PDA

View Full Version : Well finally gonna do it...

Keith Christopher
11-11-2005, 2:32 AM
I am building my own vaccum press. I have been using clamps and my success is good. I did the spacebag thing but I want more ! I was looking on JoeWoodworker.com and I am going to build my own venturi press. I have a 20gal compressor so I think this is the way to go. I will post pictures when in progress and when done and let you all know how it works for me. If this works for me I'm gonna build a bag and frame system and see how that goes. If you have a 20+ compressor you can build this for under 200.00. and get ~21" hg runing 80-90 PSI. Well anyway when my kit arrives from joe ww I'll begin and keep you all updated.

Keith

Cecil Arnold
11-11-2005, 9:26 AM
Keith, I built the JWW pump system and can pull 25" hg without a problem. The only thing close to a problem is the system itself which seems to have too many leaks. It cycles about every 5 min. which is more than I would like, but the bag will hold well for the time needed for the glue to set. I've glued and calked every connection and joint but it still cycles. If you turn you will love vacuum chucking. Even with the problems I have I really like the system.

tod evans
11-11-2005, 9:57 AM
voice of experience here; think long and hard about running a venturi on such a small compressor. most venturi pumps are air hungry and most compressors mounted on a 20gal. tank don`t deliver a lot of cfm..please check your numbers before spending the bucks. tod

Keith Christopher
11-11-2005, 1:30 PM
Tod,

I spoke with Joe and he said depending on the size of the bag 20+ gallons in the venturi system will pull about 21" Hg. More is better of course and it may cause me to buy a bigger compressor, but I don't see a problem with that. :)

Keith

tod evans
11-11-2005, 3:52 PM
cool! i just didn`t want you hoping for champagne and getting vinegar. you`ll never regret going with a venturi vacuum i love mine but it loves air! if i can ever be of assistance don`t hesitate to ask. tod

Dennis Peacock
04-05-2007, 11:56 PM
Welcome to SMC Bob.!!! Glad to have ya onboard. :)

Joe Jensen
04-06-2007, 12:43 AM
I am building my own vaccum press. I have been using clamps and my success is good. I did the spacebag thing but I want more ! I was looking on JoeWoodworker.com and I am going to build my own venturi press. I have a 20gal compressor so I think this is the way to go. I will post pictures when in progress and when done and let you all know how it works for me. If this works for me I'm gonna build a bag and frame system and see how that goes. If you have a 20+ compressor you can build this for under 200.00. and get ~21" hg runing 80-90 PSI. Well anyway when my kit arrives from joe ww I'll begin and keep you all updated.

Keith

Keith, take a look at the pumps available at surplus city dot com. For around $100 you will get a pump that will draw 25" very quickly. I didn't need to add any tanks or anything like that for capacity. I just put on a filter and a check valve. While I haven't heard a venturi setup, I have to assume that a vacuum pump is MUCH quieter...joe

Don Abele
04-06-2007, 7:52 AM
Keith, I built the venturi pump for JWW several years ago when I was laminating a table top. It was fairly easy to build (couple of hours) and cheaper than what pumps were going for then. I have since seen those pumps (like mentioned above) going for under $100.

The venturi works very well - I am using a 60 gal IR compressor and it doesn't even blink with the venturi. You do have ensure a tight build or it will leak a lot and cycle (as mentioned above). I had a lot of problems with the bag I built and eventually ended up just buying a pre-made bag.

Other than cycling your compressor, the only down side to this system is IT IS LOUD!!! So be prepared for that.

Best of luck with your system.

Be well,

Doc