PDA

View Full Version : Plastics Suppliers

Michael Stockdale
02-12-2018, 9:58 AM
Hello everyone!

Looking for a reliable source for some 3/8" clear acrylic sheet... I want to build a couple of router jigs and my local box store only has 1/4" sheet. Amazon's suppliers seem pretty poor (bad reviews), so I'm asking the hive. Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

Jim Becker
02-12-2018, 10:02 AM
Check Google for local plastic suppliers..."big box" stores are not the best source for materials like this. and you want Lexan, not Plexiglas for guards and router jigs as it doesn't shatter from impact. Plexi does. Many times, these local plastics suppliers are buried in industrial park settings and hidden from the eye. So given that "yellow pages" is a lost resource in many areas, Google is your friend. :)

Geoff Crimmins
02-12-2018, 10:27 AM
The glass and window shops where I live also sell acrylic and polycarbonate sheet. And they can order most other types of plastics from their supplier.

Adam Herman
02-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Many of the industrial places have cheap remnants sold by the lb also. many times Remnants to them are large pieces to a hobbyist.

a local company here has one Friday per month that is 1/2 price and open to the public to pick through their cut off bins.

Michael Stockdale
02-12-2018, 11:09 AM
Check Google for local plastic suppliers..."big box" stores are not the best source for materials like this. and you want Lexan, not Plexiglas for guards and router jigs as it doesn't shatter from impact. Plexi does. Many times, these local plastics suppliers are buried in industrial park settings and hidden from the eye. So given that "yellow pages" is a lost resource in many areas, Google is your friend. :)

So, which is lexan... Acrylic or polycarbonate?

Randy Viellenave
02-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Tap Plastics (formerly Ridout) has been my go to for 25 years. I don't use much, but I can get anything, and custom cut too (small as possible for shipping). http://www.tapplastics.com/

Geoff Crimmins
02-12-2018, 12:42 PM
So, which is lexan... Acrylic or polycarbonate?

Polycarbonate.

Mike Cary
02-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Usplastics.com
Has anything you need. Ships ups. For anything you want to last in acrylic, use cast acrylic not extruded. Extruded crazes more easily. They also have HDPE in all thicknesses which work great for when you need a slick surface.

Yes, tap plastics also a good place. I used a lot of plastic in my salt water aquarium days.