and vintage DR saws, and the LN is one of the best).

lowell holmes
03-28-2018, 5:10 PM
Next om your list might be the LN carcass saws. I have them both.

Frederick Skelly
03-28-2018, 8:25 PM
Next om your list might be the LN carcass saws. I have them both.

Yah, Lowell. That's crossed my mind for sure!

Rob Luter
03-29-2018, 5:10 PM
I have the dovetail and the carcass saw, both non tapered. Fine saws both. I’m thinking of selling off my antiques and getting a couple tenon saws, one rip and one crosscut.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2018, 8:13 PM
I received the LN tapered dovetail saw and made a few cuts with it. So far, it's pretty much the same as the non-tapered dovetail saw. The plate is a bit thinner. The older plate is about 0.5 mm (I only have metric micrometers) and the new one is about 0.39mm.

Mike