PDA

View Full Version : Show me your chisel racks

John C Cox
02-11-2018, 11:24 PM
Hey guys,

I need to make a bench top or wall mounted chisel rack and need some ideas...

What is your favorite one you have made? Pix please. :D :D

Also - do you do anything differently for socket chisels vs tang chisels. I would hate to find the beautiful socket chisel irons all chipped up after a bout with a concrete floor one morning after the Socket Handle Fairy came for a visit...

Thanks

Andrew Seemann
02-12-2018, 12:18 AM
Mine are in my hand tool cabinet. I like them in a cabinet, so I can close the door when little ones are in the shop. The socket chisels hang on the narrow part of the socket, so they can't fall even if (when) the handle loosens. The tang chisels hang on the handle end; I have never had a problem with handles loosening on them.

I also have a board in front of the ends as a blade guard. Exposed chisel blades are a big pet peeve of mine. It is way to easy to drag a knuckle across one or jamb something into the blade or knock one off the rack.

Andrew Seemann
02-12-2018, 12:21 AM
Sorry about the extra pictures, not sure how they got there, or how to delete them.

ken hatch
02-12-2018, 1:50 AM
John,

Careful what you ask for.

I'll start on the East wall of the shop.

Still on East wall but a little North:

Then in the Sharpening cabinet above. Right door:

Left door:

Two more walls to go.

ken hatch
02-12-2018, 1:59 AM
The North wall is behind the main work bench and holds racks for the most used chisels. That's not quite true, The mortise chisels and the Japanese on the East wall also get lots of love. A better statement would be the most used Western bench chisels.

Behind the tool chest:

To the left and above the working tool cabinet:

Still more,

ken

Patrick Chase
02-12-2018, 2:06 AM
Still more,

Let me guess: You don't have a problem because you can stop buying chisels any time you want?

PS - There are some exquisite chisels in that collection, obviously. Thanks for sharing.

ken hatch
02-12-2018, 2:07 AM
The West wall just has one rack and only a few chisels:

Finally, what happens when you have too many chisels. You start building boxes for them and once in a box they never see the light of day again.

It is a sickness. You only need a few chisels to build most anything. But I sure do love pre-1933 Marple chisels and Japanese chisels are works of art and everyone needs a few pigstickers and.........

ken

ken hatch
02-12-2018, 2:09 AM
Let me guess: You don't have a problem because you can stop buying chisels any time you want?

My name is Ken......

Thanks Patrick, The Freud chisels in the box with the Japanese mortising chisels were the first chisels I purchased back in the 70s along with the Sorby Sash Mortising chisels on the West wall. It has been fun buying and using the different chisels over the years.

ken

Malcolm Schweizer
02-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Mine is a piece of slatwall with two magnetic tool holders mounted to it to hold chisels, and metal hangers to hold the mallets. The reason I used two magnetic holders is to hold them firmly without them moving every time I bump them. The two holders provide support low and high on the blade. Works like a dream.

Derek Cohen
02-12-2018, 11:05 AM
I built this chisel holder on the weekend. Does this count? :)

https://s19.postimg.org/6uulgu75f/image.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Prashun Patel
02-12-2018, 11:41 AM
I like the keyhole-slots-in-a-block racks.

These are rather universal. They'll hold marking gauges, chisels, rasps, small mallets, turning tools and accessories, even glasses.

Matt Lau
02-12-2018, 12:33 PM
Hey Prashun,

I can't see your pictures.

Brian Holcombe
02-12-2018, 12:54 PM
Good stuff, gents, very good stuff!

I guess I just cannot resist, but I have various racks some are a bit hodge-podge and others are a bit more carefully produced. I have a line boring machine now so I might remake some of the longer racks so that everything is a bit more perfect/perfect. I used it to my the drill bit rack recently and was quite impressed by how nice the result is.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_9332.jpg

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_9333.jpg

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_9334.jpg

I have storage behind the fusuma for some festool things and I managed to get a craftsman toolbox in there as well and put all of my hardware and odd bits in there, drills, taps, files, etc.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/IMG_9335.jpg

This is from a month ago, but nothing really has changed in that corner.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/img_9148-3572981185-1515388027721.jpg

steven c newman
02-12-2018, 1:26 PM
Hmmm..afraid to show my little system..
Was a section to the right for squares....they have moved out, to allow more chisels in,,,and a screwdriver or three, maybe a rasp...IF you read the build blogs I post, you will see the entire mess ....
Had this rack for awhile....until I needed the holder for an eggbeater til....so
I made a "dresser for chisels" that sits under the bench..
And holds all the older, less used chisels...
Out of sight, out of mind?

Patrick Chase
02-12-2018, 1:58 PM

I guess I just cannot resist, but I have various racks some are a bit hodge-podge and others are a bit more carefully produced. I have a line boring machine now so I might remake some of the longer racks so that everything is a bit more perfect/perfect. I used it to my the drill bit rack recently and was quite impressed by how nice the result is.

Here in California we have a name for meticulously made vertical racks like that: Earthquake bait.

It's every bit as fate-tempting as having the most blinged-out double-wide in Kansas.

Robert Engel
02-12-2018, 2:16 PM

Magnets hold the blades in place.

Barney Markunas
02-12-2018, 2:24 PM
Ken, you must have a VERY understanding better half. I would have heard "don't you already have chisels that do that?" when construction of the second rack started.
Brian, carpeting is probably kind to old bones and maybe even the unfortunately dropped tool, but isn't is a headache to clean?

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Brian Holcombe
02-12-2018, 2:25 PM
Here in California we have a name for meticulously made vertical racks like that: Earthquake bait.

It's every bit as fate-tempting as having the most blinged-out double-wide in Kansas.

If I lived in California I'd likely change them, but I like having everything right next to the tool/workbench that I use it at. it minimizes how often I'm digging through a toolbox. I'm guilty of buying things double for the fact that it's in a toolbox and forgotten about, this way that doesn't happen.

It may look fragile but it's actually pretty difficult to knock something off of most of these racks, especially the planes. I have a two year old who likes to visit the workshop (while I'm there) and so everything is increasingly made difficult for short people to get and increasingly sturdy. He's found a few things I've had in a toolbox and at which point they're immediately hung up on a wall where they're much harder to get. It's 'fun' for him to dig through some of the hardware I have in the bottom of one of my craftsman toolbox.

Dan Hulbert
02-12-2018, 3:05 PM
378928This is a wall hanging cabinet I recently made for my chisels. After it was done, I found that I had omitted the 7/8 chisel. Deconstruct and reconstruct. Handles sit in recesses, blades are tilted slightly and are held in place by rare earth magnets. I'm rather short so I needed the handles lower and thought this design might limit my opportunities for blood loss. Still working out what is going into the lid and how it will be held in place.

mike holden
02-12-2018, 3:44 PM
My setup is a wee bit different as it captures the chisels by the blades. I screwed together several layers of plywood with grooves for the blades in the appropriate layer. I screwed it together so I could add or change grooves as needed. I have yet to replace a row, but have added several new grooves over the years.

Mike

lowell holmes
02-12-2018, 3:58 PM
Showoffs, my chisels are in a leather roll.

Malcolm Schweizer
02-12-2018, 4:07 PM

I have storage behind the fusuma for some festool things and I managed to get a craftsman toolbox in there as well and put all of my hardware and odd bits in there, drills, taps, files, etc.

https://brianholcombewoodworker.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/img_9148-3572981185-1515388027721.jpg

Love your shop! Please tell me that's a granite surface plate and not a giant natural waterstone, because I would die if that's a giant natural waterstone. :-)

Tony Wilkins
02-12-2018, 4:27 PM
Showoffs, my chisels are in a leather roll.
Mine too. Well, one leather and one canvas.

Brian Holcombe
02-12-2018, 5:20 PM
Love your shop! Please tell me that's a granite surface plate and not a giant natural waterstone, because I would die if that's a giant natural waterstone. :-)

Thanks Malcolm!

Hah, yeah that is a granite surface plate. I've seen a natural stone that size, but a bit beyond me i'm sure.

Patrick Chase
02-12-2018, 5:26 PM

Yeah, same here. That shop is a thing of beauty.

Brian Holcombe
02-12-2018, 11:17 PM
Yeah, same here. That shop is a thing of beauty.

Thanks Patrick!

Hasin Haroon
02-14-2018, 1:02 AM
Here are (most of) mine. Not as elaborate as some others, but they were quick to build. It’s basically two strips of hardwood glued together with small spacers in between. The spacer is thicker to accommodate mortise chisels, thinner for regular chisels. For socket chisels, be sure to make the spacers thicker than the blades but less thick than your socket - that’ll prevent them from falling. The leather bit for the Ashley Ike’s is to prevent them from cutting me when I’m reaching for the chisels below them. I also use chisel rolls, as you can see. Just nail them in and they make excellent racks.

ken hatch
02-14-2018, 6:13 AM
Ken, you must have a VERY understanding better half. I would have heard "don't you already have chisels that do that?" when construction of the second rack started.
Brian, carpeting is probably kind to old bones and maybe even the unfortunately dropped tool, but isn't is a headache to clean?

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Barney,

LOL, I do get an occasional "side eye" when the UPS girl drops off a package, but I've learned to act like I didn't notice and start talking about what is in the package. Once I start "building the clock" she quickly loses interest. A man has to be quick on his feet.

ken

Stanley Covington
02-14-2018, 7:24 AM

Brian:

You need to get a long level!

Todd Stock
02-14-2018, 7:38 AM
Single piece of wood with back edge angle adjusted to tilt the tool blade into contact with the backing boards (2' x 4' 3/4' ply on horizontal ledger strips). The backer boards are peppered with old screw holds that speak to how often things have been rearranged, which is why I prefer this approach to cabinets or chests. The angle on the back edge of the holder is what keeps the socket chisels stable in a constant diameter hole, so no need to generate a reamer to taper. Second guard strip under the blade is there to prevent any issues when a careless student returns a tool to the board with bevel toward backing boards - looks like it is in contact with the handle, but clears by enough to prevent any interference. Trim head screws for the kicker strips and standard deck screws or drywall screws for the holders, countersunk as needed to clear the tool ferrule. I make make up the holder with a square back edge, then trim until all of the blades just touch the backing board, with cranked neck stuff set up to lie in contact with the backer.

I've found that with students, closed holders are more likely to produce dropped tools (versus the lift-and-pull open racks), so other than the mortise chisels and floats, most are open. There's another board in the repair section of the shop that had some duplicates, but mostly my personal stuff that I prefer not to share. All of the specialty luthiery tools are in roll-arounds on the repair side, carving tools in drawer-stored rolls (I don't do enough carving - besides necks and bracing - to justify the wall space), and the boatbuilding and timber framing edges and saws live in site boxes back in the storage room.

Phil Mueller
02-14-2018, 7:57 AM
Just the standard keyhole rack. In the two years that they have been in these racks, only one chisel has fallen from the handle. In my case, they don’t have far to drop. if i were hanging them over concrete, I would probably use one of the other ways posted above.

Marty R Schlosser
02-14-2018, 8:38 AM
Why, it has the "pipe organ" look to it, Derek! How stylish of you!!

I built this chisel holder on the weekend. Does this count? :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Al Launier
02-14-2018, 9:27 AM
I have a simple solution: fewer chisels! After all, how many chisels does one really need?

Brian Holcombe
02-14-2018, 9:33 AM
Brian:

You need to get a long level!

Hah! :D

Cheers,
Brian

Derek Cohen
02-14-2018, 9:44 AM
Why, it has the "pipe organ" look to it, Derek! How stylish of you!!

Marty, things have changed somewhat since you were last here :)

I need to make a bench top or wall mounted chisel rack and need some ideas...

The chisels I use are in the tool tray behind the bench ...

https://s19.postimg.org/etow8ckgz/2a_zpsr3knvswv.jpg

Until needed, others are packed out of sight. Some ...

https://s19.postimg.org/cxsvi64df/Images_Of_My_Woodshop_html_5f2efa7a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Malcolm Schweizer
02-14-2018, 10:54 AM
I have a simple solution: fewer chisels! After all, how many chisels does one really need?

This is really my wife, posing as Al Launier, isn’t it? You’re not fooling me, honey, and I’m not getting rid of any of my chisels. Nice try.

Malcolm McLeod
02-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Holes drilled with unibit(s); gives some taper and adjusting the depth allows various sizes ferrules/sockets to sit securely.
The shelves are on sliding dovetail, so they can be removed and remade when the Acquisition Virus strikes me down.
Non-sharp stuff gets put elsewhere - to minimize the bloodletting.

Patrick Chase
02-14-2018, 12:56 PM
Bonus points for hanging your chisel cabinets on the doors of your existing wall cabinets. Now *that* is efficient space utilization.

Further extra credit should be awarded for the complete set of Buck-of-Borg chisels.

Malcolm McLeod
02-14-2018, 1:13 PM
... the complete set of Buck-of-Borg chisels.

^ ~40yo hand-me-downs from a cousin. They are kept closest to the door and are the renowned Stanley Neighbor's Borrowing-series: equally adept at chiseling, paint scraping, prying, can opening, brick laying, lawn-darts, and window-sash-latching! :D

Jim Koepke
02-14-2018, 1:57 PM

Blasphemy!

Remind me to never let you meet my wife.

One always needs chisels that are of lower quality as loaners. Then spares of those in case one never comes back or another neighbor wants to borrow one that another neighbor is borrowing.

Then there are chisel for paring, chisels for mortising, chisels for cleaning - cutting dados, butt chisels for mounting hinges and other hardware, chisels for use with a mallet and of course all the back up chisels so one doesn't have to sharpen as often. Then there should be a few more just because.

jtk

steven c newman
02-14-2018, 2:24 PM
Sometimes, you need to have a drawer to stash some in..
When there seems to be a few too many..
Some just get tossed in a drawer, for another day...

Norman Pirollo
02-14-2018, 5:41 PM
A few of my chisels in this enclosed cabinet.. bevel-edge and mortise. Keeps the dust out. the most-used chisels I tend to keep on my workbenches but debating whether to make a small, vertical chisel holder for the center-mounted tool trays of the workbenches. This would keep the chisels from rolling around the workbench top although these little horizontal stands come in handy..379092 379093

Mike Baker 2
02-14-2018, 5:52 PM
Blasphemy!

Remind me to never let you meet my wife.

One always needs chisels that are of lower quality as loaners. Then spares of those in case one never comes back or another neighbor wants to borrow one that another neighbor is borrowing.

Then there are chisel for paring, chisels for mortising, chisels for cleaning - cutting dados, butt chisels for mounting hinges and other hardware, chisels for use with a mallet and of course all the back up chisels so one doesn't have to sharpen as often. Then there should be a few more just because.

jtk

Sounds reasonable.

Brian Holcombe
02-15-2018, 9:32 AM
Need is relative, as Jim notes.

I do have one really ugly chisel that can be a loaner, but I've never been asked.

Andrey Kharitonkin
02-16-2018, 4:59 AM
Hi John! I'm only planning to build mine. So, this is very useful to me too. :)

I've recently seen this one that I really like:

The rack itself also serves as a guard to protect edges of chisels that are in the rack above. And it holds chisels at 15° angle. Picture is taken from this video: https://youtu.be/5YOD_ZXIULc?t=7m41s

Matthew Hills
02-16-2018, 10:43 AM
I liked Jim Tolpin's arrangement, with chisels resting on an angled shelf behind his bench. This isn't highest density, but it gives very good access to your core chisels. I did something similar just below my joinery saws, although I put small wooden dividers to keep the irons from bumping..

See ~2:50 in his shop tour video:
https://www.byhandandeye.com/tour-of-jims-handtool-only-shop/

Frank Necaise
02-17-2018, 1:51 PM
Work in progress still. 379255

Matt Lau
02-17-2018, 2:30 PM
I just checked this.

You guys are total class

Patrick Chase
02-17-2018, 4:19 PM
I just checked this.

You guys are total class

Every time I see this thread's title bubble up I'm tempted to post something that would probably not be considered "total class"...

Brian Holcombe
02-17-2018, 6:44 PM
Post it up, please. 👹

Stanley Covington
02-17-2018, 8:26 PM
Work in progress still. 379255

I like it! A plane sauna :D

Bill McNiel
02-18-2018, 9:38 PM
FWIW -

I pretty much use the "Keyhole" approach.

Phil Mueller
02-19-2018, 8:08 AM
Nice shop, Bill!

Sheldon Funk
02-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Is this close enough to wall mounted? Three of the top drawers hold my minimal set of chisels

I don't need many chisels, however I do have chisel envy looking at Brian and Derek's stashes :)

379378 379379 379380

Mike Henderson
02-19-2018, 2:10 PM
I keep mine in canvas rolls. When I started woodworking (after I retired) I built a tool box to hold my tools. The problem was that my tools were always changing. I would add new planes, and sell a few that I wasn't satisfied with. And I wouldn't have room for the new things. Same with chisels. Mostly I added chisels but I also sold some. The "tool box" approach just didn't work for me.

Then I began teaching and had to take my tools with me. Chisels in rolls were much more convenient for that.

So today, I take out whatever roll of chisels I want to use and lay them on my workspace. They keep my chisels ready at hand and organized. If they get dull while I'm working and I don't want to sharpen right then, I'll get another roll and lay them over the previous roll.

Finally, I discovered that if I leave tools "exposed" to the atmosphere, such as in racks, they rust. In a roll, they don't rust.

Mike

Brian Holcombe
02-19-2018, 4:08 PM
Is this close enough to wall mounted? Three of the top drawers hold my minimal set of chisels

I don't need many chisels, however I do have chisel envy looking at Brian and Derek's stashes :)

379378 379379 379380

Nice setup!

Sheldon Funk
02-19-2018, 8:34 PM
Thanks Brian! It may not be as refined as your space but I do enjoy working out of my shrine to handtools :)

paul cottingham
02-19-2018, 10:23 PM

Are you being sarcastic? :-)

ken hatch
02-19-2018, 10:27 PM
Are you being sarcastic? :-)

I would hope so.

ken

Charles Wiggins
02-20-2018, 7:06 AM
379466. 379467

Pat Barry
02-20-2018, 7:59 AM
379466. 379467
I like this one as I have the same chisel set and hadn't decided on a holder yet.

Nicholas Lawrence
02-20-2018, 8:26 AM
Mine is very simple. 1” holes in a board. The handles just catch. Would have to do something else if I had larger chisels I guess (I do, they stay in a drawer, but these are the ones I use the most). Someday I will have time to put proper shelves and cabinets along the wall. Other things further up the list of priorities though.

steven c newman
02-20-2018, 8:47 AM
My users are located right where I can reach them, as needed
Not pretty,,but works..

Nicholas Lawrence
02-20-2018, 9:30 AM
My users are located right where I can reach them, as needed

. . .

Not pretty,,but works..

I agree that is pretty important. That wall is right behind me when I work at the bench, so I just turn around and grab what I need. One or two might be out on the bench, but having the storage close to hand makes it easier to keep the bench reasonably clear, which means I don’t seem to have the problems some people describe where their tools are always leaping to their death on the floor.

Alexander Zagubny
06-27-2018, 7:17 AM
Mine is temporarily, standard keyholes, sides are reinforced with screws. That was the one I could make in the shortest time.

However I would like to share chisel rack I saw in that video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7rQNsLGDAQ), one is used by Vsevolod Poltavtsev. I think it's interesting for not having any sockets or holes so it's more generic. It also provides compact storage for a bunch of chisels.

Jeff Ranck
06-27-2018, 10:16 AM
for whatever reason, I can't see the photos you've posted.

ken hatch
06-27-2018, 10:22 AM
Mine is temporarily, standard keyholes, sides are reinforced with screws. That was the one I could make in the shortest time.

However I would like to share chisel rack I saw in that video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7rQNsLGDAQ), one is used by Vsevolod Poltavtsev. I think it's interesting for not having any sockets or holes so it's more generic. It also provides compact storage for a bunch of chisels.

Alexander,

I had a couple of chisel racks like those for a few years. You are correct that it provides space for more chisels but, there is that damn but, the chisels tend to "wedge" into the rack making removal of especially the large chisels difficult. I have found with tanged chisels a keyhole type rack works better. For socket type chisels a floored rack like shown would probably work well.

ken

John C Cox
06-27-2018, 11:31 AM
I agree that is pretty important. That wall is right behind me when I work at the bench, so I just turn around and grab what I need. One or two might be out on the bench, but having the storage close to hand makes it easier to keep the bench reasonably clear, which means I don’t seem to have the problems some people describe where their tools are always leaping to their death on the floor.

That's how I end up using the beaters more and leaving the good ones in the drawer.... They are close at hand - not safe in their box.....

It's sad to say I still haven't got around to building a chisel rack... I keep getting side tracked by stuff like making guitars, fishing, and making a wooden duck with the daughter....

steven c newman
06-27-2018, 12:04 PM
I have a habit, when working at the bench...usually 2-5 chisels are on the bench.....I usually just hang the ones not in my hand, down a dog hole.....unless they are too wide. I merely have to remember which handle belongs to which sized chisel.. Goes the same with screwdrivers, and the scratch awl.

bridger berdel
06-27-2018, 7:20 PM
Most of my chisels are in drawers. I have a set of site work chisels that have evolved a semi-fitted box after wearing out a few tool rolls. My primary bench is in the center of the shop, so no wall at hand for hanging stuff from. A few steps away though, drawers full of chisels. Bench chisels sorted by width from iirc 2" down to 1/16" or so, carving gouges and related stuff in a less organized state, heavy timber frame stuff and hard-to-categorize. All told prolly 100 count or so.

ken hatch
06-27-2018, 8:55 PM
Most of my chisels are in drawers. I have a set of site work chisels that have evolved a semi-fitted box after wearing out a few tool rolls. My primary bench is in the center of the shop, so no wall at hand for hanging stuff from. A few steps away though, drawers full of chisels. Bench chisels sorted by width from iirc 2" down to 1/16" or so, carving gouges and related stuff in a less organized state, heavy timber frame stuff and hard-to-categorize. All told prolly 100 count or so.

Bridger,

I've seen your shop, 100 count is a few short :D.

ken

Mike Holbrook
06-27-2018, 11:56 PM
I have used a jewelry cabinet the wife was going to throw away for years now. The drawers are lined in valour, some even have slots for individual chisels. The top section does open. I plan to replace the pegs in the doors with magnetic strips, for the chisels in use, replace more of the drawer pulls/knobs.....

Actually many of my chisels, gouges, rasps, floats......are currently in tool rolls as they get moved between the new and old home. Tool rolls have benefits too. Some are also in Festool tool boxes that travel well on a Festool cart/hand truck.

Kees Heiden
06-28-2018, 4:21 AM
Chisel rack? I like it simple. Just some battens screwed to a wooden back panel. It's very adaptable for all kind of stuff and I don't have any problems with it in use.

Patrick Walsh
06-28-2018, 9:43 AM
Not quite finished.

Needs finish and ebony pegs to plug the screw holes used to mount it to the wall.

Birdseye slab is going to be for my handplane collection ;)

It has tapered battens of sorts that are attached with only sliding dovetails “no glue” to allow for cross grain wood movement and also help keep the panel flat top to bottom. The taper is to give the panel a slight tilt off the wall as for the planes to stay put.

Robert Engel
06-28-2018, 9:52 AM
Magnets imbedded in a strip hold blades firmly.

les winter
06-28-2018, 10:18 AM
Hello Steve.
What are the chisels in the upper drawer sitting in? The white thing?

Derek Cohen
06-28-2018, 10:21 AM
If you look across my bench ...

https://s19.postimg.cc/c6guqoalf/2a_zpsr3knvswv.jpg

... the bench chisels most used are in a rack against the wall ...

https://s19.postimg.cc/9lfu8i00j/image.jpg

The majority of my chisels are kept in a cabinet. I generally only take out those that will be used ...

https://s19.postimg.cc/cxsvi64df/Images_Of_My_Woodshop_html_5f2efa7a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Patrick Walsh
06-28-2018, 11:06 AM
Derek,

If you ever re tempted to sell the Kiyohisa pairing chisels you know where to find me ;)

Rob Luter
06-28-2018, 2:48 PM
My clumsy, yet functional approach.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1830/42327947994_67aec58ba5_b.jpg

Derek Cohen
06-28-2018, 8:00 PM
Derek,

If you ever re tempted to sell the Kiyohisa pairing chisels you know where to find me ;)

Patrick, I hope you live that long. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bob Bouis
06-29-2018, 9:44 PM

Looked pretty good until the plexiglass cracked around the screw hole. It turns out boards get wider or narrower when humidity changes??

Brian Holcombe
06-30-2018, 10:07 AM
Not quite finished.

Needs finish and ebony pegs to plug the screw holes used to mount it to the wall.

Birdseye slab is going to be for my handplane collection ;)

It has tapered battens of sorts that are attached with only sliding dovetails “no glue” to allow for cross grain wood movement and also help keep the panel flat top to bottom. The taper is to give the panel a slight tilt off the wall as for the planes to stay put.

Nice work!

Jim Koepke
06-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Looked pretty good until the plexiglass cracked around the screw hole. It turns out boards get wider or narrower when humidity changes??

That is why it is a good idea to elongate screw holes in the cross grain direction when attaching rigid items to wood.

jtk

Bob Bouis
06-30-2018, 11:43 AM
That is why it is a good idea to elongate screw holes in the cross grain direction when attaching rigid items to wood.

jtk
The back wasn't going to be seen so I drilled them all the way through. Isn't that long enough? Hmm.

John Kananis
06-30-2018, 12:56 PM
The back wasn't going to be seen so I drilled them all the way through. Isn't that long enough? Hmm.

"Sideways" through the cross-grain not through.

Jim Koepke
06-30-2018, 3:32 PM

The idea is to elongate the holes in the plastic so the screws can move with the wood and not transfer force to the plastic.

If the screws are countersunk machine screws, then the holes in the wood can be elongated, oval shaped instead of round, as long as the nut on the back is free to move against the wood.

jtk